Accord half radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accord half radiator

I'm picking weight off of the nose of the accord, and I'm wanting to get a half radiator for my h22 swap. I can't find any for an accord but someone told me that I have to buy one for a civic and make it fit? I'm also a little concerned if the half radiator for a civic would cool my h22, being that they're probably for cooling the d16 y7/8. Any suggestions?

JDM powered CB7

Accords do not have "half radiators". That term isn't really technically sound. The radiators on Civics are much smaller since the cars themselves are much smaller. Some Civics do have "full size radiators" though as well. The radiators will cool your engine but I believe to use those is to give up on A/C. Someone else might tell you better.

The real question here is why are you looking to shave weight? If you're trying to keep the car in a "comfortably usable" state you would be better off spending your money to make more power. Generally speaking you would have to drop 100lbs to even lose one-tenth of a second off your quarter mile time. By doing this modification I'd imagine you might lose about 4-7 lbs so it's not something you're going to notice.

If you want to shave weight and feel a difference I recommend a 7lb flywheel, or upgrading your valvetrain in the cylinder head. There are all sorts of performance parts that are physically lighter than the stock components. You can also look into lightweight racing wheels as well.
    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
    If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

The half radiator is just fine for cooling an H22.

I personally would just buy a mishimoto half radiator and call it good with a quality fan. You can re-use your radiator mounts if you have a grinder/welder.

Its not a direct fit, it takes some modification to get in there and look right. It'll never save you enough weight to matter.
      Originally posted by wed3k
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

If you want to go with a Half rad your really aren't going to end up saving much in weight as you will require a dual core. It does leave you lots of room for a set of stright pipe headers or a turbo though!

Please do not zip tie it to your chassis. It's not that hard to grind and move the OEM rad mounts.

Drill bit and a welder or buddy with a welder can do it in an afternoon.

Here is some more information on the mod; Civic Yonaka 1/2 Rad

Biggest thing I can say is to test fit it before you start doing any welding of the mounts.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 01-07-2014, 12:19 PM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Some have the luck others don't. But beware of the cooling issues that occur when dealing with half sized radiators.

Comment

I grabbed a tab off a civic, that way if I wanted to go back to full radiator the option was there.
            MadLab Racing
            Southern Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
              Some have the luck others don't. But beware of the cooling issues that occur when dealing with half sized radiators.
              Shouldn't be any if you buy a good quality dual core Al rad. I wouldn't go for a stock single core plastic one....
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-RAC...item337884943d

I actually found a triple core half size from these guys for a hundo.
                so other then custom fitment youll be fine..

and for the other CB i found an all aluminum replacement, but it has
                a lifetime warranty from these guys, that was a hundo also
                http://www.ebay.com/usr/radiatorclassic

edit: heres the triple core with a fan, for 100 bucks
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ROW-CORE-A...07e1ad&vxp=mtr

and by the way theyre all the same, unless you actually pay top dollar for a silla or koyo..but even then its negligible.
                Last edited by illinois_erik; 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Oh no I don't plan to notice any difference after getting a half radiator, I've already gotten rid of the AC, ps which isn't so bad, a primered cf hood, relocated the battery to the back, kinda just picking a few things off of the nose. Really I want the smaller radiator to clear up a little more room in the bay.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Originally posted by Flushcb View Post
                    Oh no I don't plan to notice any difference after getting a half radiator, I've already gotten rid of the AC, ps which isn't so bad, a primered cf hood, relocated the battery to the back, kinda just picking a few things off of the nose. Really I want the smaller radiator to clear up a little more room in the bay.
                    I went half rad for the header and traction bar visibility lol and I plan on doing a proper ram air since the "grill" has been opened up. good luck! drop some pics too

Comment

Will do!

JDM powered CB7

Comment

You will not have any cooling issues with a good quality 3 row radiator and fan.

When you order your performance rad be sure to get one for a B-series and not the D-series. The inlet and outlet on a D-series rad are smaller.

Comment

half radiators are for saving space not weight, I guess

Comment

Originally posted by tishock View Post
                            You will not have any cooling issues with a good quality 3 row radiator and fan.

When you order your performance rad be sure to get one for a B-series and not the D-series. The inlet and outlet on a D-series rad are smaller.
                            What type civic should I get it for? Or does it even matter as long as it's for a b series?

JDM powered CB7

Comment

hmm i didnt even take into to consideration different outlet diameters..when i got mine i just looked for "CIVIC/DEL SOL/INTEGRA DC EG"
                              I just went and measured the outlets. OD is 32mm..its too cold to measure the car side and I dont know offhand where the neck for the h22 is
                              i hope its not too small =\

edit:
                              ok the question was burning, i went out there the F water neck is also an OD of 32mm...whew.
                              Last edited by illinois_erik; 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X