Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is Everyone Handling Our Current State of Affairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
    It's a tricky situation. It makes no sense to test if you don't have symptoms, because not having it now doesn't mean you can't get it tomorrow, so it'd be a wasted test that could have been used for someone who really needs it while the tests are still limited. And if you do have it, there's currently nothing doctors can do for you anyway; they're still working on a cure. So it's best to just stay away from other people. Which sucks, because since I rarely visit my parents (no bad feelings there, I'm just not a sit-around-and-talk kind of person), I've been seeing them a lot lately... because they're getting a bit up there in age and you never know.
    I don’t disagree, just stating that they can’t even test enough people in the first place so how could they speak from a position of transparency. I have employees that have fevers, coughs and generally feel like shit and their doctor said to stay home and self monitor. I get that’s the ideal prognosis, but how could they possibly know how bad the situation is or isn’t when that’s how we are prepared to handle this?

And, with that in mind-the media is acting like the world is about to end. I mean it might, who knows.

My concern is the presentation is extreme and nobody actually has a clue what’s going on

Be safe man. I’ve been waiting for your wagon to come together for years
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
      And, with that in mind-the media is acting like the world is about to end. I mean it might, who knows.
      It's not all bad. My parents are in that Fox News crowd, so that was on while I was over there. Fox seems to be pushing the "we'll get through this" angle pretty hard. 'The American people are resilient' and all that. It's corny as hell imo, but whatever puts people in a better state of mind. Your mental state does have an impact on your physical health, oddly enough.

... and I'm hoping the shops don't shut down in the meantime. My block and head are at two different places right now in line for work, and I haven't heard from either of them yet.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Ohio just issued a "stay at home" order starting tomorrow at midnight. I've already been working from home for about a month for other reasons. To enhance the experience, I just discovered that my reverse osmosis water filter system has been leaking for while, and let go big time Friday night. Hardwood floor (and possibly subfloor) in an area of the kitchen is likely toast as well as part of the cabinetry. Water leaked down into the basement trashing ceiling tiles and soaking the (25 yr old) carpet. Quick solution because of stuff stored in the basement was to start cutting the wet carpet and padding to expedite removal. Not sure I'm going to be able to get flooring/contractor folks in here for repairs any time soon.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I've been wondering how those stay-at-home orders work. Is it so strict that they make cops patrol the streets and fine anyone who's out, or is it more of just a strong encouragement? How does it affect people who still have to go to work? Or buy groceries? As much as I eat out normally, I'm still trying to support those businesses and their employees by getting take-out, because I know they're hurting.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

NJ has such an order in place. The governor threw a fit this afternoon because people aren’t abiding by it.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
              I've been wondering how those stay-at-home orders work. Is it so strict that they make cops patrol the streets and fine anyone who's out, or is it more of just a strong encouragement? How does it affect people who still have to go to work? Or buy groceries? As much as I eat out normally, I'm still trying to support those businesses and their employees by getting take-out, because I know they're hurting.
              It has been interesting transitioning to a work-from-home work flow. My company has been resistant to letting us do so previously due to confidentiality concerns. But 2 people in the engineering group test positive for Covid-19, after that they allowed employees without company laptops or tablets to take entire desktop workstations home. It is mostly just conference calls with people's children in the back ground so far, but it is difficult to collaborate remotely.

In the larger sense, I am concerned about the aftermath of all of this. A lot of the jobs that vanished will likely be slow to return, some may not return at all. But people's lives continue despite those losses. It seems a little bleak at the moment, but it seems like a take each day as it comes scenario.
              http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post

In the larger sense, I am concerned about the aftermath of all of this. A lot of the jobs that vanished will likely be slow to return, some may not return at all. But people's lives continue despite those losses. It seems a little bleak at the moment, but it seems like a take each day as it comes scenario.
                I am right there with you, I am more concerned with the aftermath of all this. It will be interesting to see how the WORLD overcomes this.

