No announcement yet.

Anatomy of an aftermarket projector headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Informative stuff man, don't know how I missed this the first time around.
    Product reviews like this are a great asset to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by vinbon63 View Post
      Agreed, definately no comparison with factory HID set-ups, but I was asking more particularly about your set of these headlights. Did you find any inequalities in cutoff and/or light output when comparing your driver side and passenger side lights?
      They appeared to put out roughly identical output, same mediocre cut off, seemed to be a cut off but still had some light beyond it. After I blackhoused mine I accidentally got some paint where the light was refracting causing some slightly decreased output.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
        Informative stuff man, don't know how I missed this the first time around.
        Product reviews like this are a great asset to the forum.
        Thanks! I'm hoping to get the project underway soon. I've got so many projects going lately.

Comment

OK so a quick question for you sir...

Is the lens on this aftermarket projector glass or plastic?

Comment

Glass

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
              Glass
              Nice

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
                Glass
                What's the width of it?

1999 BMW M3
                2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

the projector lens? I believe it's around 2 inches. I'd have to double check.

Comment

I still have the "ebay" sucky projectors catching dust at home and the output really sucked. But with the factory housed aftermarket projectors look pretty sweet. I just havent seen the cutoff of these projectors. Does anyone have any pics?

And yes, the TSX projectors are FTW, but Im planning to buy a TSX soon anyway so no need to retro lol
                    My CB For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                      What's the width of it?
                      If I remember correctly, when I measured they were 2.5"

Hey mj213, another question if you don't mind, the inner side of the "shroud" part of your headlights...is yours black or the reflective chrome? Reason Im asking is because mine looks like its chrome, but has blackened a little bit, maybe due to heat or something, Im not sure. But anyways, maybe you know better than me, but I'm thinking that part would most likely be best if fully chromed so that it will reflect most light to the lense right? Anyways, let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks!

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

Originally posted by vinbon63 View Post
                        If I remember correctly, when I measured they were 2.5"
                        Thank you

1999 BMW M3
                        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a retrofit would be very easy with these, even keeping them sealed.

Got a pair yesterday, and while in the process of blackhousing them, took apart my Mazda 3" projectors (huge lol) and just tried to insert the cutoff sheild assembly and lens. This in itself would have worked, there was minimal gaps in the back and could easily been sealed. Also, the cutoff was still quite good even with the longer spacing from the bulb.

I will be using TSX projectors and be doing the same with those. They should go all the way back to the reflector bowl, with nearly no modification, AND use the same shroud from these headlamps. I nearly got those huge @$$ 3" ones to do it lol.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                          Traded with: Cb7xChun
                          Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                          Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                          My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

well lests see some pics!

Comment

Originally posted by zack_odom View Post
                              well lests see some pics!
                              Lol only pics I have are of those lights as they come, blackhoused. In my MR thread lol. I'll post pics of the retro when I get alod of some suitable projectors.

Which I will definitely be getting. just got back inside from attempting to aim these. They have a decent cutoff, but the problem is when they are aimed correctly, the output isnt really that great. You adjust them to get enough light, and the cutoff is like 6 feet in the air lol. Still, no flashes from on coming cars so....

Still, a decent option and much better output than stock, even aimed correctly...with the exception of a dark spot in the center of the beam pattern...dunno if it's just my set though. And DEFINITELY better than the other ebay ones lol.

Absolutely something worth getting if planning to retro.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                              Traded with: Cb7xChun
                              Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                              Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                              My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

Originally posted by darkfusion42 View Post
                                Lol only pics I have are of those lights as they come, blackhoused. In my MR thread lol. I'll post pics of the retro when I get alod of some suitable projectors.

Which I will definitely be getting. just got back inside from attempting to aim these. They have a decent cutoff, but the problem is when they are aimed correctly, the output isnt really that great. You adjust them to get enough light, and the cutoff is like 6 feet in the air lol. Still, no flashes from on coming cars so....

Still, a decent option and much better output than stock, even aimed correctly...with the exception of a dark spot in the center of the beam pattern...dunno if it's just my set though. And DEFINITELY better than the other ebay ones lol.

Absolutely something worth getting if planning to retro.

i noticed these actually have a cutoff ... where is yours?

our cars are getting kinda old and these give new brackets

time for what alot of people are wanting to see the cutt off pics and this is the distance i was from the shed

i likey alot!!! looks clean IMO

what it looks like for the cockpit

that cutoff is nice right outta the box

looking mean
                                the glare isnt bad either.
                                Members Ride sold...
                                I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

Working...
                                X