A nice trick to retard timing if dizzy is maxed out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice trick to retard timing if dizzy is maxed out

I discovered something when my timing was way off and dizzy wouldn't go anymore. Maybe someone should include it under a troubleshooting guide. I found some others that had same issue. My dizzy was maxed out retarded(clockwise to rad). My timing was way advanced. Like 60btdc. SO step 1 is Start your car and have engine running. Step 2 is pull out the 2 pin SCS connector under glovebox. Short it out like you are going to set your timing. This will retard your timing by 15 degrees. This is the same thing it does when your are setting your baseline timing. Step 3 is turn off your car and you are done. No need to pull your 7.5 amp backup fuse either but i don't think it matters if you do. If you need to retard it more. Just repeat. If your dizzy is maxed out the other way(too far retarded), idk. My car was a 92 ex M/T. I imagine this was a short term glitch or something. Not sure if it works for 93. I think on 93's if you short out scs while car is running it sets it back to 0 TDC. But not sure. I can't imagine this is how they intended this to be otherwise i think this would be more well known. Hope this helps someone.

step 1) set tdc and redo your timing belt
    step 2) do shit right.

Comment

^^
      sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I read this the other day and thought "why in the world would your dizzy need that much adjustment" but... now I know.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
          step 1) set tdc and redo your timing belt
          step 2) do shit right.
          Timing belt is perfect. I checked it. Really. This works on my car. How it got so advanced IDK. I think leaving the battery connected while changing the belt maybe and things moving around. I wasn't the one who changed it. But i assure u this works. Some sort of glitch with some or all 92's. With shorting ur scs out while running it retards timing by 15 and forgets. It don't care. 93's i would assume is different i bet as i can't imagine this was it's intended way.

Comment

You took this from the manual didn't you :P

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              You took this from the manual didn't you :P
              The manual doesn't really explain things. It sais it sets base timing. Like it is a step in a crucial process. But in reality in just retards timing 15 degrees. You don't have to short ur scs to set our timing. Every time you short it it just retards it in this model. I am assuming in 93's(maybe later years) it sets your timing automatically or back to 15btdc when you short scs connector out. I just wish i would of known this before.

Comment

Working...
              X