1993 Accorde SE Coupe BOSE stereo FACTS & MYTHS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ehhh they make some nice stuff

I really liked the bose sound system in my legend, it had a decent bit of power and the sound quality was very good. Then again i'm not an audiophile, so long as it makes noise and there isn't very obvious distortion i'm fine.

Comment

I went in their store in the mall and thought they had a lot of nice things in there

I mean i would never buy any of it because i'm cheap and there are cheaper things of similar quality but i wouldn't go as far as to say it's junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
        Bose tuned the system, thats all that matters at the end of the day.
        Bose may have tuned the system but Alpine and Honda put in poor components.

The head unit fails six ways from Sunday, I had tried three OEM radios before going aftermarket and each one had a different electrical problem. I just about made one working head unit out of all three, but wasn't sure if it would have a similar fate.

The amp is just a simple 4 channel amp, but the components used are cheaper than any amp I have ever purchased. My amp is still good so one day I'm going to play with it in the house on my test bench and some spare car speakers.

I am in LOVE with BOSE surround sound TVs.

Comment

I've never heard of the head units failing outside of the LCD, alpine makes all the other OEM head units

The one in my legend is nearly identical to the accord head unit and it didn't have any problems.

Comment

I had one with a failing LCD, one that had a bad power circuit, and one with bad buttons/volume knob control board. Maybe I was just lucky.

Comment

lol

I bought one bose radio to salavage the brackets and little pieces that make it light up green

I went to test it in my car, well first i tested it in the legend

The LCD was 100% dead and the volume knob made crackle noises when you adjusted it, everything else worked fine

It was out of a car with fire damage though

This is going to my stereo setup for my accord

This head unit out of a non bose 9192 legend L / 93 legend base

This adapter so i can plug my ipod into it ( that was my legend in the video, i saved the adapter i used in that video for the accord )

Last edited by Tippey764; 11-01-2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Very cool, old school tape deck with EQ... Nice find!

I wish I could find a use for the Alpine CD changer and OEM Honda cable for it. I'm actually hoping to find an OEM BOSE tape deck in good working order with the OEM specific accessory DIN plug for the CD changer.

I have even considered finding a compatible headunit just to get the CD changer function back.

What model of Acura did you get that out (nevermind just read it above) of and does it have the CD Changer DIN port? Also I assume it has a built in amplifier. I also see it doesn't require a security code so that is a bonus!
                Last edited by wildBill83; 11-01-2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                  Very cool, old school tape deck with EQ... Nice find!

I wish I could find a use for the Alpine CD changer and OEM Honda cable for it. I'm actually hoping to find an OEM BOSE tape deck in good working order with the OEM specific accessory DIN plug for the CD changer.

I have even considered finding a compatible headunit just to get the CD changer function back.

What model of Acura did you get that out (nevermind just read it above) of and does it have the CD Changer DIN port? Also I assume it has a built in amplifier. I also see it doesn't require a security code so that is a bonus!
                  I'll keep an eye out for an OEM bose head unit for you

And of course that head unit has the cd changer port on the back. Yes the amp is built in since its not from a bose model, also it does have the anti theft feature, look above the 4 button.

You can't have both my ipod adapter and a cd changer, the ipod adapter plugs into the cd changer port and acts as if it is the cd changer.

Comment

OH! Duh, I see the security marking, I'm going blind these days! No worries on finding a BOSE unit for me, I'll look around for one of those Acura units from a Legend. I really don't want to have to put the BOSE amp back in now that I bypassed it. Plus I like the built in amp and EQ features.

Did you get lucky enough to find the security code on the unit or in the glove box or did you have to call Honda and ask for it? The JY here you have to call for the codes becuase they seem to enjoy ripping out the glove boxes and selling the OEM manuals.

Eventually though I do want to go back to OEM for my headunit, even if it means retrofitting a newer harness in. I'm kinda kicking myself in the rear now for never looking inside the Vigor and Legends in my local lot, especially when I was going back day after day just to try other BOSE radios (when I was trying to keep the BOSE amp).

About the adapter, I own an Android phone and Android tablet, so when I do play my music from those it is over the FM modulator.

Also, I may be a bit old school, but I still have TONS of mix tapes that I want to listen to. I haven't fully converted to digital yet... I'm about 15 years behind on the times in that respect. I also have old vynils I listen to and new vynils at home that are still being pressed.
                    Last edited by wildBill83; 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

oh jesus you use an FM transmitter? Those things sound like CRAP lol

The pa11-hona has 2 inputs, it also has a 3.5mm headphone jack input line in it.

As for the security code, just call up honda or acura and they will give you the code if you give them the serial number. They really don't care. I helped deev put a new radio in his fit, we didn't have the code for it and it was 7pm so we called a honda dealer in washington state and they gave us the code over the phone lol.

Acura vigors don't have bose by the way, only the legends do. Vigors had this DSP radio with these silly preset things, it looks much more similar to a 9293 EX radio though. The radio i posted above from the legend is pretty much the best OEM radio that looks period correct for our cars.

Comment

Yup, I had to get a security code from one of the BOSE units I tried from the yard. Took forever, was on hold for an hour.

Do you have a link or schematic for the PA11-HONA adapter?
                        Is this it?
                        http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1

Comment

Working...
                        X