Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap, fun, disposable car... what would you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap, fun, disposable car... what would you get?

I was thinking about this the other day, and it came up in conversation with a friend yesterday... so I figured I'd pose the question to everyone.

If you could just buy a cheap old car to drive around for a short time, what would it be? Something that costs, say, under $2000. Something that you do not plan on modifying. Something that you do not plan on owning for more than a few months. You buy it, you drive it, you have your fun in it, and you either sell it off or scrap it.

What would you choose?

I think my choice would be a 1st gen MR2. Small, mid-engine, RWD... I've never driven one, but they look like so much fun to just toss around.

(I'd never find one that looked that nice for under $2000, but still... )

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day, and it came up in conversation with a friend yesterday... so I figured I'd pose the question to everyone.

If you could just buy a cheap old car to drive around for a short time, what would it be? Something that costs, say, under $2000. Something that you do not plan on modifying. Something that you do not plan on owning for more than a few months. You buy it, you drive it, you have your fun in it, and you either sell it off or scrap it.

What would you choose?

I think my choice would be a 1st gen MR2. Small, mid-engine, RWD... I've never driven one, but they look like so much fun to just toss around.
    (I'd never find one that looked that nice for under $2000, but still... )
    just gotta worry about fitting in it lol.

for me, 240sx, z31 300zx, 280zx, 280z (nissans), 98-01 impreza (subie), mkIII supra (toyota), all come to mind as cars you can get in meh - decent shape for under 2000 and throw around

Comment

Suzuki Samurai or Dodge Raider.

Everyone knows what a Samurai looks like, here's the Raider:

Very similar design. Definitely wouldn't DD one, but it'd be fun as hell to romping through the woods and fields in one.

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Anything RWD. Preferably something with a bit of ground clearance, as it will be making friends with all the curbs.
        Maybe a truck or a jeep? If I'm not holding onto it and can buy it in good condition I wouldn't have a problem with them. Hopefully the good initial condition would hold out long enough until I get rid of it.
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Prelude. Unless you could find an old starion or daytona. Maybe a dodge shadow turbo too. Depends on what's available honestly.

I'm eyeballing a 5 spd, 99 civic ex right now for a potential project. Price is right, good candidate for turbo build.

1900 bux with 144k miles, no leaks/burns/mods. All original and Honda maintained.
          Originally posted by wed3k
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

An 87 Dodge Shadow turbo was my first car! I had no understanding of what turbo was...

I saw a video once of a Dodge Raider with a 2JZ-GTE swap...

Comment

This is a hard one. I say this because for me I will end up getting attached to the car keep it and start modding it.But I think I will get the mid to late 80s volvo 240 coupe, sedan, or wagon. But most likely it will be either an MK2 Golf or Jetta.

Comment

E34 or E36 BMW

Last edited by Gemini; 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM.
                1993 Accord LX - Sold
                93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Closer to $3,000, but I'd go for an SW20 MR-2 or first-gen MX-5. I want to experience owning them both before I die. I'm with apex on getting attached to them though .

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Yeah, I know I'd get attached...

Comment

I'd probably get an older Toyota or Nissan 4x4 pickup (Probably Nissan because the yotas hold their value too well) and then proceed to drive it over and through all sorts of things and places that I probably shouldn't.

Comment

I would get either a cutlass or any mid 80s cadillacs

CALI LIFE STYLE
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=145883

Comment

On second thought, I'd probably look at an ex-police Crown Vic.

Thrash it around to within an inch of its life, maybe catch some air, then sell it off to a taxi driver after a couple months.

Oh, and I'd probably put a roof rack on it so people get out of my way when they see me flying down the street.

Comment

I've thought about this too for a bit and if I could I would find a 240sx. I've wanted to experience rear wheel drive for a while now and it be a good car to do a little drifting in.

Comment

Either a 1996 Chevy Beretta Z26:

or a 1996 Ford Probe GT:

The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                              X