"Haters"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Haters"

I have to vent here for a bit so bear with me. I'm sure some of you may feel the same way.

Why is it that honest criticism or even simply having a different opinion/taste (in relation to cars) is immediately brushed aside and a person making such posts labeled as a "hater"? I understand people do genuinely hate on anything and everything because they can't do it for themselves (because of a lack of motivation, financial restrictions or a lack of technical expertise). They deserve the label.

But it seems NOONE can take legitimate criticism of their choices without getting their egos hurt and taking it out on those offering an opinion by labeling them a "hater", the car world version of being called a bigot or racist. I can't wrap my head around it, especially when such people lead off with "opinions?" or "what are your thoughts?". Why ask if all you want is bandwagon yes men sucking on your proverbial car culture c*ck?

To be clear this isn't this community in my experience, I think it's because we tend to be older and the rules are strictly enforced so we tend to weed out the ones who typically do this. Anywho, I just needed to put these thoughts down because it's becoming annoying. For anyone curious I can lay out the conversation(s) that lead to this, but it is a fairly common occurrence these days so I'm sure you all have your own examples as well.

I think it is just this day & age. People are very quick to be offended. Also, people never want to actually talk things over but instead lead into a heated argument. Even outside of the car culture people act the same as you describe.

Like, I have some friends that love country music. I on the other hand just prefer not to listen to it but I still get called a hater just because I do not like it. I do not know why but whatever.

I think people just don't like to be corrected & cannot admit when they are wrong so they get mad & take it personal.

Cars are all opinion especially when it comes to the way they look or sound.

I have a bunch of friends who drive diesels..I personally do not like diesel trucks but as soon as I say that I hear, " Oh but your car sounds like a crappy lawnmower."

Everyone has an opinion lol.
    Keep Pushing..

Comment

I blame social media. It's not always about 'being able to take criticism.' For all the "hate" received, there's the same amount being dished out.

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
      Everyone has an opinion lol.
      And thanks to social media, everyone thinks they have the right to throw theirs out, no matter how bad it might make the person feel. It bleeds off the internet and into real life. People have no consideration.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Everyone want's everybody else's opinion, even if they aren't really looking for opinions on the matter. Its more or less devolved into something that people think is a polite thing to do in a social atmosphere. And often times I see asking for an opinion as a way for the person to show off what they have, what they did, or what they think everyone else is doing wrong.

Cars are a touchy subject for most enthusiasts. It can be a way for someone to express themselves... so I can see how someone can get their panties in a bunch.
        BUT when you're going around fishing for opinions, you're asking for people to critique what you've done, good or bad. Sure deep down they are wanting to hear only GOOD feedback, but often people (especially these days) will point out every flaw or dislike.

So my opinion on this subject, I don't give a sh*t what people think. Just don't ask for an opinion if you really don't want it. I am polite enough to keep my opinions to myself until asked, at which point you will get the god's honest truth (good or bad).
        Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

I’ve been called a “hater” so many times over the years! If you search through my posts since 2012 or so, you’d find quite a few rants about the now-locked unofficial cb7tuner Facebook group (there is now an official one that isn’t total crap.)

I would be called names on a daily basis, largely because I tried to educate people, correct misinformation, and discourage bad advice. I kept my mouth shut (or rather, my fingers still) when people made aesthetic choices I didn’t care for. But when they ran extreme camber on stretched Ling Long tires, cut springs, and original shocks, and they solicited opinions... opinions were shared.

I totally agree that social media is likely at the heart of things. Builds aren’t done to win races or shows anymore. They’re done solely for instagram follows and Facebook likes. With the right filter and lighting, a 50 foot car can look like a masterpiece. Questionable builds are dubbed “reliable” because their owners disappear after they blow up.
          That, and a blurry sideways picture of a ratty car in a parking lot seems to get a plethora of likes and positive comments... so the degeneration of the whole automotive enthusiast scene is clearly evident in that alone!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Builds aren’t done to win races or shows anymore.
            I agree with everything but this part. There’s so many builds that don’t even make it on the internet because the builder did it for themselves, or they just don’t care about the social media stuff.

This might sound dumb, but is CB7tuner considered social media?

Edit: I care about your guys opinions, but that’s about it.

Comment

I'd say it's social media, as a forum is by definition a meeting of people, and we're taking part in it via computer, the medium. Thank God there's no clickbait 30-second videos of people making food with a shitload of cheese in it...yet.
              My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
              Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
              Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                I agree with everything but this part. There’s so many builds that don’t even make it on the internet because the builder did it for themselves, or they just don’t care about the social media stuff.

This might sound dumb, but is CB7tuner considered social media?

Edit: I care about your guys opinions, but that’s about it.
                That’s true. I suppose I’m speaking more of the people on the internet. I’ve noticed many serious enthusiasts tend to shy away from the internet interaction entirely now.

