Help make AWD CB7s become a reality!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help make AWD CB7s become a reality!

A group called "Automotive Koncepts and Designs" is busy making 4WD conversion kit a reality, and it should come in a CB7-specific variation. This effort is being funded by a recently posted Kickstarter, which needs your backing help!

If you are interested in a 4WD CB7 a reality, you will want to take a look at the following links, and consider pledging!

New Kickstarter campaign:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...acura-4wd-kits

Facebook page/post regarding:
    https://www.facebook.com/AutomotiveK...91382967730851

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Wow, what an awesome project. The kickstarter page is a great read. When I get some spare funds, I want to help them out.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I'll think about putting up some money. I would love to make my wagon project AWD, but not if it means a K-swap. This would take most of the fab work out of the equation though...

Just making sure I understand this right: if they reach the 180k, the kits will be put into 'mass' production, should I want one later on? Or is this a one-time group buy sort of thing?

Reposted on ClubRSX to get the word out there as well.
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-09-2016, 04:18 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Where did you hear about this anyway, Mike? Online fund raisers always make me wary.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I checked that out yesterday when you posted about it on Facebook, Mike. Normally I'd shrug such a thing off as unlikely, poorly planned out, or just plain unrealistic. However, they seem to be taking a pretty good approach to it!

I do wonder a bit how they intend to use a Dana rear with a ccw-spinning H/F/B/D engine, though. Also, what transmission would they intend to use?
          That rear subframe would probably be useful in simply doing a DSM conversion, though. It won't have Honda power, but their setup would likely allow a CB7 to be turned into a Galant VR-4. (Accord VR-4?)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            I checked that out yesterday when you posted about it on Facebook, Mike. Normally I'd shrug such a thing off as unlikely, poorly planned out, or just plain unrealistic. However, they seem to be taking a pretty good approach to it!

I do wonder a bit how they intend to use a Dana rear with a ccw-spinning H/F/B/D engine, though. Also, what transmission would they intend to use?
            That rear subframe would probably be useful in simply doing a DSM conversion, though. It won't have Honda power, but their setup would likely allow a CB7 to be turned into a Galant VR-4. (Accord VR-4?)
            As far as I understand it, pretty much the only option for a transmission is a CRV transmission, as it is adaptable to most Honda motors (H2B included) and it includes an overbuilt transfer case already attached. Probably need custom axles with CRV-based inner splines. They will be including a driveshaft, leading to the Dana rear, which will be mounted upside-down to reverse the drive output. Apparently the gearing of the Dana rear is < 2&#37; away from the perfect ratio match, so it should work very nicely. Some sort of rear spindles (I think an off-the-shelf domestic part) with custom control arms pairing them to the new differential-mounting subframe, and a custom shifter/cables (may or may not be necessary for an accord?) and you're set!

They said they should be starting production very soon, and posting pictures and updates in the next few weeks. It was posted by a member of the CRV facebook group that I am in - a few weeks ago they posted the initial reveal, and just recently began the kickstarter campaign.

I will need to ask about the availability after the campaign ends...
            Last edited by cp[mike]; 08-09-2016, 05:38 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Wow... flipping the diff... such a simple solution!

Comment

The CRV manual transmission is pretty unique in that it is effectively a H/F-series transmission with a bell housing to adapt it to the B-series engines. H/F-series gear sets are compatible (possible issue with 5th, I think), the ring gears fit on each others differentials and I believe the differential itself from an F/H-series transmission can even be used. It's been quite a while since I've looked, but a few people have torn them apart to measure components.

The big question would be whether or not we could directly swap an H/F-series differential into place and bolt up a standard H/F-series bell housing. I would be willing to bet that our linkage would be a direct swap onto the CRV transmission.

The final drive in the CRV transmission is 4.56:1. How is it that the page is suggesting that a 2.59:1 rear ratio is ideal? What is it that I'm not understanding?
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Potential for a torque vectoring rear diff??

It's a very cool project. It seems like the same recipe is applicable to all the older Honda chassis. They even have a spot for BB! Too bad I'm broke.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I'm not convinced.....some stock photos and factory diagrams anyone could pull of the internet, and a photo of a partially completed vehicle? Proceed with caution I'd say.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

They have a video of a turbo Civic hatch up on jacks with all four wheels turning.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

The main issue is having a rear end that can accommodate driven axles. As long as that can be accomplished, the rest of the conversion is fairly straightforward.

The only other issue is fabricating a driveshaft tunnel, without totally destroying the structural integrity of the unibody. One solution would be to simply keep the car high enough that there's no need for a driveshaft tunnel (though that would require longer axles, custom suspension with totally redesigned geometry, and a custom shift setup...)

I still say it'd be cheaper and easier to do the cosmetic alterations necessary to a Galant VR4 to make it look like a CB7.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          The main issue is having a rear end that can accommodate driven axles. As long as that can be accomplished, the rest of the conversion is fairly straightforward.

The only other issue is fabricating a driveshaft tunnel, without totally destroying the structural integrity of the unibody. One solution would be to simply keep the car high enough that there's no need for a driveshaft tunnel (though that would require longer axles, custom suspension with totally redesigned geometry, and a custom shift setup...)

I still say it'd be cheaper and easier to do the cosmetic alterations necessary to a Galant VR4 to make it look like a CB7.
                          Meh, remove the exhaust and heat shields and relocate them, and I think there would be enough room for a driveshaft. I think most of the work would be at the front of the tunnel to accommodate the transmission, if you were pointing it toward the rear. With the CR-V setup, no need for that. The driveshafts required wouldn't be that big and even with big power, you could just increase strength of the material to get quite a bit of power through it.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

The tunnel in my Talon isn't much bigger than the "tunnel" in a CB7. However it does have structural features in the chassis that the CB7 most definitely doesn't have which can be seen with the carpet partially removed. CB7 fuel tank is in the way too but that could be changed easily theoretically as anything can be.

I wonder if the CB7 chassis is up to snuff for AWD honestly. From owning, driving and experimenting with my Talon for about the last 6 months I will say the Talon's chassis is much much much more rigid.

This being said quite a few Civics have been made AWD utilizing CRV parts. I wonder how the chassis on those cars have fared.

I'm not saying an AWD CB7 is a bad idea, won't work or preform well cause it would be freakin' awesome. I'm just saying I don't think it's ever going to preform like a DSM or Subie. Which were designed from square one to be AWD.

AWD is so harsh when you go to push them. That's why so many people break shit on AWD cars. Something has to give at some point as the stress levels (and wear) increase. This is where I'd be interested in knowing exactly what chassis rigidity's role is in AWD's. Maybe it doesn't play as big of a part as I think it does. Again, I wonder what the AWD Civic's are like...

If I'm to be completely honest I expect doors and shit to not close like they once did if the car was abused for a length of time. It would not surprise me to find this on any higher horsepower AWD swapped Honda. Like the AWD swapped Civic's on youtube doing launches and such. I guess it's all in how it's engineered in the end though.

Mine has an LSD in the rear and I don't know how much this changes things as I've only ever owned this one. I assume that add's to the aggressive characteristics that I've witnessed I just don't know how much as I have nothing to compare it to.

Comment

come to think of it i seen somethin along the lines of this on a old super street mag of a bb6 with a crv awd conversion done to it. not farfetched at all
                              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Working...
                              X