CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #201
Night Wolf
CB7tuner Member

Night Wolf seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Night Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilas View Post
'99 CL 2.3 Manual (I've only ever seen auto's I didn't even know they came in manual. I really want to see if this cluster will work in our cars. I compared it to a 6th Gen cluster and I like this one much better.)

it works on the 5th gen. Im rocking one. I did hear the V6 ones were different though.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)-01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan-(CURRENT)
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #202
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
it works on the 5th gen. Im rocking one. I did hear the V6 ones were different though.
I've been looking at wiring diagrams, so I can get it all prepped before I take a single screw out of the car. Then hopefully I can manage to get it working on more or less the first try. I've read about a lot of problems with people trying to use the V6 ones. I was stunned to find a manual CL cluster. Of course I need to get it swapped to manual as well to get this in and working properly.
Rilas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #203
Rilas
Gold Member

So I don't have a lot for updates. I've just been slowly working on this H22A1 head. Few things I've noticed. Mine engine is a '92, this is stamped on the block. The casting of the intake ports on the head is ABSOLUTELY awful. I'm hoping Honda fixed this in the later years and were just rushed to get these into the Preludes. If not everyone has crappy castings. I know the intake ports are large compared to the exhaust ports. But come on that doesn't mean you have to cast them for absolute shit. I've run into differences in the roof and floor as well as the divider walls. Not to mention one port had almost an 1/8" of casting buildup right at the beginning of the port mouth. The exhaust ports seem to be much better cast. Anyway here are some pictures of how the intake ports have turned out. They are a little rough around the valve guides. I'm not going to work them out any more. The flap wheel gave them the polished look. The finest I have worked these ports with was 120 grit. So they are still rough for air flow purposes. Anyway here are some pictures of how they turned out. I didn't change the shape of anything, just took out the massive casting flaws running down the side of the ports and the casting texture off the rest of the port. So I shouldn't have affected velocity at all.

H22A1 Intake Port Floor

H22A1 Intake Port Roof

H22A1 Intake Port Flow

H22A1 Intake Port Bowl

Hopefully I'll have some more progress type pictures on the exhaust ports. I didn't have much of before and middle stages of this project. I'll try and document the exhaust ports a little better. Anyway this should free up a few HP by the time I'm done.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #204
Rilas
Gold Member

Not a whole lot to update, the night before Thanksgiving I accomplished the following. As I've just been spending hour upon hour staring into exhaust ports. I've worked on 7 out of 8 of the bowls for the exhaust valves. I left one untouched so I could take a comparison picture. I'll work out the last one tonight most likely.

Untouched Exhaust Port with 1 Bowl Ported

Untouched Exhaust Bowl

Ported Exhaust Bowl

1st Pass Exhaust Port 1 (This was only about a 10 minute touchup. I really just wanted to knock the carbon off and see where this port was really at. The casting marks were actually not bad at all in this port.)

1st Pass Exhaust Port 2

Hopefully I can get this finished up soon. I would like to get this thing off to the machine shop and off my bench. I have an insulation project for the house but I need my garage picked up, and having a VTEC head disassembled in 4 different places isn't going to work.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #205
Rilas
Gold Member

Still not a lot to update with. Other things have been keeping me busy. I did spend some time this last weekend doing some odds and ends on Lola.

Black Interior Trim in Trunk 1 (I still need to take the time to clean the rear piece, I just stuck it in here. Which isn't normal.)

Black Interior Trim in Trunk 2

Black Interior Door Plug (I should have grabbed the piece behind it but I was rushed for time at the junk yard. Maybe I'll find another coupe soon and get the last few bits.)

Black Interior Pocket Hole (Now filled with the different styled DX plug that covers the screw in the door handle.)

Black Trim Door Handle and Lock (Thanks for the tip Jarrett!)

I have no more pictures, but I have managed to get 2 more exhaust ports cleaned up better than the one pictured above. All casting marks are now removed and all surfaces are smooth. I still have a lot of work left in front of me. I try to get all my work done with 1 type of bit before moving onto the next bit. This allows me to get more consistency across the ports. One more port left then I can change up bits and work around the valve guides.