And yeah, I guess this is social media, but of a different era. We don’t cater to those that seek instant gratification. We’re like Blockbuster, while the current trend is YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post

And thanks to social media, everyone thinks they have the right to throw theirs out, no matter how bad it might make the person feel. It bleeds off the internet and into real life. People have no consideration.
                  ^This. The best way I've heard it explained. I do feel bad for kids who have to group up in a tech world. YouTube is now flooded as everyone and their grandma have a channel. Car meets, police chases, burnouts, .... name your flavor. Your world is online.

Now........ wow. People can make the world hate you. In minutes.

But people who call others haters are simply uncomfortable at accepting criticism.

Comment

I always enjoyed the “what do you think? (no negative comments!)” posts. Especially when the car and/or picture is nothing worth showing off. It’s like saying “tell me how great my car is!” or more likely, “I dare you to say something negative, haters!”

I don’t disagree that modern social media, even more than forums, encourages people to be excessively mean. The fast pace and temporary nature of most social media is ideal for being a jerk and forgetting all about it. Honestly, I’ve felt it myself. I could be mean to John Smith on Facebook with little provocation. If I knew John Smith as HondaFreak2000 on this forum, I’d think twice. The fictitious forum handle holds more humanity to me than a person’s real name! It’s one reason I had to step away from it all for a bit. I became a real jerk, and I didn’t like it.

Comment

If I knew John Smith as HondaFreak2000 on this forum, I’d think twice. The fictitious forum handle holds more humanity to me than a person’s real name!
                      Yeah, I could never be an ass to anyone on here, whether they were new or not, no matter how much I disagreed with something. I've been here long enough that I feel like I'm a part of this place. Like, if I read something on here that set me off and I responded without checking myself, I'd feel incredibly embarrassed and then probably stay away for a while, hoping for it to blow over. Even though it's the internet. I don't know any of you guys personally, likely never will, and the few locals I've met I've seen again maybe once every couple years. But since we're in this same small community together, I care about your opinions. Creating any sort of awkwardness or bad vibes would be the worst. I feel the main social media channels - Facebook, Instagram, YouTube's comments section, etc - are too large to feel personal, so people are quick to drop their inhibition. And of course, as The Offspring said, "it's cool to hate."

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                        Yeah, I could never be an ass to anyone on here, whether they were new or not, no matter how much I disagreed with something. I've been here long enough that I feel like I'm a part of this place. Like, if I read something on here that set me off and I responded without checking myself, I'd feel incredibly embarrassed and then probably stay away for a while, hoping for it to blow over. Even though it's the internet. I don't know any of you guys personally, likely never will, and the few locals I've met I've seen again maybe once every couple years. But since we're in this same small community together, I care about your opinions. Creating any sort of awkwardness or bad vibes would be the worst. I feel the main social media channels - Facebook, Instagram, YouTube's comments section, etc - are too large to feel personal, so people are quick to drop their inhibition. And of course, as The Offspring said, "it's cool to hate."
                        Maybe that's it... the whole sense of community seems to have been diluted among today's enthusiasts.

And you win 10,000 internetz for the lesser known Offspring reference! (I have fond memories of driving my CB7 through the NJ pine barrens blasting Ixnay on the Hombre!)

Comment

I always enjoyed the “what do you think? (no negative comments!)” posts. Especially when the car and/or picture is nothing worth showing off. It’s like saying “tell me how great my car is!” or more likely, “I dare you to say something negative, haters!”
                          This is half the problem to me, openly invite comment and if it isn't blowing rainbows and sparkles up the OP's ass then the responder is a "hater". I've always understood that a hater was someone being mean just to be mean or as a result of no self confidence. Not these days, it seems that is the go to word for anyone who doesn't agree with you (like misogynist, bigot, etc...)

The other half is that no one can look at honest and respectful criticism as anything but an assault to their ego, it's their way or the highway, there is no wrong way to do something. This obviously applies to everyday life but I find it more acutely represented in car "enthusiasts".

Comment

Many of the people on the internet these days seem to have no concept of how their words can upset others.
                            Many others are, as you mentioned, unwilling to accept even polite, constructive criticism.

I agree that someone that says "man, what a pile of rice! those chrome wheels are hideous. I hope your car burns to the ground with you in it!" is taking things WAY too far.
                            I also agree that someone that gets offended when told that their ebay turbo setup is PROBABLY going to result in a blown engine, especially if they don't pay attention to the internals and the tune. I've been called a "hater" so many times for saying that very thing!

Being unnecessarily insulting is wrong. Being unwilling to listen to advice, criticism (especially when requested), and anything else that isn't EXACTLY what you want to hear is equally wrong.

People just need to learn that they're talking to other human beings. I do my best not to say anything to someone online that I wouldn't say to their face. Of course, I've been known to say some pretty harsh things to people's faced.

Comment

Working...
                            X