Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Seat Belt Swap

Has anyone found a guide to swapping the power seat belts from a 91 to a 92

by power seat belts do you mean Automatic seat belts?

my 91 cb7 has automatic seatbelts.
    my donor car has manual seatbelts.
    i think you have to replace the two front seats?
    because the seat belt assembly is part of the seat itself.

Comment

The seats have the mechanisms attached but those can be swapped over. Your real problems come with the channel that runs up the pillar and the wiring harnesses. This is not something that you should attempt. Seatbelts are life-saving devices and not something that should go under such extensive modification. If you really want them that badly then just buy a '90-'91 car.

Food for thought, though...

How many new cars do you see these days with automatic seat belts? For that matter, how many new cars were there in 1995 that had them? They were crap. They fail often and they don't operate how they should.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Had to do some digging but I found it
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...&highlight=INT
        Freedom Is Not Free
        U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

From the way he made it seem he is wanting to go to the automatic seat belts from the manual ones.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Extensive, unreliable and extremely dangerous.

If you live in a high populated area like Seattle, doing the conversion will still take quite some time. If it works at all.

I like the nostalgia of them in my 90 ex coupe as well but, I don't live near a place like Seattle.

I've taken many 2 1/2 hour trips there and it doesn't justify all the tinkering and troubleshooting I've done to my power belt system.

I've replaced numberous belt computers from the JY.

And finally narrowed it down to a bad motor on my drivers side.

With winter coming I decided to scrap the idea all together and disabled my auto belts.

I refuse to buy oem because they either do not carry it cost near to half if not more then what I purchased my car for.

That being said I spent $500 for my car.

Also, Haynes manuals do not offer information on the automatic belt system.

It is a black sheep in the cb community.

That is why most power belt owners did the full conversion to manual for the sake of being sane.

Comment

I have 2 cb's a 91 and a 92 both lx models. my 91 i bought purely because it had 130,xxx miles on it it was clean, a 5 speed and complete down to the hub caps. my 92 has seen better days someone did a full custom interior which if it wasn't all beat up and destroyed probably looked awesome and has a cruel 220,xxx hard abusive miles on the power train which is an automatic. Long story short i have to keep my 92 on the road for a couple reasons a few being i have switch cars and insurance more than 10 times the last 1.5 years and 2 my 92 cb has absolutely no rust top bottom back front anywhere and the 91 is a rot box in the back half. i asked about the belts not for safety reasons but because I'm stripping the 91 down to the frame and want the whole interior in my 92 and just wanted to know how extensive the seatbelt swap would be

Comment

And @ benjerman112 thats going from auto belts to manual i need from manual to auto

Comment

My Auto Belts are okay being as the motor's do work (even though the pass side is slow to start when you open the door) but what makes me nervious is how lose the upper belt fits I feel it's a bit lose and that concerns me, I have gone to the junk yard numerous times to find a better one but no luck, I was hoping to have a decent belt pulling my entire interior from a 91 SE with 147k but I was wrong I feel no tension when I have to slam on my brakes and to be honest I really don't want the steering wheel to kill me. I too would love a swap for the 92/93 belts I agree do not go with the 90/91 they do have alot of problems over time it's pure luck my buddy's 90 coupe still works w over 390k but his drivers side is frade and honda said they would not replace the auto seatbelt. if there is a way to Safely rebuild the front seat mounted retractors I would be up for that.
                  Tom

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
                  Do it once, do it right.
                  Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
                  Missing My
                  White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
                  Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Originally posted by BoostThat7 View Post
                    And @ benjerman112 thats going from auto belts to manual i need from manual to auto
                    Oh... I feel like that would be more work than what its worth. IDK
                    sell the 92 get a 9091.
                    Freedom Is Not Free
                    U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

Working...
                    X