Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Auto Transmission Replacement Possible Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Transmission Replacement Possible Issues?

Hello all,

I was going to piggy back off one of my old thread's but thought it was better to start a new one.

I tried searching "f22 transmission replacement" "f22 automatic transmission" and other phrases in google on this site but could not find an answer for opinions on automatic transmission replacements.

First off, yes, I am keeping in auto. Second, I have researched hmotorsonline in general, here and other sites and it is highly recommended for their engines but I find little info on their transmissions especially when looking for someone who order ONLY the transmission.

I spoke to Steve from hmo today and he said that as long as I use the sensors and torque converter the transmission comes with, I will be fine to just hook it my future rebuilt f22a1 engine. I wanted to ask here as well to make sure.

Also, he quoted me at $475 delivered to a residence. When I told my mechanic the price he said that was too low and was worried there might be issues which got me worrying, although again, I have heard nothing but good things about ENGINES from them. A local shop (210jdm in SA,TX) has similar tranny's, I think a f20b or something, for around $700-$800 so it also had me worried.

In summary: Will I need anything else if I order this tranny online? Are there things I will need to replace on it similar to parts that require replacement for hmo's engine warranty? What things could possibly be wrong with the tranny? I've read that since these are older, they could have been sitting for awhile but what do I need to look out for or should I even be concerened?

Should I bypass hmo and just go for a rebuilt tranny from a shop? My mechanic will help me rebuild the engine but I don't think we are up to rebuild the tranny as well. I'd rather buy something ready to go and focus on the engine. Local shops I'm sure would be more expensive but if issues come up they should be easier to address locally.

Thanks for all the help.

I want to pull the trigger soon and hate to waste anyone's time. Steve seemed like a nice enough guy but also got a little short when I started asking a million questions, lol. I don't blame him as I'm sure this is the billionth time he's run into it.

The mechanic down the street from me told me something similar regarding the transmission for my wife's Hyundai. He could not believe that I could get it for only $300 AND with less than 40k miles. I got that transmission and went to a shop that always was messing around with civics, they charged me $200 for installation. That was 4 years ago and I have not had one issue with it.

Some shops/mechanics are not pleased with using customer supplied parts. Check around with different people.
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
      The mechanic down the street from me told me something similar regarding the transmission for my wife's Hyundai. He could not believe that I could get it for only $300 AND with less than 40k miles. I got that transmission and went to a shop that always was messing around with civics, they charged me $200 for installation. That was 4 years ago and I have not had one issue with it.

Some shops/mechanics are not pleased with using customer supplied parts. Check around with different people.
      Was it an automatic transmission? Did you buy it online? Was it a JDM matched up to your wife's USDM and was there anything you had to switch out on it before installing so it would match up or work right?

I think price is obscuring views as well. I've never shopped for a transmission before, so I didn't know what to expect. I thought $475 was a lot, but what do I know...

Comment

I would trust Steve. He's been nothing but trustworthy for anyone I've known to deal with him over the past 11 years (back when I got my engine and transmission from him... the engine and transmission that are still running in my car.)

That price is actually probably on the high side for a used transmission.

Getting a fully rebuilt transmission would probably be better, since it'll be brand new. Brand new > quality used. Assuming, of course, that it's built with quality components by a skilled technician.

Comment

PM me. I have an F22 transmission that's been sitting in my garage that I don't need. It's 176k on it but my mechanic said it was a healthy transmission and I don't need it. At all.

Comment

Edit: whoops. I meant to say this to deever. Didn't see the other post pop up while typing:

Ok. I will go ahead and do that. Based on recommendations here, including yours, it seems like the way to go or to at least give it a shot. I will be contacting Steve today to order it and finally get this project started. Thanks again.

Also interested to see what warranty there is on transmissions only as the website only has the engine warranty info. I'll post back here with what I find.
            Last edited by mrstix; 04-10-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrstix View Post
              Was it an automatic transmission? Did you buy it online? Was it a JDM matched up to your wife's USDM and was there anything you had to switch out on it before installing so it would match up or work right?

I think price is obscuring views as well. I've never shopped for a transmission before, so I didn't know what to expect. I thought $475 was a lot, but what do I know...
              mine was KDM (korean) and it went into the car 1-2-3-Done

but I would listen to Deev and ThatOneAccord, they are on the money
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I just completed my order with Steve. He said it would take about 2 weeks for it to come in which is ok with me. He said he would recommend to replace the axle seals and to make sure I fill it with original Honda ATF oil.

He also said to check my speed sensor and look at my power steering. Supposedly, if there is a return line from the power steering to the speed sensor then I need to use my existing speed sensor. If there is not,then I need to use the one the new tranny comes with.

And I found that the tranny comes with a 30 day warranty and must be installed within 30 days. I don't know if I will be able to do it in that time seeing as the engine will be in the middle of a rebuild. I don't know how long that stuff takes but I would imagine it would take quite a while as it is my first attempt, although I am doing it with the help of my mechanic Uncle.

Does all that sound right?

Comment

Working...
                X