Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's time for some changes around here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to bring back an old thread from the dead but it's going to be difficult to get this "community" back to the way it was a couple years ago. As some of you have said, the site is much bigger than before now so you have a much broader audience. It's sad to say but it doesn't look like this chassis has really been taken to the next level either because it still remains an entry level chassis for young kids to build. These are often times the first cars younger enthusiasts own so they won't have the resources or experience to really put out a good build. That was the case even back years ago and it is even more evident now because the spectrum has changed. Today, kids are all about stance this and that, and simply acquiring the looks without working hard to get the right parts. Short-cuts are being taken because all kids really care about is whatever is trendy or popular at the time. Once they fuck these cars up, they throw them away and cast them aside because they are able to get another, more popular chassis to work on (and subsequently fuck up). The sad reality is that this community will never grow because it is hard to maintain a stable group of CB enthusiasts who are willing to stick around.

You're not going to have loyalty and dedication when you constantly have an influx of immature kids who have no passion for what they are working on. I respect those of you who have stuck around but don't expect there to be a sudden shift in a positive direction. There just isn't enough aftermarket support to push this chassis forward. I hate to admit it but this chassis has peaked a couple years back. When we were heavily modifying CB7s they were dark horses of the community. The people that built them didn't care that they weren't popular and had no support, they thrived on it. Guys like USC set the standard because they were willing to step out there and do something that people hadn't seen before. The motivation and drive was there. Now there are more people entering the CB community with no aspirations to build to that caliber that we strived for in the mid 2000s. It's cool that some of you stuck around but I feel for you guys because things haven't changed for the better. You see a lot of negativity and bullshit being spewed because that's how the new generation sees things. It's cool to be the guy that talks shit, it's cool to be the guy who trolls. Everybody has an opinion but many haven't done shit to validate that opinion. Everyone always has to state their opinion because they think they are relevant and if you don't agree, you are a "hater". Internet forums and social media has taught the younger crowd to talk this way because it's accepted. Your best bet is to try to get rid of these people or to stay off the forums completely. Things weren't always the best for me here either but I have no regrets about it. I lived, I learned, I built an Accord that still comes up in conversation every now and then. I can't complain. I'd do it all over again without hesitation. I notice I still have some other CB guys following me around on various sites and it's cool to see some of the Socal CBs still floating around even though I didn't exactly end things on good terms with many of them, haha. Such is life guys.

Many of you who are reading this don't know me and probably don't give a shit about what I have to say and that's fine. Just some food for thought from a guy who was here a long time ago. I merely jumped on here because I saw a PM notification. Apparently I still get those here, haha.

Hope all you older guys are still carrying that torch. I'd still build another CB if I had the opportunity to. Good luck everyone. Back to non existence for me!...
    Last edited by StickyDilJoe; 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM.
    www.stickydiljoe.com

Comment

Originally posted by StickyDilJoe View Post
      Sorry to bring back an old thread from the dead but it's going to be difficult to get this "community" back to the way it was a couple years ago. As some of you have said, the site is much bigger than before now so you have a much broader audience. It's sad to say but it doesn't look like this chassis has really been taken to the next level either because it still remains an entry level chassis for young kids to build. These are often times the first cars younger enthusiasts own so they won't have the resources or experience to really put out a good build. That was the case even back years ago and it is even more evident now because the spectrum has changed. Today, kids are all about stance this and that, and simply acquiring the looks without working hard to get the right parts. Short-cuts are being taken because all kids really care about is whatever is trendy or popular at the time. Once they fuck these cars up, they throw them away and cast them aside because they are able to get another, more popular chassis to work on (and subsequently fuck up). The sad reality is that this community will never grow because it is hard to maintain a stable group of CB enthusiasts who are willing to stick around.

You're not going to have loyalty and dedication when you constantly have an influx of immature kids who have no passion for what they are working on. I respect those of you who have stuck around but don't expect there to be a sudden shift in a positive direction. There just isn't enough aftermarket support to push this chassis forward. I hate to admit it but this chassis has peaked a couple years back. When we were heavily modifying CB7s they were dark horses of the community. The people that built them didn't care that they weren't popular and had no support, they thrived on it. Guys like USC set the standard because they were willing to step out there and do something that people hadn't seen before. The motivation and drive was there. Now there are more people entering the CB community with no aspirations to build to that caliber that we strived for in the mid 2000s. It's cool that some of you stuck around but I feel for you guys because things haven't changed for the better. You see a lot of negativity and bullshit being spewed because that's how the new generation sees things. It's cool to be the guy that talks shit, it's cool to be the guy who trolls. Everybody has an opinion but many haven't done shit to validate that opinion. Everyone always has to state their opinion because they think they are relevant and if you don't agree, you are a "hater". Internet forums and social media has taught the younger crowd to talk this way because it's accepted. Your best bet is to try to get rid of these people or to stay off the forums completely. Things weren't always the best for me here either but I have no regrets about it. I lived, I learned, I built an Accord that still comes up in conversation every now and then. I can't complain. I'd do it all over again without hesitation. I notice I still have some other CB guys following me around on various sites and it's cool to see some of the Socal CBs still floating around even though I didn't exactly end things on good terms with many of them, haha. Such is life guys.