Last edited by Rilas; 12-02-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:46 AM   #206
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
Will, I'm liking the progress here. What grit flapper wheel do you use in your progress of porting? Also are you using the dremel pen attachment to get in the tight spaces?
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #207
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
Interior stuff is looking good!
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #208
Rilas
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
Will, I'm liking the progress here. What grit flapper wheel do you use in your progress of porting? Also are you using the dremel pen attachment to get in the tight spaces?
Nick, so far I have only used 120 grit on both the intake and the exhaust ports. Obviously I'm done working on the intake. But I've found starting with 80 grit it takes a lot longer to work out the markings from the 80 grit later on. So now I just start with 120 and use that to take off all the casting marks and imperfections. Also it allows me to make more "mistakes" per say because the material isn't being removed nearly as quickly. I do have a flex or pen attachment albiet Sears brand not Dremel. I got a hell of a good deal on it when the local sears store was closing.

So I used the flap wheel a lot on the intake ports due to them being huge. The non worn flap wheel fit in there with no problems. Well I wore out that flap wheel. I have purchased a new one but it's a close fit in the mouth of the exhaust ports. So I have only used the 1/2" drums on the exhaust so far. Once I finish up this last mouth and as much as I can do with the 1/2" drum I'm going down to the 1/4" drum to finish up the little stuff around the valve guide. Once I've gotten most of that cleanup done, I'd like to hit it with the flap wheel quickly just to even everything out. Also I think it will help to finish polishing it out with the finer bits. I hope if I can use it on the port mouths it will wear down enough to fit into the bowls. The flap wheel really seems to semi polish them up well.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #209
Rilas
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Interior stuff is looking good!
Thanks for the compliment!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #210
Rilas
Gold Member

I have some pictures but I didn't bring them to work today. So just a short little update. Two nights ago I spend a bit of time cleaning up the last exhaust port. Last night I spent more time working on the exhaust ports. I finally got to a point I felt I could switch bits in the Dremel. So in one of the exhaust ports I got out the 1/4" sanding drum and worked around the valve guide some. After I was somewhat happy with that. It still needs more work. I got out the flap wheel and started cleaning up my initial work on the mouth of the exhaust ports. After working on all 4 of the mouths with the flap wheel I found some inconsistencies between the ports. I went back to the 1/2" sanding drum and worked out the inconsistencies. This is the point where I called it quits yesterday. So tonight I'll go back and cleanup with the flap wheel, what I roughed up last night. At least I'm getting close to getting this head to the machine shop.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:46 AM   #211
Rilas
Gold Member

I've been slowly continuing to poke and prod at the exhaust ports. Here is where 3 out of 4 are currently at. Mind you I broke the tip of one of the bits. So the carbon and casting around the valve guide will be cleaned up in the future, as the one one the left is in the following pictures.

Exhaust Port 1 (Finally all casting is cleaned up walls and port roof are smooth. Touch more work around the valve guides and they are done. I still have done absolutely no work to the port floor yet. I'm going to turn the head here soon and briefly just clean up the floor, but not remove any more material then I need to. So these ports are getting very close to being ready to polish up. Finally the hard part is almost over.)

Exhaust Port 2

Soon this thing will be off to the machine shop and I can really overhaul and cleanup/reorganize the garage. It's over due to many projects piled up back to back. More updates coming soon.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #212
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Straight Success seems to have made some friends! Straight Success seems to have made some friends!
I adjusted the timing and fixed my oil pan gasket. She's back to beast mode. You'd love how she pulls now.

"...never let them know your next move..."

- Christopher "Frank White" Wallace

Straight Success is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #213
Rilas
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
I adjusted the timing and fixed my oil pan gasket. She's back to beast mode. You'd love how she pulls now.
I'm sure I would love it . Hopefully I can experience that on my own in the coming months. Considering I'm slowly making progress on this damn H22 head. It's getting closer to going to the machine shop.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #214
Rilas
Gold Member

No pictures for updates but yesterday I got to spend about 5 hours working on the exhaust ports. Almost totally done with the casting/smoothing. I just have 1 more area that I have to work out on all the exhaust ports. Then it's time to move onto polishing them up. Which will go much quicker than the cleanup process. Maybe in the next week or two I'll actually get this head off to the machine shop to get cleaned up the rest of the way.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:41 AM   #215
Rilas
Gold Member

Well not a huge update. But I've spent many many hours standing at my workbench slaving away at the exhaust ports in the H22A1 cylinder head. I've got 2 of the ports pretty much done. I just need to do a bit more polishing in them and they are done. All the casting and everything else is worked out and smooth now. Everything flows nice and even. It's a big improvement from where it started at.

