Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
    Very nice progress you got going Will. I wasn't sure about the two tone interior, but now I really like it. I'll be interested in seeing this DCC going in.
    Thanks Nick. I'm close to having all the rest of the bits and pieces I need to totally finish the two tone.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

As mentioned before I started the DCC install. On Friday night I got the control unit working the heater air mixer box.

Yesterday, I took out the dashboard, the blower unit, evaporator, and the heater air mixer box.

I thought I had a fully charged A/C system with R12. Found out I had a totally discharged system. Probably due to a leak in the system somewhere. I tore out the entire A/C system, and cleaned all the A/C lines, evaporator, and condenser, with A/C flush/cleaner.

During all of this, I also decided it was time to get my Prelude steering wheel installed. I know everyone has had issues installing this in a 92-93 but I think I've found a decent solution without having to do anything to the steering column. More to come on this later though.

Another project that has come up during this time is removing the SRS system. I have not started on this quite yet. But while up at the other garage I picked up the sub-harness for the horn and cruise control from my totaled parts car. I'm hoping I can figure out how to use this harness instead of having to use the system that is tied into the SRS.

The last project to have come up during this massive under taking is swapping in the 93 SE sedan dash board. I've stripped off the harness and gotten it prepped to accept the harness from the current dashboard. So needless to say I've got this massive time sink in front of me again. After saying I need to focus on other projects. I just didn't think the DCC would get me this involved somehow. Then again I knew the dash had to come out...

Empty Interior

A/C Removed 1

A/C Removed 2

Comment

On Saturday I wasn't as productive as I was hoping to be. I did manage to get get air mix box converted over to work with the DCC. This took quite a few different modifications but I finally managed to get it all working. It still needs to be wired up.

Air Mix Box 1 (New seals, hopefully airflow will be improved.)

Air Mix Box 2

Air Mix Box 3

Air Mix Box 4 (This is where the DCC will control the air mix box. You can see it is installed onto the pin that was pre-existing.

Comment

Having the day off due to it being a holiday I managed to get a few more things wrapped up on the car.

The SRS system is now fully removed.

It appears the horn and cruise control wiring is passed straight through the SRS system. It then plugs into the firewall harness. So I can use the other cruise, and horn sub harness from my 90-91 parts car.

Firewall with SRS removed, before I got anything put back into it this morning.

Interior Currently (Mind you nothing is bolted down currently except the air mix box. The steering wheel isn't modified yet either. Just for the picture. There is no evaporator or blower motor installed.)

Now that the hardest parts of the DCC are out of the way, the install should start moving along a little bit quicker now. I also picked up the new o-rings and gasket kit to finish rebuilding the A/C.

Comment

Nice work Will. I really want to remove my dashboard and remove all wires and components I'm not using but that project actually intimidates me not sure why.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Nice work Will. I really want to remove my dashboard and remove all wires and components I'm not using but that project actually intimidates me not sure why.
              It's not all that bad really. Just more tedious and time consuming than anything. I was slightly intimidated before I started this, but I knew there was only one way to get it done. Suck it up and do it. I'm actually really happy that I was able to remove the SRS though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                It's not all that bad really. Just more tedious and time consuming than anything. I was slightly intimidated before I started this, but I knew there was only one way to get it done. Suck it up and do it. I'm actually really happy that I was able to remove the SRS though.
                That's a big reason why I wanted to pull the dash to get all the SRS out of it as well, since I don't have the stock steering wheel anymore.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

That's a big reason why I wanted to pull the dash to get all the SRS out of it as well, since I don't have the stock steering wheel anymore.
                  I'm so happy to be getting rid of that huge eyesore in my interior. The Prelude wheel just looks so much cleaner. Also no worries about getting punched in the face, burns from the powder, and possibly lung cancer from the powder.

Comment

Last night I didn't manage all that much. I did get the transistor mounted to the air blower housing, as well as the relay for it. Will get all the wiring done tonight and hopefully have some pictures for you guys tonight or tomorrow.

I had to help out a buddy last night with his '93 Ford Ranger manual. His slave cylinder is going out. Needless to say in Ford's infinite wisdom the engineers put the slave cylinder inside the bell housing between the engine and transmission. We got it bled enough to get him home, but it looks like I've been recruited to do this job.

