Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Update on 1991 Honda skipping gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on 1991 Honda skipping gears

Back in December I started asking questions about the problem with my 1991 Honda Accord not having 1st & 4th gears. With the help from "cloudasc" and the pictures in "Preventative Maintenance" I was able to learn where the transmission computer was and how to remove it, how to test for failure codes, and to tell which parts to order for my transmission board. After ordering the resistors and capacitors I was finally able to get ahold of my retired TV repairman who replaced all 5 capacitors today. Two of the capacitors were definitely leaking which was better seen after removing them from the board. The two resistors checked out fine.

Took a 20 mile drive this evening and everything seems to be working great, just like it's supposed to.

Question: Did I read someplace that after the repair on the board it may take a week or two of driving before it will be affirmed that the repair has been completely effective?

This Forum and its members have been absolutely invaluable in helping me with this very frustrating problem and probably saved me several hundred dollars. I was told by a member in the Honda Tech forum that this was the place to be for information on fixing Hondas and how right he was.

Thanks again fellows.

I'm glad you got your TCU repaired! I suggest having a TCU repaired over buying a replacement. I also had this issue when I first got the car, except I had no second or fourth.

You definitely did stumble upon the right site for the fourth generation accords. This place has been around since 2003, and almost everything has been covered in great detail. A TCU, is a good item to keep an extra of. I've got to get me a spare in case this issue arises again.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

A spare would be a good thing to have on hand but might be a little expensive if never needed. The prices I saw on eBay ran all the way from $90-$130 and usually wanted an old one returned in place. Maybe one out of a wreck might be an option if a person had any way to check it other than going through all the work installing it and then removing it again. Hope I don't have to go through this anytime in the near future, but maybe the second time around wouldn't be as tough as my first time. Thankfully this Honda wasn't our only vehicle so I wasn't under any time pressure to get it running again.

Comment

I would snag one from a junkyard.. it'll be a whole lot cheaper, and you can replace the resistors/capacitors like you did your current one for under the going price on eBay.

My accord is our only vehicle and it's hard to get any down time with it to do anything to it.. and when it's down.. it's a pain trying to get it back on the road in time so that we don't have downtime! haha
        92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
        2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
        2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Glad to hear that your issue was resolved.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, the most/best of it can found in the STICKIES under each section. I'd suggest reviewing them if you haven't already and afterwards you will have an even better appreciation for the great engineering that the CB chassis is.
          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Working...
          X