99 chevy silverado z71

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 chevy silverado z71

just purchased 99 Chevy Silverado 1500 z71. Anyone know of a chevy tech forum to visit?
    Thanks

There are a lot of good Chevy Silverado/truck forums. Since i have a Avalanche i am part of that specific fan group.
    One of the first mods i did was to make it so the low beams stay on when the highs were in use. It made driving at night much safer and enjoyable.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I will have to make a mental not on that modification when time permits.
      Anyone else has a good chevy tech forum?
      Thanks

Comment

There is a bunch of them out there dude just depends on what direction you plan on taking; GMtrucks.com and silveradosierra.com are just two of them. Personally the mod i loved the most was to shut off the auto headlight mode by installing a resistor in place of the light sensor that is mounted on the dash thus allowing me to turn the lights to fully manual. Having a Z71 gves you the higher compression version of the 5.3, cams are cheap for 3 bolt LS engines and there is alot of space to install long tubes, a cheap "high stall" converter is taking one from a 4.2 trailblazer which will lock up around 2400rpm. Gear sets for the model trucks are fairly inexpensive however you have the fortunate and unfortunate luck of having 4X4 which means twice the work and money spent. Keep oil changes religious as LS engines are prone to sludging causing the lifters to fail and eat cam lobes. Forgot to mention that Silverados have the upside of being able to fit the HD hoods with minor modifications which makes the trucks look tough, also please invest in a transmision cooler as the 4L60Es are known to be on the weak side.
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Thanks crank shaft. Been doing alot of research on this truck. Well I ask for it, wanted it and im defiantly stuck with it.
          Im in need of a loaner, need a tranny jack. Im in NorCal, Davis 95618 to be exact. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
            Thanks crank shaft. Been doing alot of research on this truck. Well I ask for it, wanted it and im defiantly stuck with it.
            Im in need of a loaner, need a tranny jack. Im in NorCal, Davis 95618 to be exact. Any help is greatly appreciated.
            I definitely would but im in Texas, the nbs platform is a very nice base for pretty much anything you want to do; i would say the only thing missing is a better gear on the rear end but that can be solved. Do you have any pictures?

Comment

I do have pics but dont know how to download them here.

Comment

Well, been doing a crap load of research. This tranny are expensive to have work on. Im gonna have to do it myself. Still looking for a loaner on the tranny jack and a write up or detailed video on this job along with torque specs.
                Thanks

Comment

Still looking for that loaner tranny jack. Anyone near Davis California 95618.
                  Thanks

Comment

Back when I used to help my dad before he bought a transmission jack he would place a piece of plywood on the jack to avoid damaging the pan. The transmission is very common so finding a used one will be easy even at a good price, basic rebuilds are fairly affordable just install a cooler to extend life. I am getting water under my driver carpet and am fairly certain it's gonna end up being the stupid heater core again.

Comment

thank crankshaft. I was at a pick and pull about 12 years ago. I saw a guy drop a jeep trany and transfer case and role off a make shift trany jack. That was not fun to watch and paid $400 for a weekend worrier to swap out my jeep trany and transfer case.
                      I think I found an alternative, "500KG trans adaptor". Google it and tell me what you think. Im dealing with a 4L60E and transfer case attach to it. This adaptor is looking abit on the weak side. Anyone got any pro or neg feed back on this product before I blow my hard cash on? Do get back at me.
                      Thanks

Comment

Sorry man i keep forgetting the 4x4 aspect of your truck, i remember my dad wanting to over head press a 700r4 in a skull crusher motion while laying on my back and cursing me out because i couldnt do this feat under a 1500 Silverado on jack stands. Sorry i cant help you with that item as all i have used was my dads make shift trans jack and an actual trans jack he bought later, scour facebook marketplace and offerup for a tranny jack bro as sometimes shops close etc. and people are giving them away.

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I totally forgot about those apps. Offer up and letgo. I will check them out.
                          Anyone else got any feed back on trans adapter?
                          Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X