Buying your mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying your mods

I no longer own a CB BUT, still own two older civics. And was curious... Do you guys plan your mods? And how do you save for each or do you save to buy them all at once? OR how many of you guys and gals buy based on impulse and never really keep track?

Asking because I often get shit from buddies who aren't "car guys" for spending money on an old car. Its not like I don't save, but still doesn't always work as an argument...

life is good.

i do them as i come across them, or shit needs to be replaced so why not upgrade.
    COUPE K24

Comment

Save & buy one at a time - repeat.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
      1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
      2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
      2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
      2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
      2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Somewhat planned. Some impulse when I can't pass up a deal.

1999 BMW M3
        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

i usually have a plan in mind, with my eyes open for opportunities to jump on good deals that are in line with my goals for it. i tend to sit and collect parts for a long time, then do everything in one whole shot, instead of adding mods one at a time. trying to buy everything at once, ull be stuck paying retail for most items. careful buying over a period of time ends up being way more affordable.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Agreed Mike! Sometimes it's hard though, when the outlook of doing everything all at once and rolling that beast outta the shop for the first time all buttoned up gets your hopes up high. What I do is save for each, & do one at a time, and ONLY if I know I can afford it for the month. Lately haven't been doing much; bills come first.

life is good.

Comment

when something breaks and i have the cash to upgrade, then ill upgrade. if not then no.

most recently my stock intake tubing in my protege went missing. god knows how or why since i dont pop the hood unless im doing an oil change so i went and bought a short ram for the time being. the only planned thing i ever bought was the mazdaspeed axleback. dont plan on doing anything else to this slow piece of junk

no
              Accord turbo kit under $2k here
              $30 HID kits here Thread
              "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
              "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

I have a general idea of what I want to do, so I go after my planned ideas first. When impulse deals and offers come up, I usually take them, and use it either as a stepping stone to get to my desired goal, or just leave it as good enough.

I don't have a lot of money to play with, and I definetly cannot afford to build the CB of my dreams, but I can try my best with what I have to work with.

Comment

i do everything at once and upgrade later. my honda, i did everything like 3 times because i was cheap and didnt learn.

tired of working on cars...so id rather do it once and be done with it.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I have my entire build pretty well planned out, it's all very thorough. The trouble is I could easily have spent 30 grand on my CB by the time it's done and I sure as hell won't have that kind of money in the foreseeable future. Really though, it depends on how much I can save up within a certain amount of time. For instance: I was going to do springs and shocks at once, so I got the springs then something came up and I couldn't get the shocks right away as planned. So I put the springs on the stock shocks (they're compatible). Now I've got things that really need attention before I can justify putting money towards shocks, which has turned into "why not upgrade," so now the shocks are pushed way the hell back while I get some tough brake parts and premium tires.

I have a savings account that automatically transfers one dollar every time I swipe my debit card (which I use for EVERYTHING, carrying cash/change is annoying and I don't believe in credit cards), plus I try to transfer even more funds whenever possible. It's been incredibly helpful, and kinda funny when I discover I have a nice chunk of money that easily goes ignored and unspent over time - I see that my primary account is low, so I don't spend as needlessly as I used to.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

most my money all comes from ecu sales, so the majority of my parts happen by trade of the car world.
                      If I sell something I can buy something.
                      MadLab Racing
                      Southern Maryland

Comment

Without a plan, performance modifications can be far less effective, and appearance modifications can lack coherence. I always have a plan. It can change from time to time, but whenever the next step hinges on the last, I don't begin anything until I know what I'm doing the whole way through.

For example, I'd never buy a $1000 header unless I knew for sure I didn't want to go turbo. I'd never buy a $100 header because they have nothing to offer. I guess expensive parts are harder to buy on impulse.

I've gotten quite a few parts in trade, though...

Comment

Well right now I'm upgrading my truck to fuel injection and a new cam and more durable timing chain set, the old cam and original timing chain were way worn out, and the carburetor is a bear to deal with. The old timing chain was so worn that the truck would stumble when you floored it because the cam would retard.

Many of my upgrades are done when the original parts are worn out and need replacing. I upgraded the exhaust on the Accord when it rusted out. HIDs and projectors when I got tired of burning out halogens (Well maybe that was excessive, but I work at night and use my headlights 50% of my driving time). Poly bushings and new lowering springs when the originals wore out. You get the idea
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

With my coupe I had the mindset that I want it to look stock, but modded with OEM parts. Interior swap, lowered, wheels & stereo.

I'm pretty much complete. Needs a drop, and then I can start working on little things like some bodywork and paint after I decide on a trunk/spoiler/tail light combo.

Comment

I usually just buy upgrades when parts need to be replaced. Also I always go for what I need first. I know people who's ball joints a banging but instead they buy visual upgrades and drive everyday. People like that piss me off. Do you really think Amber corner lights are going to save you when your ball joint completely rips apart and your wheel pretty much falls off?

Comment

Working...
                              X