Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

which engine is better for boost???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is does Mahle make a bore size for the h23....The only one I recall is the h22a.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

bore size is the same, (identical blocks) (87mm)

the h23 has a 95mm stroke while the h22 has a 90.7, thats where the displacement diff comes from.

the problem though (maybe this is what you are reffering to) is that the compression height of the two pistons in stock form is ~.02" different, the h23 being shorter. That being the case when you buy an h22 piston and put it in with h23 rods and crank you actually have a higher than advertised compression ratio (the piston also sticks out of the block ~.02"). you could always make up the difference with a thicker head gasket though its just something to think about.
      www.roskoracing.com << Euro-R manifolds/adapters and H22 parts

>>check out my H23vtec build thread...
      http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2030543

Comment

h23's can handle the same amount of boost, if not more than an f22.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Either can hold more boost than another...it's all about tuning.

*Needs*
          -New shocks
          -Struts
          -Drop
          -Cleaning
          -New Tires/Wheels
          -New Window Tint
          -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
            h23's can handle the same amount of boost, if not more than an f22.
            Yeah, but when the time comes to drop in some forged pistons, the F22 (any of them) offers many more choices. The H23 has the same FRM sleeves as the H22, making aftermarket piston choices quite limited.

However, if you're going to go with forged internals, sleeving ANY block would be wise anyway... When it comes to that, it's a moot point. Fully built, they're probably about the same.

From what Bisi says, the F22A head flows better than either of those, though... food for thought.

Comment

man why go turbo anyhows its just more to break u kno be a real man wit sum nos sneakypete style that way u dont blow da motor wen u drivin

Comment

man why do you even exist?

Comment

ok i see that boostin a h23 and a f22b depends on the person...like choosing apple or pc...but i concluded which one is cheaper and low miles is the one to get...but also the f22a motor is cheaper to implement with better flow thru the head...

ok next question is...

about how much does a turbo setup (without doing any engine internals) ususally cost for a F22A, F22B, H23....???

(not counting the cost of the motor...)
                  A wise man sees failure as progress...

Comment

F22A would be the cheapest, since you can use a DSM manifold. I don't believe you can use that with the H23 or F22B DOHC. All 3 can use the P06 ECU for tuning. All 3 should have a larger turbo (14b should be the smallest you go, but that's still quite small... t3/t4 is the best). Everything else is the same. Really, the manifold is the only engine-dependant part.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoungblood87
                      ok i see that boostin a h23 and a f22b depends on the person...like choosing apple or pc...but i concluded which one is cheaper and low miles is the one to get...but also the f22a motor is cheaper to implement with better flow thru the head...

ok next question is...

about how much does a turbo setup (without doing any engine internals) ususally cost for a F22A, F22B, H23....???

(not counting the cost of the motor...)
                      $1500+ and also the h23 and f22b are the same thing.
                      Project EP hatch on the way

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        F22A would be the cheapest, since you can use a DSM manifold. I don't believe you can use that with the H23 or F22B DOHC. All 3 can use the P06 ECU for tuning. All 3 should have a larger turbo (14b should be the smallest you go, but that's still quite small... t3/t4 is the best). Everything else is the same. Really, the manifold is the only engine-dependant part.
                        are you serious deev?

f22a, dohc f22b, h23 are all the same head flanges.

Comment

Originally posted by GREENCB3
                          $1500+ and also the h23 and f22b are the same thing.
                          They differ in the sleeves.

And Jose, the ports are all the same? I thought they were uneven on the H23 and F22B DOHC...

If they line up with the DSM manifold, then that makes all 3 motors about the same in terms of the cost to boost... as long as the cost of the motor isn't a factor. I'd still choose the F22A to boost over anything else. It's the cheapest to get, and the cheapest to replace!

Comment

As far as using the Mahle Gold pistons, I know they are much more compatible for boost with the FRM sleeves and if you weren't planning on re-sleeving the h23 (if you decide on the h23 that is) they I would personally go that route for cost reasons, but I'm wondering how reliable the Mahle's are? Is there any documented proof that they are indeed a good product for boost with the h22 or h23? I know that Porsche uses Mahle's, but does that really mean that they are good for our Honda's?

SOLD!!
                            Boosted H22
                            375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

honda has nothing to do with it.

its the material the sleeves are made out of.

I've known of h22's and h23s with these pistons going well over 600whp.

and yes, h23, f22b dohc, and f22a have the exact same head flanges. same thing with the intake flange.

Comment

If installed correctly, tuned correctly, and not abused, the Mahle pistons should outlast the stock sleeves. Mahle is a VERY good company. Uncontrolled detonation will destroy any piston, no matter how good.

As someone mentioned before, the alloy Mahle uses for the pistons is supposedly heavier than most forged pistons. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, that extra weight could put additional strain on the rods. I wouldn't cheap out on the rods if I were to use those pistons. The cost of the internals alone (not including crank balancing) would probably approach $1500 after all is said and done...

Comment

Working...
                                X