Many of you who are reading this don't know me and probably don't give a shit about what I have to say and that's fine. Just some food for thought from a guy who was here a long time ago. I merely jumped on here because I saw a PM notification. Apparently I still get those here, haha.

Hope all you older guys are still carrying that torch. I'd still build another CB if I had the opportunity to. Good luck everyone. Back to non existence for me!...
      Holy batshit catman!

Haven't seen a post from you in fucking ages.

As much as I hate to admit it, your entirely correct.

You guys were doing it for different reasons entirely back then and were relentless.

Now everyone just comes here to be coddled and bitches at us when we won't or can't help them.

It sucks because I saw the glimmer when I signed up.

What was left, slowly faded.

Just wish I could have come around a few years earlier.

Comment

What grind my gears is when you help a new member out or any member in a thread and it goes dead for days and weeks. You know how about hey that idea didn't help or hey I did what you told me to and it works. Maybe that is why I stopped coming here for years. I remember when we were under 1500 members how close we were and no one came and gave anyone sh#t. We helped each other out and it we was family. Cb7tuner to me was not only a place for Honda Accord enthusiast, but a place for people to open up and hang around. Now days its full of bs and asshats.

Sure, I didn't do much or contributed. But I tried my best to learn and help. Now I just come for the off-topic lounge,
        "form follows function."
        Louis Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by Chan_Man View Post
          What grind my gears is when you help a new member out or any member in a thread and it goes dead for days and weeks. You know how about hey that idea didn't help or hey I did what you told me to and it works.

Glad i'm not the only one that finds that annoying.

Comment

I am sorry I havent seen this thread until now.....

upon stumbling onto this forum monthes ago I quickly realized that "GOOGLE IT" or "SEARCH IT" was the cb7 community's motto, or catch prhase if you will. pissed me off something serious. wondered how hard it is to give a little effort to helping vs. being a real son-of-a-bitch.

I then realized that I couldnt help other members from my limited bank of cb knowledge because I didnt have 30 posts. I got to my 30 posts and then the site crashed and I went back to zero. This took my ability to post anywhwere away again. Not that big of a deal, right? cool. I start posting random shit so i can get my post count up so I could go back to helping people.....I like helping people, especially on a site where most people lived by that motto mentioned earlier.

when I started doing that I was threatened to be banned by an over zealous asshole-of-a-mod....so I addressed it with "higher" power. I was told then that threats werent acceptable and that if I didnt like it I could leave and not come back.

I didnt leave. Im no quitter. I love to help people. I stayed, payed my timely dues and will stay for quite a while.

the point?......I am tremendously glad that deev has seen the error of his ways, the moderators ways and the "oldschool" members ways....

hopefully everyone follows suit.....this is a cool site, would hate to see it crumble.

ps: I would have never made a thread about this. i am glad deev did so I could express my views without sounding like a moaning ass bitch
            SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192457

Comment

It's about time!
              I see a few times were newbie ask something simple and others just gain on him/her but I am no mod and didn't want to get involved though I wish I had the power to shut them up.
              And deev was right, everyone was there once asking/thinking of the same thing as newbie/owner.

I may have no more cb but I love this forum and always coming back once in awhile... As for other forums, I don't even show up there anymore just because I don't have that particular car.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Yea but let's be honest here, I would say 50% of the newer members don't stay long. They come on here and ask a question that has been covered already just a few days earlier, get their answer, and thats the last we hear of them. I'd say there is only around 100 truly active members anymore. Although thats just based on the areas I browse through and/or comment in.

I suppose there is no way to trim down the inactive members is there? Like those that have not been on in over 5 years, be able to delete their names. Not like it matters but I see 30k+ members on the home page and know thats no where near accurate.

After re-reading my post I realized that there is no valid material to it that would make the site better, but since I typed it I might as well post it.

Comment

Just curious here but does anyone think that the attitude of the forum has changed over the last few months since this thread was created?

I figured its been a while since this thread was made and posted in so why not ask. It seems like it was important to the people who posted here a few months ago. Again, just wondering what was decided with this and where it went into action.

Comment

Yeah. I've noticed nicer comments and better ways of telling new guys to use the search button. I haven't needed any help recently but I won't hesitate to ask in a proper manner.
                    10th Anniversary Accord.
                    05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

To me it feels like the "go search noob" shit has slowed down a lot and the overall negative bullshit has toned down quite a bit.

Theres still a fair share of BS flying around, but I do think its moving in the right direction.

Now we just need to get people back on the wagon of making threads showing work done and DIY shit and being willing to put their ideas out there. Now that the negative BS has died down, hopefully people will start posting shit they are doing again.
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

This is funny. I just got 100% done with my pt after my cancer scare. I wasn't even up for getting on my favorite site. Now that I feel normal I get back on and within seconds I see only. 4 members that I knew from earlier and all these new kids are talking like they owned the site their selves. And then I see this thread today it makes me feel better. I love the way it used to be. And I hope it gets back to that.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                          To me it feels like the "go search noob" shit has slowed down a lot and the overall negative bullshit has toned down quite a bit.

