Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I might need to buy another car for a work commute. Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might need to buy another car for a work commute. Ideas?

I may be getting a job that has an hour-long commute, mostly highway. My current cars aren't great for the job. The CTS-V gets 16mpg, and may start giving me mechanical troubles if it starts seeing heavy use (it IS a 11 year old GM product, after all!) The Miata is a little scary on the highway, and I'd honestly be terrified trying to navigate rush hour traffic in that thing. Especially with the crazy roads and crazier drivers we have around here!

That means, pending my wife's approval, that I may need a third car for my commute should I get this job. Paying extra insurance, registration, and upkeep costs will be a pain... but I feel this job is worth it, and my current cars are worth not destroying.

The logical choice, of course, is a CB7. I know CB7s better than any other car, and I have one hell of a resource on here for diagnosing, repairing, and finding the best parts. That's pretty much the no-brainer answer.

However, since CB7s tend to hold their value quite well, and they also often end up beat to crap or modified by stupid kids, it's hard to find a good one. Awful examples seem to sell for twice their worth around here!
    That leaves me looking into other models, just in case I can't find a good CB7. That's where I need some suggestions!

-It has to be 1995 or older, so I don't have to get it inspected.
    -I'd like it to be fun to drive. Not absolutely necessary, but if I'm going to spend up to 10 hours a week behind the wheel of the thing, I should probably like it!
    -Manual is preferred, but auto isn't totally out of the question.
    -Reliable is important, especially since I'll be looking for the cheapest thing I can get myself into!
    -I'm looking to get as close to (or over) 30mpg.
    -Repairs should be fairly straightforward and inexpensive.

Shoot me some ideas so I can fire up Craigslist and see what I've got going in my area! I want to narrow things down, and rule out bad ideas (like a Volvo 240... I REALLY want one, but they barely get 20mpg.)

Acura legend or vigor of any interest? Those are the only ones I can think of that would be comfortable for an hour commute.

Comment

I hadn't thought of those! Probably not fuel efficient enough, and probably too expensive to fix (I haven't seen a Vigor in AGES...)
      I'll have to see how efficient they can be. They'd definitely be comfortable and fun to drive.

Yeah, they're between 19 and 27 mpg. Not terrible, but a little low for my needs (being stuck in traffic would bring that closer to the low end of the range.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        I hadn't thought of those! Probably not fuel efficient enough, and probably too expensive to fix (I haven't seen a Vigor in AGES...)
        I'll have to see how efficient they can be. They'd definitely be comfortable and fun to drive.

Yeah, they're between 19 and 27 mpg. Not terrible, but a little low for my needs (being stuck in traffic would bring that closer to the low end of the range.)
        Pretty much everything we sugested to our other comrad; You suggested a Fit, some of us a Corolla or the way cheaper Vibe which is a Pontiac badged Matrix. My sister in law just got a 11 civic with 80k for $6000.
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I'm trying to stay under 1995 for inspection reasons, though. Since I'll be buying something as cheap as possible, I don't want to deal with potential emissions issues that will require expensive and immediate repair (driving around with a failed or expired inspection sticker is a good way to get pulled over!) I'm looking for under $1000 for boring transportation. Maybe up to $2000 for something that's actually interesting.

Corolla might not be a bad idea. Efficient, cheap, reliable. But SO damn boring! Of course, that would reduce the urge to modify it. IMO, there's pretty much nothing that can be done to a FWD Corolla (short of the AE92) that makes it worth modifying!

I just looked into diesel Volvos. They might be on the table, if they're reliable and efficient enough.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            I just looked into diesel Volvos. They might be on the table, if they're reliable and efficient enough.
            LOL the only place Volvo and reliable coexist is in the dictionary
            My Collection:
            93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
            00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
            04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

No way! Volvos (old, boxy Volvos... not the Ford-era crap) are rock solid! The diesels are VW-made, so that may not be the case there... but an old 240 will literally run forever. I had a 940 with 200k miles on it, and aside from a small oil leak and a transmission hiccup (stupid auto) it was damn near perfect. 15 years old (at the time) and it was in WAY better shape than my CB7 was when I got it (6 years earlier, with half the miles.)

Comment

I looked into a Ford Ranger out of curiosity. Apparently those suckers get 23-28mpg!
                At the moment, the CB9 and Ranger are highest on my list. As is the 94-95 Mazda B-Series pickup (because it's basically a Ranger... and I like Mazda. )

Comment

Old VW diesels are tanks. The problems are with leaking injection pumps. The diesel rabbits got around 50mpg. Slow as shit, but solid.

Comment

I did find a diesel VW Rabbit pickup for sale near Charlottesville, VA (where my mother in law lives) for like $1500. It was tempting!

Comment

What about a d21? I'm seriously considering getting a mini truck myself after I move.

Comment

I hadn't really considered one, but the mpg seems to be on par with the Ranger and Toyota truck (also a possibility, though the Toyotas are rusty and have potentially fatal engine flaws.)

A few people are doing a good job of talking me into a CB9, though. With CB7tuner as a resource for finding, fixing, and maintaining a CB, it almost seems silly to get anything else! Not to mention the fact that I already know and like the CB.

Comment

I drove a 2.3 ranger when I used to do hotshot parts delivery, I don't care what mathematical equation people use to try and convince me how great those things are supposed to be it was the biggest piece of crap I have ever driven. If it's American it has to have a V8 for it to work like its supposed to, I also owned a 740 GLE and vowed to never get one again; as you mentioned gas mileage is bad, parts were expensive and it was slower than a 🐌. Now that I think about it a Festiva might do too, just beware of small frontal collisions that make them catch on fire due to battery rupture.
                          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Yeah, Rangers seem to be pretty polarizing... people either swear by them or despise them. Few people seem to be indifferent if they have any experience at all!

I had a 940 GL. I agree it was insanely slow (nearly got rear-ended when test driving it), and parts weren't cheap. The thing was built SO well, though!

Festivas scare me. Though aren't those the Euro models that managed to make it to our shores? The last Festiva I saw was driven by the diswasher at the last restaurant I worked at (and he carried 4 other guys in it... )

I've got this same discussion going on the CB7tuner.com facebook page, and the push to get a CB9 is strong!

Comment

I'd vote either a CB7/9 or a Legend, you can get a 5 or 6 speed manual and get 28ish miles to the gallon. A bit comfier than the CB, and the coupes still look fantastic to this day.
                              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Working...
                              X