Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice.Car started to sputter under electrical load.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice.Car started to sputter under electrical load.

Ok here's the deal. Car had a recent tune up 2 months ago. 91lx with 150k miles on her. Lastnight on the way home I was running the ac car driving fine. I get to a stoplight then car started to sputter real bad. rpm started dropping bad and going back to normal. I turned off the ac and she smoothed right out. Well today i went to get gas and same thing happened. Sounds like im running a big cam in it. loppy idle, very slight backfires. The backfires are more poof's than the normal POP! Rpm's drop to around 400 when i give it gas it will stumble untill i get to about 900 rpm then she clears right up. Hope someone can shine some light upon my little problem. I'm thinking it may be the icm/ ignitor but not sure. HELP!

Let me also add that no check engine light is coming on with this.

Comment

Ok no one? Well off to pull a parts to see what's up.

Comment

Still no one? Well I went to pull a parts looking to get a distributor or at least the icm and coil. None were to be found. Went to two other salvage yards both specializing in imports. Nothing... While I'm driving all over town with a busted ass car I got to thinking about it more. It cant be the coil... Bad coil would shut me down. bad icm would make the car die, tach would be jumping and all that normal shit. So i decided to stop looking for parts. She was running like i got some bad gas. I decided to take the car to my autozone, check the alt and battery and them were fine. So i figured lets change the fuel filter. I had changed it once before a little over 2 years ago. I started it up and to my excitement I had a fuel leak at the fuel filter (stupid crush washers)... Anyways got that sorted out, started it up and BAM!!! Running like a champ. I did reset the idle and reset the ecu as well. But anyways Wooo Hooo for me. I did notice the old fuel filter did weigh a lot more than the new one after i had emptied the gas out.

Comment

What was done on your tune-up?

Check the spark-plugs for proper gap and if they are black or dirty as hell replace them!
          Check the wires if they are cracked or dirty on the terminals get some new wires.....
          Check your Distibutor Cap and rotor for wear and corrosion.....
          When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Comment

Nice simple fix. congrats!

Comment

now do you think it was the crush washers or the fuel filter. and how did your ac affect this?

Comment

Working...
              X