Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mad oversteer after 4 wheel alignment HELP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad oversteer after 4 wheel alignment HELP?

Hey Guys i think i may have a problem and it's a bit nerve racking. I just got 2 new Firestone tires for the rear of my car and slightly used bridgestones for the front. I also got a 4 wheel alignment and everything is within factory spec as far as the alignment goes. I noticed my car is now handling like WOW on the streets. But the faster i go (Highway driving) It take very little effort/ movement of the steering wheel to change lanes, and its not smooth. Its hard to explain but its more of a snap into the other lane rather than a smooth ride into the other lane. I feel my car's weight transfer more now, i can feel the ass end want to break lose when taking off ramps at faster speeds. Yet my front wheels are not begging for mercy like they use too. Maybe I'm just not use to the car handling like it should. I feel this could be a potential problem.. Any idea on what the problem might be? It just don't feel safe now. I'm thinking maybe the front tires have some kind of wear pattern from the last car they were on. I will rotate the new rear tires to the front and report my findings.

try putting the new tires on the front and see what happens...

Comment

Umm no, that's what happens at factory specs. That feeling is because as you adjust the front toe more negative, it makes the steering more twitchy. If you want to stop that add a little positive toe, a little more being about .05-.1 degrees.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by oranger
        Umm no, that's what happens at factory specs. That feeling is because as you adjust the front toe more negative, it makes the steering more twitchy. If you want to stop that add a little positive toe, a little more being about .05-.1 degrees.
        X2, this will make the driving a little easier.
        DEVOTE

Comment

Why in the world would you put the new tires in the rear and used in the front?

Get a tire rotation done.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
            Why in the world would you put the new tires in the rear and used in the front?

Because of some bs law i never heard of.. Here is the story. We had a big ass ice storm coming to town so sat morning i got up and got me the alignment. It was really bad so i needed to get it done before the ice storm. This is also when i picked up the two used tires for the fronts. All was great until the next morning i woke up with a flat tire on one of the used ones. So being Saturday and having no choice i needed the tires fixed!! But i noticed they were cracked all to hell from age i guess. So the only place here that i can get tires was freaking walmart! Now this is where the law comes into play. I tell them i want the two front tires replaced but i want to save the tires so i can take them back Monday to get replacements.. They said no problem. Now the tire tech told me at this time that state law says that on a two tire sale they have to put the new tires on the back.. At this point i was like what the fuck ever just get it done so i have some half way decent tires. So they took the cracked new to me tires but used tires off and put the new ones on and rotated them to the rears. Poof done till Monday. Now Monday comes ice about 1in thick all over the roads so i call ahead to the used tire place to see if they were open. They were, so i took the 2 rotted ones back and went to the back and picked out a nice set of non cracked up Bridge stones truenzas? I think thats what they are. Very sticky i must say for a touring all season tire. Hope that answers your question... So yeah now i have some shitty walmart good years on the rear. End of story. Other than my very twitchy car when doing 60 mph and up.. But god damn it handles good in turns!
            Get a tire rotation done.
            Last edited by Gettin_faster91; 12-18-2007, 09:42 PM.

Comment

actually it's better to have the new tires in the rear, i used to work for discount tire and that's what's recommended. Its safer that way. b/c if you put your older ones in the rear, there's even more chance of oversteer. think about it.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I would agree to a point with that, but the slightly used bridge stones in this case has allot more grip that the walmart firestones (even with them being brand new). So actually putting the new ones up front that offer less grip may solve some of the problem. But i do agree with oranger with the toe settings. I think the guy doing the alignment knew after seeing the suspension set up and camber kits that i wanted it to handle so he aligned accordingly lol. It's not all that bad unless I'm going to fast in a straight line but on the twisties my god is it fun. I may adjust the tow myself this weekend, Let about half a round out on each tie rod and see if it takes some of the twitch away. By doing it that way i should not screw up the alignment it's self now that both side are set equal.

Comment

Les Schwab's does new in the front, or whichever wheels the vehicle runs off.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
                    actually it's better to have the new tires in the rear, i used to work for discount tire and that's what's recommended. Its safer that way. b/c if you put your older ones in the rear, there's even more chance of oversteer. think about it.
                    easier to regain control of the front sliding then to regain if the back end comes out on you. least that's what I've found and heard as to why that's done.
                    Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

I will never put used tires on my vehicle ever again. Tire condition is crucial on how your vehicle is going to react while driving. Could be out of round tires and you'd never know till its mounted and you're driving it at high speeds.

Go get the 2 front tires replaced with new ones that match your rears and it'll probably take away alot of the drift that you're feeling. The rears are probably biting more then the front, which is what you're feeling i bet.

FWD = New tires in front. Thats where first contact is made on the road while accelerating and steering. Putting new tires on the rear is useless with FWD.

Comment

Check tire pressure......

Back tire might have to much air them...Thus make the car twitchy....

Comment

toe

plus different tires grip differently

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                          where you been, is something wrong?
                          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto
                            easier to regain control of the front sliding then to regain if the back end comes out on you. least that's what I've found and heard as to why that's done.
                            he's half right. when you put new tires on the front, it's easyer to hyroplane the rear of the car in a rain storm at high speeds. but that only if your the type of dumb ass that driver like normal in a rain storm with half new tires. so stores tell you to put them on the back, cause you don't know how the ppl drive.

Comment

Originally posted by civicboisi
                              I will never put used tires on my vehicle ever again. Tire condition is crucial on how your vehicle is going to react while driving. Could be out of round tires and you'd never know till its mounted and you're driving it at high speeds.

Go get the 2 front tires replaced with new ones that match your rears and it'll probably take away alot of the drift that you're feeling. The rears are probably biting more then the front, which is what you're feeling i bet.

FWD = New tires in front. Thats where first contact is made on the road while accelerating and steering. Putting new tires on the rear is useless with FWD.
                              okay first off, how do the rear's bite more than the front, they have more traction but probably only during braking and cornering. And yes i was little off, putting new in the rear helps in case there's a blow-out in the front...more control. And you're right about accelerating and grip, but he said he had slightly used tires as the other two, and in our cars, there isn't GOBS of power stock, so it's not like they're being overpowered. I'd suggest either buy 2 more matching new ones or put new to rear.

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X