Theres still a fair share of BS flying around, but I do think its moving in the right direction.

Now we just need to get people back on the wagon of making threads showing work done and DIY shit and being willing to put their ideas out there. Now that the negative BS has died down, hopefully people will start posting shit they are doing again.
                          You're still here

Honestly, the creativity is at a high point now... more so than it has been for a LONG time. PT3/PT6 tuning projects, supercharged CB7 (with a compound setup in the works from another member), a RWD RB25 powered CB7 (something often dreamed about... and although Mike's progress is slow, it's WAY more progress than anyone else has made on here!)
                          Many of the more basic DIY stuff has been done already, and documented. Not much new to do, though much of the old stuff could be improved upon, especially those things with broken image links.
                          LadyG made an axle DIY as one of her earliest posts on this forum, and that has earned her a lot of respect here. Certainly from me. Not because she's a girl that gets her hands dirty, but because she provided a very high quality DIY that has proved useful for many members since its creation. I'm sure we've had numerous other DIYs, but if I ever need a refresher on how to change an axle, it's HER DIY that I'm going to be looking for! That sort of thing... yes, we need more of that.

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
                          This is funny. I just got 100% done with my pt after my cancer scare. I wasn't even up for getting on my favorite site. Now that I feel normal I get back on and within seconds I see only. 4 members that I knew from earlier and all these new kids are talking like they owned the site their selves. And then I see this thread today it makes me feel better. I love the way it used to be. And I hope it gets back to that.
                          Glad to hear you're doing better, man!
                          It's funny... you joined in 2010. Things were already on the decline at that time. We're HOPEFULLY a bit more on the upswing now. The CB chassis is getting older. Harder to find in a condition worth modifying. We're fortunate to still have a semi-decent aftermarket to play with, so we're in a good spot right now.

Believe it or not, I'm making MORE of an effort to be harsh on the new members for things like manners/respect, clear communication (grammar, punctuation, spelling), and general effort in their posts (as in, not asking to be spoon fed.) It comes off as very "dickish", but I have my reasons. I expect those people to either learn right away, or leave right away. In the end, we may have a smaller community, but it'll be a community largely made up of respectful people that can communicate effectively. Such a community will stimulate its own growth, rather than drive off all the intelligent members, leaving us with nothing but self-entitled hoodrats that "dun hav 2 tipe gud cuz dis aint skool yo"

That is, of course, a double-edged sword. The "good" members see me taking off the kid gloves with the noobies, and they start emulating me. I think that was largely the cause of the overall decline in the atmosphere before... I set an example (due to being grumpy, tired, overworked, and in a generally bad place in my life), and others followed my lead.
                          Now, I've learned that I need to keep the other members in check while I'm showing tough love to the noobs. Many of you may have gotten a stern word from me saying something along the lines of "leave the moderating to the staff"... and I don't mean that to be disrespectful... I'm just trying to prevent the avalanche before it happens!
                          If someone is out of hand, notify an active moderator, or notify me. Chances are, we've already noticed... because we're awesome like that... but if not, just get us on it. We don't want to have to start banning good members because they cross the line trying to "educate" a noob in the ways of this site.

The staff has a method. We're all on the same page. The staff members I have chosen have been chosen because they get it. We're not perfect, but we're making things work OUR way. Just sit back and enjoy the site. Let us do our jobs. Feel free to make some popcorn when we decide to make a show of it.

Comment

Sheet..............I do love some popcorn.

No I remember last year you were working 65+ hours a week. You sure were scary.

Minus a few kids with a few hundred posts within a few months thinking they are untouchable by deevs ban stick. I've seen a bit more respect just within the last two days

Comment

My problem right now is my CB is a banged up wagon that has a lot of life in it but too much work to really make it nice. I have been contemplating rat rodding it but honestly as long as she runs good I am happy with her.

Back when I first joined there were a lot of people really pushing to bring us all closer together. I was at one of the first CB7Tuner meets in Orlando with my first 4 door and it felt nice to be a part of something. Everyone was sharing ideas and not bashing each other over their choices.

On an off note I wish I had never gotten rid of my first 4 door. I know I built her good because she is still running hard 6 years later on the same F22B DOHC with all the parts I put on her 6 years ago. From what I know it has changed hands 5 times since then and even ended up in a Police Impound after someone outran the local cops and dumped her on the side of the road. Lucky it didn't get crushed. I have considered trying to buy her back when I get income taxes this year if I can catch up to the guy that has her.

Comment

Minus a few kids with a few hundred posts within a few months thinking they are untouchable by deevs ban stick. I've seen a bit more respect just within the last two days
                                I fit this description I think, minus the untouchability obviously, . You said this not too long ago:
                                I like this kid
                                Should I be taking note of Deev's ban stick, or do you really like me?

Comment

Working...
                                X