SUSP : Rack and Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Otto
    Not sure how I missed this thread before. Anyways, it reminded me that some blue loctite would be a good idea. And I'm REALLY going to try my best to do this with the exhaust intact. Just going to push the driver side tie-rod in and have at it. Exhaust will come out as a last resort.
    I did it with exhaust intact and let me tell you...IT WAS A BITCH!!! But I did it with the help of my roommate pulling down on the exhaust pipe to free the R&P. I would really recommend taking the downpipe to cat off.
    My CB For Sale

Comment

Nope, won't work. Sorry. Just did it and thought the same thing. Wont work.
      Edit, this is if you are doing it by yourself. Just undo the downpipe from the header and remove the hangers from the rest. This job is a pita,lol.

Comment

just undo the bolts for the exhaust guys...it'll save you tons of wasted time trying to do something tat couldve been solved by removing 6 bolts.

Originally posted by fizzbob7
        first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
        Originally posted by ACC0RD22
        no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
        So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

ya, its the only way basically. 6 very old, rusty, impossible bolts.

Comment

Well fuck all y'all. lol yup, had to yank the whole exhaust out. Had to quite for the night after I got the rack out, and wasn't going to leave my exhaust half hanging for someone to grab (new muffler, midpipe, and working cat)
            Also had to disconnect the driver's side outer tie-rod. The rack just barely fits in there, it was rediculous.

Well I hope I can get some good measurements and get the alignment close enough to drive it to work or alignment shop (only a couple miles up the road)
            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

i got the rack sitting in my trunk, and tie rods inside ready to do this since my drivers side end seal is leaking HORRIBLY, but the only thing that makes me nervous is those exhaust bolts. I'm probably just going to cut them all off, better than struggling with them. I'll just replace them with new ones since i need gaskets for it anyways
              Cars:
              91 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              98 Accord LX Sedan
              95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (E3 16G, PTE 780cc, Godspeed FMIC)

Comment

maybe i can get two birds with one stone and replace my header while im at it
                getting mine with new rack bushings next week.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Might as well buy poly bushings when you replace it. I forget what ones I used but they were civic.

Comment

it is WAY easier to remove after the exhaust is removed. You gotta slide it I think all the way to the Pass side and then move that one tierod down and then it comes out.

When I did mine recently no tierods were needed to be removed

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                      Might as well buy poly bushings when you replace it. I forget what ones I used but they were civic.
                      im selling the car so it's just going to be oem replacement.
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

finished in 2.5 hours but that didnt include putting the U joint cover and straightening the steering wheel.

time to go do an alignment
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

Im going to go get my Steering rack now, and attempt this this weekend, ill try to post pics up, Thank god for this DIY, it looks pretty easy
                          90 Panda DX F22A6

Comment

so im attenpting this today, but i think im gonna run into a problem.My flex pipe was bad so i had a guy weld in a str8 pipe, so i cant take it off to do this job. Is it still possible to get the rack out without takin the pipe off?I dont want this to take me all day either.
                            90 Panda DX F22A6

Comment

A side note for some who don't know you can pour your old oil in a bottle and put it out on the curb during garbage day and they should take it for free. They do it here in Nor Cal.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2620526 190E Mercedes Benz
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3065882 Accord Under major Repairs

Comment

Originally posted by Chirs190E16v View Post
                                A side note for some who don't know you can pour your old oil in a bottle and put it out on the curb during garbage day and they should take it for free. They do it here in Nor Cal.
                                im gonna try that
                                90 Panda DX F22A6

Comment

Working...
                                X