Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22 swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 swap questions

If this isn't the right forum for this post I apologize. Having a hard time figuring out where to post this.

I am in the process of gathering parts for my H22 swap in my 93 LX. I have read the Swap FAQ and have a couple questions and things I need clarified. As this is my daily driver I need to get this swap done in one day and would like to be 100% certain I have everything right and don't run into any snags. I'm using an OBD-1 H22 with a P13.

1. Is it possible to use a USDM H22 or H23 distributor instead of rewiring the JDM distributor for the external coil?

2. I would also prefer to use an oem exhaust manifold and not an after market header.

-Is the JDM exhaust manifold that comes on the engine the same as a USDM 93-96 Prelude?

-If so can I assume I can use a USDM 93-96 Prelude A-Pipe with it and have it bolt up to my cat/exhaust?

This is the right place. At least until you've reached 30 posts.

1) Yes, you can use the USDM H22 distributor if you want to avoid extra wiring hassle to use the JDM internal coil distributor. I can't recall offhand if the H23 uses the same distributor as the H22... but if it does, then yes, you can use that just as well.

2) The OBD1 (92-95) H22A exhaust manifold should fit just fine with your stock exhaust. It's only the 5th generation H22A that has a stock manifold that is too short. The aftermarket header recommendation is primarily because the old OEM stuff is often rusty, and the flex pipe may be crap. The aftermarket performance header is often cheaper than an OEM replacement.

- If it is not the same, it is damn close. I have a JDM H22A in my 92 LX, and I'm using the stock manifold.

- Yes. If all is installed correctly, the stock exhaust should reach and bolt up.

Comment

Originally posted by gooseisloose View Post
      1. Is it possible to use a USDM H22 or H23 distributor instead of rewiring the JDM distributor for the external coil?

Absolutely! This is the easiest method, by far.

Answer in yellow. And yes, the H23A1 and H22A1 distributors are the exact same.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        1) Yes, you can use the USDM H22 distributor if you want to avoid extra wiring hassle to use the JDM internal coil distributor. I can't recall offhand if the H23 uses the same distributor as the H22... but if it does, then yes, you can use that just as well.

2) The OBD1 (92-95) H22A exhaust manifold should fit just fine with your stock exhaust. It's only the 5th generation H22A that has a stock manifold that is too short. The aftermarket header recommendation is primarily because the old OEM stuff is often rusty, and the flex pipe may be crap. The aftermarket performance header is often cheaper than an OEM replacement.

- If it is not the same, it is damn close. I have a JDM H22A in my 92 LX, and I'm using the stock manifold.

- Yes. If all is installed correctly, the stock exhaust should reach and bolt up.

Good to hear about the distributor.

One more question about the exhaust. Do you know if the JDM manifold (the upper part that bolts to the head) is the same as the US one? It would be nice to be able to just buy a US A-Pipe(the lower part) and not have to look for a manifold too.

I know going aftermarket is probably an easier option but and this may sound stupid I want a "stock" H22 Accord. I'm not looking to make huge power or track this car just a little bump in power. Want to keep the car as close to stock as possible when it comes to the exhaust noise.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          Answer in yellow. And yes, the H23A1 and H22A1 distributors are the exact same.
          Thanks. This is good to know.

Comment

Buying an aftermarket header wouldn't really take away from the "stock" nature of the H22A. The generic header design found on eBay and similar sites is essentially the same design as the factory manifold. The only difference is that it's made of stainless, so it's a little prettier. If stock appearance is what you're going for, then of course this takes away from that. If stock performance is what you want, an aftermarket header is completely fine.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Anybody know what gauge the alternator to fuse box wire is? I bought another harness to use and the alternator wire is cut.

Comment

I believe it is 10 gauge
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Here is a good chart to go buy....
                  http://alternatorparts.com/wire-size-chart.html

I always try to use the finer strand wire (stereo/speaker) when possible!
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.

So pumped right now. I've been reading a lot of build threads and watching H22 Accord videos on youtube, I cannot wait to get this engine in. After ordering odds and ends for the past month or so I finally ordered my engine today.

Here's my list so far.

Engine-on it's way

All new oem gaskets, seals, hoses, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, belts etc ordered, probably be here by end of week

KSTuned tensioner-have

External coil H22 distributor-have

Vtec subharness-have

High Pressure steering hose-have aftermarket (I've been to junkyards every weekend for a month, looking on ebay, craigslist etc and I cannot find an OEM line anywhere. I really would prefer one so if anybody has one or sees one for sale please let me know.)

Ebay no name header-have Only temporary until I get the flange on the downpipe fixed

Rear mount because they aren't fun with engine in car-have

Exedy clutch and ACT lightened flywheel-have

New parts store axles-have

I'm probably going to replace the radiator when I do the swap. Any recommendations on a radiator or anything critique on my list so far?

Comment

Iab's? Since you have an lx your chassis is not wired currently.
                      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

The IAB wiring is with the subharness I got.

Comment

Can someone explain the difference between power steering feed hoses from an H23 and a H22 Prelude?

Looking at parts catalog I see the H22 line is 53713-SS0-A51 and the H23 hose is 53713-SS0-A01. The pumps have the same part number so I assume it's the bend of the line but is it at the pump or the rack?

I found a couple lines on Ebay which are from H23 Preludes but according to seller will fit H22s. I know this has probably been discussed to death but I can't find any info about the difference of the two lines and I can't find a line that is from a Prelude VTEC.

Will any of these work for my swap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-1992-199...e64285&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-96-Honda-...03302b&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1996-Ho...bd1d25&vxp=mtr

Comment

If you didn't tell me there was a part number difference, I would have told you they were the exact same thing. As you said, they both use the same pump and are compatible with each other. Many people on this site have been using either one for years.

Comment

I can't imagine where the difference would be but I guess it's real small if either works for people. Thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
                              X