As for me I am thankfully in the military, so my job security isn't threatened and as long as the government stays open, Ill get a paycheck. But my wife is in the medical field and has already been in contact with someone who was in contact with a positive case of COVID-19. She is in her second to last semester of Nursing School and we hope that they don't put her education on hold. She is hoping to be able to do her preceptorship and help with this pandemic. We are still waiting to hear from her school if they will allow the students to do so.

AF_1132,
                I can feel your pain to a certain degree, when my wife was pregnant with our daughter, the ZIKA virus was exploding and we were always concerned on it affecting my daughter. Thankfully we were blessed and she never got the virus.

But your wife and child are in our prayers, as well as all of you. Stay safe out there and always wash your hands!
                Last edited by Grumpys93; 03-23-2020, 08:27 AM.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

af_1132, praying for you as well.

There is a lot of support on here. You are a great bunch of people.

Comment

"on an up-note"...

I will say....... dam, I have some more time with my cb7 that's for sure! The daily driver is getting 0KM and I can start on the cb7 as soon as work is done. Quite nice.

Ironically I can't spend any money, which I have the urge to do now....

Comment

It's been day to day for me and my fiance (got engaged yesterday ) she works at the local Whole Foods which is just one exit up from where we reside. Meanwhile I commute 25 miles north to NH for work as a flat rate tech.

Just got word this afternoon that all non-essential jobs in Massachusetts are due to close by noon but I'm not affected so I'm still commuting.

I worry more about my fiance because she's currently 2 months pregnant and with her job she's always interacting with the public..so I'm constantly worrying about that now.
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                        Don't assume it's hoarding. Said individual could have been buying extra for elderly nieghbors who couldn't make it to the store, could be buying for a church or community food pantry, etc... You never know. Try to see the good in things, although, sometimes the bad is really what it is.

Nevertheless, I digress.

As for me, I'm wrapping up the sequel to my book and getting ready to drop the digital version of Six Gears for the people. My builds have been put on hold because of the current state of affairs, and when things get back rolling, I'll be moving my business into a new facility.

Besides that, I'm keeping an eye on a few properties in L.A., so when the time comes, I can get a single family home in a neighborhood I'm fond of. They don't come cheap.

And last but certainly not least, continuing to pray for us all - the hidden racist, sexist, and other biased-ist folks included, whoever they are.

Oh, and debating if I should go buy my son and my nephew new dirtbikes to add to the collection. We'll see.
                        Yeah, I'll go ahead and use my human factors background to assume it's hoarding. While it is possible that he was buying for elderly neighbors, it was statistically much more likely he was hoarding.

But I digress...
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Been working from home for about a week now.

My entire industry has pretty much shut down or will be in the next couple of weeks. At our built in cash burn rates, nobody survives beyond a couple of months in that condition.

They have completely shuttered the strip in Las Vegas, which is something even 9/11 couldn't do. It is surreal to see it completely empty. Of course there were the subsequent 450,000 layoffs that occurred immediately as a result. Some are getting paid, some aren't.

So far, I have a job, but I have no idea for how much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                            Been working from home for about a week now.

My entire industry has pretty much shut down or will be in the next couple of weeks. At our built in cash burn rates, nobody survives beyond a couple of months in that condition.

They have completely shuttered the strip in Las Vegas, which is something even 9/11 couldn't do. It is surreal to see it completely empty. Of course there were the subsequent 450,000 layoffs that occurred immediately as a result. Some are getting paid, some aren't.

So far, I have a job, but I have no idea for how much longer.
                            Are you still a pilot?
                            14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                              It's been day to day for me and my fiance (got engaged yesterday ) she works at the local Whole Foods which is just one exit up from where we reside. Meanwhile I commute 25 miles north to NH for work as a flat rate tech.

Just got word this afternoon that all non-essential jobs in Massachusetts are due to close by noon but I'm not affected so I'm still commuting.

I worry more about my fiance because she's currently 2 months pregnant and with her job she's always interacting with the public..so I'm constantly worrying about that now.
                              Congrats on your engagement despite the situation.
                              http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
                                Are you still a pilot?
                                Yes, but I work full time in the safety department, so that is a better use of my skill set, but I am still fully qualified and current on the airplane.

Comment

Working...
                                X