Exhaust Port 1 (After taking these pictures I noticed this particular port still needs a bit more polishing. I will clean these up tomorrow night.)

Exhaust Port 2 (I don't have any bits that I can work the rough area out by the valve guide. It's still a million times better than the factory left it though.)

Exhaust Port 3 (A little bit of roughness still left by the port divider. Will work this out tomorrow as well.)

As you can see I almost have this damn head off to the machine shop to be cleaned up, most likely resurfaced, and a 3 angle valve job. I'll check on the status of the block, and hopefully get some pictures of it, when I drop the head off. I meant to get a few pictures of the bowls but I forgot to turn the head when I had the camera out there. Maybe tomorrow I'll get some pictures of it.

I also managed to put in a bit of time working on fitting the back seat. Its almost looking like it was meant for the Accord from the factory. One more go at it should have it finished up. I don't have any pictures of the seat though at the time being.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #216
Rilas
Gold Member

Well over the past week I've just kept plugging away as time permits. As I was working on my last 2 ports, and finishing them up I found I needed to put more work into the first 2 ports to be happy. This is now done. I've started the polishing process now. As I decided I've put enough time into working the ports at this point. Following is where 2 of the ports are at now. I would have gotten a bit further but I ran out of the abrasive wheels that I'm working with. I'll pickup some more on the way home tonight and continue forward.

H22A1 Exhaust Port 1

H22A1 Exhaust Port 2

H22A1 Exhaust Port 3

H22A1 Exhaust Port 4

All of the above pictures are of port 1 on the cylinder head. At least I feel like there is finally progress.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #217
Rilas
Gold Member

I stopped by the machine shop today on the way home from work. My block was up on the bench getting prepped to bore out the FRM sleeves and press in the Darton iron ductile sleeves. Also I'm not going to be getting new rods for this. They are going to hone out the rods and press in the wrist pins. So no floating wrist pins for the time being. If the rods wear out I'll buy a set of H22A4 rods and a new set of wrist pins. I'm trying to keep the costs down though since I had to purchase sleeves and pay to put them in the block. I think I'll stop by the machine shop tomorrow and see if I can get some pictures of the block with the new sleeves.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:12 AM   #218
Rilas
Gold Member

Last night I managed to get the first 2 ports mostly polished. I need to get some more bit for the Dremel though. I did find a spot in each port that has tiny dips in it. I need to polish them out with the roughest wheel. I will get a picture of a polished up port in a few days. On another note I stopped by the machine shop again today, and low and behold I have some pictures!

H22A1 Block with Darton Sleeves 1

H22A1 Block with Darton Sleeves 2

H22A1 Block on Decking Machine 1

H22A1 Block on Decking Machine 2 (Here you can clearly see the slight lip on the sleeves. I stopped in as they were attaching the block to the machine that will deck it.)

So while this machine shop hasn't done a lot of work on Honda engines. I seem to be the fool that keeps going back there. But they have done a lot of other work for me and none of it has had issues yet. So I do trust their work. Mike the machinist working on my block did mention that this has the nicest aluminum he has ever worked. It just cut much cleaner than all the other aluminum blocks they have sleeved. Also he was very impressed with the quality of the Darton sleeves, compared to whatever they put in domestic engines. All in all this left me very confident with the work that was done to this block. Next week they will hone out the rods for the wrist pins, then start working on balancing the rotating assembly. The crankshaft will also be micro polished sometime during this as well. Next week the sleeves are getting bored for the pistons as well. They are working on getting a quote together on resurfacing the rocker arm pads. I feel like I'm forgetting something, but thats a decent update for the day.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #219
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
It's nice to see the excitement and devotion in this thread. Like a young buck in the cb7 community! Love it. Subscribed.

You know......, no better time to replace those rods than now. Especially if you want to shoot for high HP down the road.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #220
Rilas
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
It's nice to see the excitement and devotion in this thread. Like a young buck in the cb7 community! Love it. Subscribed.

You know......, no better time to replace those rods than now. Especially if you want to shoot for high HP down the road.
Thanks for the compliment Raf99! I have so many projects lined up for this car. I just keep plugging away at them. Sort of like your white board you have in your picture of your JDM power folding mirrors.

While I woud love to replace the rods right now, it's just not in the budget. I still have to come up with both manifolds and everything on them, ecu, new seals, and bearings. Then pay the machine shop on top of it. I have no problems with tearing this apart later and rebuilding the bottom end stronger. It's not like I won't have an extra running engine or two laying around.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: