Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car safety checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car safety checks

When was the last time you did a full check over of your car?
    This thread is to advise of some basic diy checks you can do on your CB, to make and keep it safe for you and other roadusers.
    Everyones maintenance schedule will be different, But I think a good schedule would be to do this check at least once a year or each time you change your oil (whichever comes first)
    It only takes about 30-60 minutes to complete, depending on tools and equipment
    If you keep a notepad handy you can write everything down that needs attention, then once your finished decide what are the most important things to fix first.

Hopefully it will create a bit of peace of mind for yourself, and give you better knowledge of the actual condition of your CB, since You are the one that will be the doing the checks.

Car Safety checks / Preventative Maintenance

Check your lights - headlight, both high and low beam, the indicators front and rear, parking lights front and rear, number plate lights and with the help of an assistant check your brake lights including the 3rd brake light.
    Also Headlight alignment is important, No use doing it by eye against a garage wall, as being even 1 degree out translates to a 2 meter height difference over 100meters distance.

Check your wiper blades. There is nothing worse than getting caught in rain with crappy wiper blades and usually they get overlooked until this happens.
    Top up the Washer bottle and check the Washer Jets.
    If the jets are blocked a poke with a sewing pin usually gets them working again.
    Also check the jets alignment, You can re-align the jet by sticking the sewing pin into the jet and moving it in the direction you need it to go.

Check the horn operation and suitable volume.
    Check that both sunvisors freely fold up and down without forceful resistance.
    All Safety belts work correctly - This includes buckles that click when the catch is inserted, and they maintain to stay in the buckle when pulled against.
    They must then release immediately when the buckle release button is pressed.
    Also check that the inertia lock is operating correctly - The safety belt should lock solid when pulled out fast.
    Lastly the belt should fully recoil when released from its normal operating position.

All seats should be securely mounted, and mounting points free of any rust.

Open the Hood / Trunk / Gasflap

Ensure hood safety catch is operational, and all doors open from the Inside and outside.
    Check drive belts for any signs or cracks or deterioration.
    Check Radiator and Heater hoses for splits and deterioration.
    Check all under-bonnet fluid levels. Engine oil level and condition, Transmission fluid level and condition, Coolant level and condition including the overflow bottle, Battery electrolyte level, Brake Fluid level and condition.
    Check Gasflap opens, and fuel inlet cap screws in and out without problem.

Jack the car up and put it on Axle stands

Check tyres for adequate tread depth across the entire tread surface of the tyre. 1.5mm Minimum.
    If there is major wear on one side of the tyre have a wheel alignment carried out. Or a camber kit fitted and adjusted.
    Check the tyre pressures are correct and even across the tyres. Don’t forget to check the spare tyre.

Check for play in the steering inner and outer tierods, top and bottom balljoints, and wheel bearings.
    For reference on how to do this, Check here: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=119467

Remove wheels

Check brake pads / shoes thickness and condition. Usually a minimum thickness of 3mm for brake pads, and 1mm for brake shoes is a safe bet. Don’t rely on the brake pads warning pins to tell you when the pads are worn.
    Inspect the flexible brake hoses and calipers / wheel cylinders for visable leaks / wetspots.
    Any signs of external brake fluid leaks should be fixed immediately.
    Check shock absorbers for leaks, and that springs are mounted correctly.
    Refit wheels and ensure you torque the lug nuts back to spec - 80 ft/lbs

Check exhaust system for leaks, Any leaks should be fixed immediately.

Exterior

Check that all bumpers and sideskirts are securely mounted, The vehicle does not have any sharp external projections which could be hazardous to pedestrians or other road users.
    Throughout all the above checks you need to be looking out for rust also.
    All mirrors and windows should be clean and free of damage (chips, cracks etc)
    Last edited by evil_demon_01; 02-26-2009, 02:25 AM.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Now this is GUNNA material!!!!!
    5/5
    Last edited by evil_demon_01; 02-26-2009, 11:16 PM.

Originally posted by deevergote
    .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

Originally posted by turboAccordHSF View Post
      now this is GUNNA material!!!!!
      5/5
      Thanks, just trying to keep our members safe

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
        Thanks, just trying to keep our members safe

yeah don't mention it.....

way to go detailed with it though, nice! you even mention the little things, rust...e.t.c

I say STICKY OR BANNED!...lol....(jk on the banned part)

here you deserve this pic...

Originally posted by deevergote
        .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

good thread..lol except the TYRES parts

Comment

Originally posted by h2290cb7 View Post
            good thread..lol except the TYRES parts
            Thanks.
            Care to elaborate why the tyres?

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Great write up!!!!! Take folks.
              I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
              Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              My coupe!!!
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
              Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                Thanks.
                Care to elaborate why the tyres?
                here in the US we spell it tires... either way i'm sure everyone will know what you're saying. i personally dont care.

Comment

this is nice
                  thanks

Comment

nice write up

is ziptied front bumper hazardous?? lol

MEMBERS RIDE.

Bought from: DannyD , Night Wolf , CB7=91, lummieCB7
                    Sold to: LITuner, rezist09, Pacman91EX, 93AccordLXwhite, PhatAccord, TheNextEpisode

Comment

Nice write up
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
                        here in the US we spell it tires... either way i'm sure everyone will know what you're saying. i personally dont care.
                        You mean like also Bonnet, Boot etc I tried to word it as "USA" as possible

Originally posted by CB7_213 View Post
                        nice write up

is ziptied front bumper hazardous?? lol
                        Ziptied bumper is potentially hazardous if it came off and went under the car while on the freeway.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Nice write up, did mine already, good point about the notepad, very useful!
                          Colombian CB7

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...3A+1992+accord

Comment

You forgot one major major thing. Make sure your handbrake is working and adjusted properly. God forbid you lose your brakes and your handbrake cable snaps because it's the first time you've ever checked it.

Comment

Originally posted by be3p067 View Post
                              You forgot one major major thing. Make sure your handbrake is working and adjusted properly. God forbid you lose your brakes and your handbrake cable snaps because it's the first time you've ever checked it.
                              Honestly, I would hope EVERYONE uses their handbrake (for the US inclined - E-brake) everytime they step out of their car.
                              If an emergency situation is the first time you think you need to use your handbrake then I can't help you.

However I will add handbrake details this weekend for you guys

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Working...
                              X