H22a swap going NUTS with vtec crossover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22a swap going NUTS with vtec crossover

I have a 90 lx with a 96 jdm h22a swap. Phearable chipped p28 ecu for dsm 450cc injectors, no iabs or whatever the hell they're called. Anyways...car runs cherry up until vtec crossover then it starts sputtering like crazy. No check engine lights. Jumped pressure switch to battery and it clicks so the solenoid is functional. The switch is communicating to the ecu because it does cross over, just when it crosses over it wants to go crazy.

I've done research on this forum, and EVERY SINGLE THREAD is a dead end. Most people immmediatly jump to a chipped ecu being the issue but this has not been proven, and my car has the same issue running on a p72 ecu. I will try a p13 later today but im sure that will have the same result.

Has anyone had this problem and actually solved it? Any ideas where to start? I've been chasing various issues on this car for a year, after thousands of dollars spent this is the last one, and most frustrating.

Originally posted by moore View Post
    I have a 90 lx with a 96 jdm h22a swap. Phearable chipped p28 ecu for dsm 450cc injectors, no iabs or whatever the hell they're called. Anyways...car runs cherry up until vtec crossover then it starts sputtering like crazy. No check engine lights. Jumped pressure switch to battery and it clicks so the solenoid is functional. The switch is communicating to the ecu because it does cross over, just when it crosses over it wants to go crazy.

I've done research on this forum, and EVERY SINGLE THREAD is a dead end. Most people immmediatly jump to a chipped ecu being the issue but this has not been proven, and my car has the same issue running on a p72 ecu. I will try a p13 later today but im sure that will have the same result.

Has anyone had this problem and actually solved it? Any ideas where to start? I've been chasing various issues on this car for a year, after thousands of dollars spent this is the last one, and most frustrating.

Well, the first question I have is does it doe the same thing with VTEC disabled?

Comment

Nope, runs fine...feels a little weird but it pulls pretty decent

Comment

try removing the VTEC solenoid and cleaning the screen / slider peg ?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Already did, and replace gaskets. Screen I replaced was very clean, not clogged at all but I replaced anyways

Comment

I would have to say that one of your vtec lobes may be stuck or not cutting over. So you have one cylinder not working properly under VTEC. ECU is telling the engine to add more fuel during VTEC but lobes are not cooperating which is allowing too much air or fuel into the mixture = car running like shit.

Long shot but this is what it sounds like. I"m not sure how one would test this theory though and I can only see this problem happening with thick oil that hasn't been changed in a long time.

Comment

That is...like you said a very long shot.

Comment

Agreed. Can we assume your oil level is proper?

Comment

I know you guys have to ask...but yes. I did check the oil level. 17 times. Even changed the oil.

Comment

Just finished reading multiple threads on this topic from what I found in google. And no-one really has an answer for this. One of the pages (S2K car) he tried everything, even changed the oil pump! His car with out VTEC on would go to redline no problem and with VTEC would start sputtering like you are describing.

All forums point to the ECU as the problem. So I would say try the other ECU you said you were going to try.

Comment

and maybe try a new ignition setup if you have a spare ignitor and/or ignition coil. But that doesn't explain why it would be only affected by VTEC. Maybe the tune is weird - when it crosses into VTEC it adjusts the fuel/ignition map, maybe the ones that are currently on the ECU are just off enough to get your setup to buck? What's the deal with the 450cc injectors, why arent you running stocks? Is your fuel pressure correct? Definitely try that P13 if you can.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

You see the problem I'm having?! It's really frustrating! I've tried the p72 and it ran like dog shit so I'll try the p13. I believe the p13 has a provision for the knock sensor...which my car is not wired for lol so that's gonna cause a whole nother plethora of issues

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                          and maybe try a new ignition setup if you have a spare ignitor and/or ignition coil. But that doesn't explain why it would be only affected by VTEC. Maybe the tune is weird - when it crosses into VTEC it adjusts the fuel/ignition map, maybe the ones that are currently on the ECU are just off enough to get your setup to buck? What's the deal with the 450cc injectors, why arent you running stocks? Is your fuel pressure correct? Definitely try that P13 if you can.
                          couldn't find obd1 h22 injectors for under 150 dollars and these were free. Me and my friends have run these injectors on almost every Honda we've had and they work fine. If I can find some h22 345ccs try I will, but I searched for months and only came up with some stupid fuck trying to sell me them for 150. And another stupid fuck I actually bought from him but they ended up being obd2 injectors

Comment

Originally posted by moore View Post
                            couldn't find obd1 h22 injectors for under 150 dollars and these were free. Me and my friends have run these injectors on almost every Honda we've had and they work fine. If I can find some h22 345ccs try I will, but I searched for months and only came up with some stupid fuck trying to sell me them for 150. And another stupid fuck I actually bought from him but they ended up being obd2 injectors
                            I was pretty sure a 96 H22 is OBDII (95+), but you didn't say what car it came from.

Question for you, has this setup ever ran properly??

Comment

It has not, I've been chasing various codes for several weeks. 17 and 22 were the last ones I fixed. New speed sensor fixed 17 and all the connectors on the sub-harness for vtec wiring was loose so that fixed 22. Went for a test drive after resetting the ecu then this shit happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X