No announcement yet.

No gas April 15th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggesting that there's some conspiracy among every fuel retailer to keep prices high to satisfy their own greed is idiotic.

Any smart businessman will know that if he undercuts his competition by 2-3 cents, people will flock to his station. I've known people to EASILY burn 20 cents worth of gas just to save one cent per gallon on their 10 gallon fillup. People will go to the lowest price, so the stations will lower their price as much as possible, as long as they can still make a profit, to ensure a steady flow of business.

Now, places like WalMart/Sam'sClub, Wawa (in my area), and any other company that has a legitimate flow of non-fuel business AND immense buying power has the ability to undercut almost every company that offers fuel as their primary product. They can afford to make little to no profit on fuel, or even take a loss to undercut the competition. They can use fuel as a loss leader, bringing people into the business to get fuel, and making their profit off of the customers' other purchases. (every morning, I go to Wawa for gas and breakfast. I spend $30 on the cheapest gas in town, and then I spend $7 on breakfast that I could make myself for about $1.50.)

Comment

Thats the problem with my neighborhood, we have no "small" guys around here to support. We only have Shell which were BP stations, Speedway or UDF that gets fuel from Mobil. United Dairy Farmer i guess would be the smallest of the three mentioned BUT they have stations all over SW Ohio. Im also not crazy enough to drive way out of my way to save 30 cents off of my ~10 gallons.

If i want to save money on gas, i use an app on my smart phone called gasbuddy. It lists all the stations around you and lets you see what thier prices are currently; joe schmoes like you and me can update the prices in the app if when we get thier and find it is different.
      Last edited by Leung; 03-27-2012, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
        There is no magical evil oil company that controls the world.
        Of course not. There are several of them.

But seriously... this thing's retarded, for all the reasons already pointed out. You want to do something meaningful? Use less fossil fuels. Not just on April 15, but every day. All of us here are driving Hondas, not Escalades, so at least that's a start.

Comment

I don't understand why make it such a big deal, who gives reallya fuck, if it don't work, oh well
          I always have gas on my cars, so ill make sure I have more than a 1/4 tank on the 14th and if I need gas then I guess I can wait a day, if it goes down at all even for a day it would mean a lot
          Don't pump on the 15th pussies
          Originally posted by deevergote
          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

I buy gas every day. My job requires it.

Comment

I don't know why it is so hard to understand
              You dont get out much, do you?

Being a truly intelligent person who is up to point on everything and is wise to the ways of the world....is difficult. Im not THAT wise to the ways and I still laugh when I see these things.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
              Originally posted by Jarrett
              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

On the 15th of April I'm going to fill up both my cars, the lawn tractor and snow blower, chainsaw and weed wacker, along with the three 20L gas jugs I have. Why, becuase I'm tired of these half assed social media events that wannabe hippies keep drumming up that make no difference in the end. Again, 1 day is F#@k all to any of the oil & gas companies, large or small.
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

One word that the Canadian government loves. Taxes.

Nonsense.

This won't affect anyone. Not even the little guys. Why? Everyone will buy gas eventually. Business will be slow for one day, but they make it back later. It is no different than being slow on Christmas or Thanksgiving.

Second, it is all about the MARKET, not the COMPANIES. I don't know why it is so hard to understand, but the market is bigger than the companies.

There is no magical evil oil company that controls the world. There is a limited supply, and an unlimited demand, and thus prices go up. Add in instability related to the oil market with demand or supply, and prices fluctuate wildly.

Small minded people like to think that there is some puppet master behind a curtain manipulating the world, because they can't deal with the fact that they don't matter, and in the grand scheme of the Cosmos are merely specs of sand in control of nothing.

But, I will make an interesting observation about the ruling party in the US, and then comparatively mention where prices are now (and will be in coming months) compared to where they were in 2008 when the other party was being blamed for everything. I use this as an example to show that the issue is bigger than any elected body or official...
                  /end thread.

Scott. Respect.
                  Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                  Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                  made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

i like the idea of no car day....they do it once a year here in colombia (bogota) not only is it good for the environment but im sure the oil companies would be affected(somewhat)
                    http://msbayles.wordpress.com/2012/0...out-cars-2012/

here are some photos
                    http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow...ppix013012/36/
                    http://www.google.com.co/imgres?hl=e...1t:429,r:6,s:0

Comment

That's bs as stated above.

If everyone starts to boycott one brand of gas then they would have to lower thier prices and thus having the others follow suit but it only works if everyone does it.

Comment

Originally posted by ATS666 View Post
                        That's bs as stated above.

If everyone starts to boycott one brand of gas then they would have to lower thier prices and thus having the others follow suit but it only works if everyone does it.
                        That actually would work. One company loses business, lower's prices to attract more customers, other companies lower prices to stay competitive, repeat until crust is golden and pie is fully cooked.

So when are we starting this?!
                        Last edited by cuate01221; 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

More customer's what?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            More customer's what?
                            Haha I was never good in English class, to busy staring at the hot chick with huge tits next to me.

Comment

It should be a rule... teachers should be no more than 15 years older than their students, and they must have an attractive figure. Any dudes must curse in their lessons... a lot.

Kids will learn better if they're listening to big-titted women and dudes that cuss!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                                It should be a rule... teachers should be no more than 15 years older than their students, and they must have an attractive figure. Any dudes must curse in their lessons... a lot.

Kids will learn better if they're listening to big-titted women and dudes that cuss!
                                Problem with the big-titted teacher is I wouldn't be listening.........

Comment

Working...
                                X