• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$20 says this ends in tears.
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

It won't end in tears unless he forgets to tighten the tensioner. At worst, he'll be off by a few teeth, which is no biggie. It will run like shit.

Stop being a pussy and replace the timing belt.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley
        $20 says this ends in tears.

Tears of joy. Knowing i did it myself, If i screw something up thats fine with me. It's a learning experience I'm willing to at least try and learn. But really...asinine comments like this don't help anything. Granted it's my fault for posting this in off topic. Fact of the matter is this. It's going to be changed, by me and with my own two hands. Worst case scenario is that i have to learn to change the timing belt in the process. Big whoop.

My plain of attack is as follows (When time and weather permit).

Step 1. Remove drivers side tire. Set engine to TDC.
        2. Remove Drivers side motor mount, timing and valve covers.
        3. Remove the dizzy. Going to replace the o-ring while i have access
        4. Loosen the timing belt a hair with the tensioner.
        5. Following the manual, loosen the camshaft bearing cap bolts 1/4 turn at at a time. Starting with the #3 cylinder loosen the two exhaust side camshaft bearing cap bolts. Loosen the bolt on the intake side of the assembly behind the spark plug tube. Repeat for #2 cylinder, #4, #1, and then loosen the cam bearing caps at the end #1 cylinder end of the head behind the cam gear. Finally loosen the 2 bolts at the #4 end that are closest to the distributor...
        6. Using the bungee cord to keep a good tension on the timing belt, Slide the belt off the cam gear.
        7. Lift out the old cam and replace with new one.
        8. Reinstall and tq everything back down to spec.
        9. Complete the job with a valve lash adjustment, Double, tipple check my work and fire it up. Guess i should loosen the lash before reinstalling rocker assembly. Job done. Gimme my $20 bucks. If anyone else has some useful information to add please do. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
          It won't end in tears unless he forgets to tighten the tensioner. At worst, he'll be off by a few teeth, which is no biggie. It will run like shit.

Stop being a pussy and replace the timing belt.

Not being a pussy. Just never done it before. I'm sure i can figure it out if i tear into it and get after it. Just rather not if i don't need too. But the marks I'm putting on the timing belt and cam gear should put me spot on. Assuming the belt don't slip on the lower timing gear. But the bungee cord will place enough tension to keep this from happening.

Comment

But after this is done it completes my a1 to a6 conversion. Already did the intake manifold swap and a4 exhaust manifold. Going to put the h22/23 upper plenum and tb when financing allows.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettin_faster91
              Tears of joy. Knowing i did it myself, If i screw something up thats fine with me. It's a learning experience I'm willing to at least try and learn. But really...asinine comments like this don't help anything. Granted it's my fault for posting this in off topic. Fact of the matter is this. It's going to be changed, by me and with my own two hands. Worst case scenario is that i have to learn to change the timing belt in the process. Big whoop.

My plain of attack is as follows (When time and weather permit).

Step 1. Remove drivers side tire. Set engine to TDC.
              2. Remove Drivers side motor mount, timing and valve covers.
              3. Remove the dizzy. Going to replace the o-ring while i have access
              4. Loosen the timing belt a hair with the tensioner.
              5. Following the manual, loosen the camshaft bearing cap bolts 1/4 turn at at a time. Starting with the #3 cylinder loosen the two exhaust side camshaft bearing cap bolts. Loosen the bolt on the intake side of the assembly behind the spark plug tube. Repeat for #2 cylinder, #4, #1, and then loosen the cam bearing caps at the end #1 cylinder end of the head behind the cam gear. Finally loosen the 2 bolts at the #4 end that are closest to the distributor...
              6. Using the bungee cord to keep a good tension on the timing belt, Slide the belt off the cam gear.
              7. Lift out the old cam and replace with new one.
              8. Reinstall and tq everything back down to spec.
              9. Complete the job with a valve lash adjustment, Double, tipple check my work and fire it up. Guess i should loosen the lash before reinstalling rocker assembly. Job done. Gimme my $20 bucks. If anyone else has some useful information to add please do. Thanks.

You forgot spark plug tube seals. Don't be surprised if they leak when you are done.

Also, you DON'T need to make your own marks. Use Hondas. They are much more precise.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Id replace the valve cover gasket too.
                -Mark-
                CB7
                CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

I did it in 2 hours after pulling my a6 cam from a junkyard. I did the same ghetto proses with the ratchet and extension. I also just slipped my old timing belt on and its been good for about 6k. My belt was relativly new, though.

Just go do it. it so simple

Comment

Working...
                  X