Comment

Didn't get a lot of time to work on Lola last night. But I did get all the wiring done for the blower motor. Also finished up working on the evaporator.

Evaporator

Blower Motor Transistor Installed

Blower Motor Wiring 1

Blower Motor Wiring 2 (Relay mounted)

Hoping I can get my A/C compressor rebuilt tonight. Then I can get the A/C system back into the car.

Comment

Last night I got the A/C compressor disassembled cleaned up and reassembled. I still need to install the pulley but otherwise it's done.

A/C Compressor 1

A/C Compressor 2 (I'll probably clean that last little hole tonight. It will most likely bug me if I don't.)

Comment

That was very thoughtful of you to remove the airbag for youself in the drivers seat and add one for the passenger side.

Is that wheel out of a 88-91 Prelude?
                          Does the cruise control buttons wire in?

Did you have to modify the seat rails for the front CL seats to fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Flip-Eye View Post
                            That was very thoughtful of you to remove the airbag for youself in the drivers seat and add one for the passenger side.

Is that wheel out of a 88-91 Prelude?
                            Does the cruise control buttons wire in?

Did you have to modify the seat rails for the front CL seats to fit?
                            I know that was so nice of me to do that to my poor passengers, right? Yes it's there but it's not hooked up so "technically" it shouldn't ever go off. Eventually I want to try and disassemble it and use the framework to build a little compartment to probably stick the engine fusebox into.

The steering wheel is off of a 90-91 Prelude SI specifically. The 88-89 steering wheel has a square emblem in it like the 90-91 Accord wheel. The base model Prelude has a wheel with 4 spokes somewhat like our stock one. I have a 88-89 Prelude SI wheel in the garage if you'd like a picture of it.

The cruise control will wire in, but I have to cut one end off the SRS system, that plugs into the firewall harness. As well as use a 90-91 sub-harness that has the horn/cc wires in it. I don't think there is another plug like it on the car, I will look though before I chop my SRS plug. I won't be able to make it to a junk yard to cut one before I get that far in this project. All the junk yards around here SUCK! My goto is usually Pull and Save in Spokane, WA. You can also refer to this DIY by one of our members. His way leaves the SRS in place, I wanted it totally out of the car.

For the CL seats I only had to enlarge one hole a little bit as it was just slightly off. I did this with a Dremel bit designed to cut/grind metal out. Took no more than 45 seconds with this bit.

Comment

On Friday night I got a lot of the wiring for the DCC wrapped up.

-Sunlight sensor installed and wired into DCC
                              -ECT sensor wired into DCC
                              -Motor for pulling air over the inside temperature sensor wired in, kicks on with ignition
                              -Air mix cool-heat flaps fully controlled by DCC in incremental steps
                              -Modified mounts for motor to move heat-cool flaps, was catching in motion
                              -Vacuum solenoid installed into black box and wired into DCC, haven't tested as water valve isn't installed
                              -Tested blower motor, DCC fully controls fan speeds correctly, as well as all other functions on the blower motor

I'm sure there were some other things. But it's been a few days and I worked on Lola till after midnight.

On Saturday, I got all of the A/C installed other than the evaporator. The alternator installed with the belt. Installed the outside air temperature sensor. Partially ran the wire for it, will wrap it up tomorrow night. I got other things done but I can't recall what they are right now. I stayed up till 1:30 working on various projects for Lola.

Today I worked on my buddy's '93 Ford Ranger. We replaced the slave cylinder located inside the bell housing. What a bitch that job turned out to be. It really wasn't bad getting the old one fully out. But getting the transmission back onto the motor. It just refused to slide the last inch and a half into the clutch/flywheel. I think it took about 3ish hours to get the transmission onto the engine. Once that was done we wrapped up in about 40 minutes and had him off and happy. I took the rest of the day off. So maybe tomorrow I'll accomplish a few things on Lola.
                              Last edited by Rilas; 09-15-2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

That brings back memories from when I installed my DCC. Fun times. Looks good, keep it up.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                                JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Working...
                                X