Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

17" wheels are SLOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steel wheels are pretty heavy so the stock 14's probably aren't the lightest...but the contact patch is pretty small.

15" alloys FTW.
    1990 Frost White EX Coupe F23A1 - PART OUT
    01 DC4

Comment

Originally posted by ludedude1992 View Post
      I dont understand why anyone puts over 16" wheels on hondas....

I roll 15"s on almost every honda ive owned
      It's called...ding ding...personal preference.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
        Also, lets not forget the additional friction from having a tire with a wider contact patch. The excellent tradeoff in that equation is increased grip.
        my thoughts also.

If the circumference is the same but the new ones are lighter doesnt neccessarily mean faster acceleration/speed. where the mass is concentrated is superbly important. and im not 100% sure theyre lighter but they feel lighter. imma have to double that and weigh them both. awesome replies btw

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
          It's called...ding ding...personal preference.
          I guess...but then you get threads like this

Comment

Originally posted by brooklynkid1986 View Post
            If the circumference is the same but the new ones are lighter doesnt neccessarily mean faster acceleration/speed. where the mass is concentrated is superbly important.
            Agreed. It's quite possible to have two different wheels where the heavier wheel (i.e. wheel with most mass) requires less power to spin up to X rpm in Y time than the wheel with less mass. Same applies for slowing the wheels from X rpm in Y time.

This would be the case where the lighter wheel had more of it's mass located near the circumference than does the heavier wheel, meaning the heavier wheel would need to have a less massive center than the lighter wheel. As the wheel diameter goes up the mass of tyre rubber goes down, but is replaced by a far greater mass of wheel rim located further from the hub centre.

It's the same deal as with flywheels, i.e. it's "where the mass is concentrated" that is "superbly important", not the absolute mass (within reason).
            Last edited by johnl; 04-28-2009, 05:00 PM.
            Regards from Oz,
            John.

Comment

Victims of fashion, i.e. dubious style over function...
              Regards from Oz,
              John.

Comment

17's because i was hoping to get a wider tire patch. terminology may be off but ya know what i mean. I autoX and was thinkin that would be better but im thinkin im wrong. last event (saturday) was drawn by a corvette driver so it was straightaways with wide turns. a power course and i got my butt handed to me. The wider stance didnt help and i lost any acceleration/torque advantage spinnin 17's on the front. Maybe i'll throw steelies on the front for this next event and see where it gets me

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                  Victims of fashion, i.e. dubious style over function...
                  I can understand the whole "more show than go" ideals

Comment

Wheel diameter does not correspond with a wider tire patch, you can have 9" wide 15" wheels, or 7" wide 17" wheels. Guess on which you can fit the wider tire?

Comment

swap to a more powerful engine and you wont have to worry about it

but in all honesty i would say nothing bigger than 16s for performance but i love the look of a slammed VIP on 19s or 20s ... though i would never go VIP because i cant afford to change tires on 19s and 20s

Comment

Originally posted by David Lundin View Post
                        Wheel diameter does not correspond with a wider tire patch, you can have 9" wide 15" wheels, or 7" wide 17" wheels. Guess on which you can fit the wider tire?
                        Nope, but when have you seen a 17''x5'' wheel?
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter
                        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I roll 15"s on almost every honda ive owned

2001+ hondas started coming with 16", 17" rims

you are just refering to ricey heavy ass 17"s with 55 series tires
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by trickedaccord92 View Post
                            swap to a more powerful engine and you wont have to worry about it

but in all honesty i would say nothing bigger than 16s for performance but i love the look of a slammed VIP on 19s or 20s ... though i would never go VIP because i cant afford to change tires on 19s and 20s
                            lol 18's all the way!
                            Accord SE

93se
                            Members Ride
                            Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                            Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                              Nope, but when have you seen a 17''x5'' wheel?
                              What has that to do with anything? I'm willing to bet there are plenty of 15" rims out there that is the same width as his 17", so it's a moot point. He could've gone with a lighter 15" wheel and gotten the same width.

Comment

Originally posted by esskater892 View Post
                                lol 20's all the way!

haha fixed
                                Chipped ecu's always in stock p28,p06 etc. Pm for prices. Chipping and tuning services also available.
                                Timmy Tuning

Need work done? Hit me up at the shop.
                                FISTRacing

H-Town accord coordinator.
                                Daily Grind.

Comment

Working...
                                X