Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate OEM brake upgrade compilation thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RL calipers are new thing.
    COUPE K24

Comment

your brake bias moves way up front though
      blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

Does anyone know of any rear brake upgrades or different brake setup?

Comment

Honda Pilot brakes. Fastbrakes offers a kit, but it's like 3 bills.
          http://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p/...0rear%2012.htm

If you can get hold of Paul (NVA-AV6 on some Accord forums), he can make you a bracket and you can get the rotors by themselves if you are 5-lug.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

That's actually really cool. Do you know what generation Pilot though? 1st or 2nd gen?
            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

First gen. 90% sure of that.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

So technically i could use the 98,99 3.0 cL knuckle,hub,rotors,caliper, and bracket right?

Comment

Can we get a correction here? Based off my research, '98-'99 CL3.0 have 23mm-thick front rotors, similar if not identical to the Prelude VTEC rotors. '97 models still have 25mm rotors like the '90-'97 Accord wagons and '95-'97 Accord V6, but is also HOR.

Sources: 3.0CL '98spec front Centric C-TEK standard rotor: here
                  Catalog entries: here

3.0CL '97spec front Centric Premium rotor: here
                  Catalog: here
                  Last edited by willbill642; 03-24-2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

When I made this thread it had been a while since I had actually held a '98-'99 3.0CL front knuckle with the rotor and caliper. I based my assumption that the rotor would be 25mm by the fact that '97 and '98 3.0CLs have the same part numbers for front calipers which include caliper brackets. As you may know, the caliper bracket is designed to compliment the thickness of the respective rotor it is paired with. If two cars have the same part number, it made sense that they would be the same. Likewise, the rotor size would also be thicker.

Also, the factory part numbers for the '98-'99 3.0CL rotor and '93-'96 Prelude Si VTEC do no match, indicating some difference there.

The answer will be in whether or not the '98-'99 3.0CL uses a 23T or 25T caliper bracket.

What's more likely to have been the case is that Centric didn't feel like making a rotor that differed very slightly from a rotor they already had that would only be used on a very obscure car.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                      When I made this thread it had been a while since I had actually held a '98-'99 3.0CL front knuckle with the rotor and caliper. I based my assumption that the rotor would be 25mm by the fact that '97 and '98 3.0CLs have the same part numbers for front calipers which include caliper brackets. As you may know, the caliper bracket is designed to compliment the thickness of the respective rotor it is paired with. If two cars have the same part number, it made sense that they would be the same. Likewise, the rotor size would also be thicker.

Also, the factory part numbers for the '98-'99 3.0CL rotor and '93-'96 Prelude Si VTEC do no match, indicating some difference there.

The answer will be in whether or not the '98-'99 3.0CL uses a 23T or 25T caliper bracket.

What's more likely to have been the case is that Centric didn't feel like making a rotor that differed very slightly from a rotor they already had that would only be used on a very obscure car.
                      So, that was my assumption. However, I have not found anyone selling '98 or '99 spec rotors in a 25mm thickness. Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, everywhere I try I find ONLY 23mm thick rotors. I want to believe that they had 25mm rotors, but I simply can't find evidence of it. Nobody sells a 25mm thick rotor for the '98-'99 CL3.0.

Oh, here's Brembo's parts catalog when I looked up the 3.0CL '98 front rotor part #:http://brembo.mycarparts.net/products/Brembo-09793220
                      Even they say 23mm thick.

EDIT: You are right, however. The caliper assembly P/N is the same as the wagon's and V6 accords:
                      P/N: 45019-SM5-000
                      honda
                      acura

I wonder why they are using the same bracket but with a 23mm rotor?
                      Last edited by willbill642; 03-24-2016, 01:37 PM.

Comment

It's probably a 25t bracket with a pad that has more material. As far as I know, all the rotors are 23mm thick.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisnick View Post
                          It's probably a 25t bracket with a pad that has more material. As far as I know, all the rotors are 23mm thick.
                          It appears to be a 25T bracket, so maybe there's something about how the brackets are designed that means a larger bracket is not an issue for smaller rotors. I wonder if I can find some diagrams of the bracket designs for 23T, 25T, and 28T, and see what is the big difference between them.

Comment

Has anyone done an RL 4 pot caliper swap? looks like the brake lines are completely different and don't use a banjo bolt but other then that it looks like using the adaptor kit would bolt right up no issues, is this right? I saw someones member ride thread awhile ago and they had bought the kit and calipers but don't think they ever updated the thread with the install or if they even did it. Does anyone have insight into this?

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                              Has anyone done an RL 4 pot caliper swap? looks like the brake lines are completely different and don't use a banjo bolt but other then that it looks like using the adaptor kit would bolt right up no issues, is this right? I saw someones member ride thread awhile ago and they had bought the kit and calipers but don't think they ever updated the thread with the install or if they even did it. Does anyone have insight into this?
                              Yes.

Check out DJ Hizzle (WerdWerx)

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=33141&page=27

Next was the brakes - 2005-2012 Acura RL Calipers - FatFour Customs Caliper Brackets - ARP extended studs (cuz my wheels wouldnt fit over the calipers) - Centric brand 2005 Nissan 350Z Brembo Edition rotors (redrilled to 4x114.3) - and some other FFC goodies came along with that order.

Comment

What I've read from multiple sources is that the FatFourCustoms brackets offset the RL Advics caliper just enough so that a 12.8", 30mm-thick 350Z Track (the one with the Brembos) rotor can be used, where as the Fastbrakes brackets can only use the non-Brembo 350Z and Nissan Maxima 12.6" rotors that are 28mm-thick. Seeing as the factory RL rotor is 28mm-thick, I'd likely stick with a setup that allowed the caliper to operate within its usual range. People use them, though.
                                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                                X