Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rounded Head Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rounded Head Bolt

So I am removing the head from my 1992 accord. I busted the socket i was using and rounded the head beyond any hope of extraction. Now, i need to know the best way to at least cut the head of the bolt off so i can finish removing the old head. I should add that the head is already badly damaged so im not afraid of damaging it further. Should i drill through the side of the head into the bolt? Or does someone have a better idea? Thanks.
    Does anyone else have a monthly budget of 10mm sockets or is it just me?

Which bolt and where exactly is it located? Pictures do help as there are a lot of options depending on how much of the head is left, where it's located, etc..
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

It would help to know which bolt specifically, maybe even a picture. I have used a few different methods on bolt extraction but my favorite if possible is probably a vice-grip as tight as you can possible get it.

If you can sometimes it helps to heat the bolt head with a handheld torch and melt some crayon wax into the threads.

If you have to cut the head off you will still have to get the rest out and its easier if there is something left to grab.

Edit: Too slow, Jon covered most.

Comment

Great minds think alike.

Comment

They do make sockets that are designed to grip stripped bolt heads; check your local hardware or auto parts store.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            They do make sockets that are designed to grip stripped bolt heads; check your local hardware or auto parts store.
            I have one of these. It's called gator grip/ so far it's been 50/50 with it working.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Pound one of these bitches on there, its coming out. Make sure next time you use the right size socket
              https://www.harborfreight.com/9-pc-3...set-67894.html

that gator grip is some cheesy crap for bored housewives to order from the home shopping network, for their husbands who will a)never use them b)if they do, it breaks. plus itll be too large in diameter to fit (the other ones might even be a shade to large too.

if the head is garbage, sawzall it away and chisel out the last bits so you dont mar the blocks mating surface. there will be enough of a stud left to grip with vice grips or weld a nut on.

Comment

Not all methods or tools work for every broken bolts or screw, so you kind of stand back and look at what you're dealing with.

Left handed drill bits works well for 50% of the screws/bolts. Just make sure you have a good centerline on the bolt before drilling. Cutting the top of the screw/bolt flat and using a punch to get a center is a good start.

If you have a good amount still sticking out, welding a nut onto the broken bolt can work. Same with those bolt extractors. The ones Erik posted that grab onto the outside of the bolt work way better than the ones you try to drill a hole into the bolt with and try to screw it out (aka easy-outs... never had luck with them at all).

Hope the OP has had some luck...

Comment

Happened to me a few months back, I used a smaller socket 13mm 6pt. I hammered it on til it fully seated. And slowly turn the stud. Had 3 stripped bolts and all came out easy
                  NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                  DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Working...
                  X