Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Starts but sputters (diesels) out quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starts but sputters (diesels) out quickly

PROBLEM RESOLVED! THREAD DEAD

OK cb7tuners, please please please help me with my situation. This started 4 days ago before I went to work, car ran fine the day before than the next morning I went out to go to work and the car started up fine, idled for about 2 minutes then died (sputtered and/or dieseled out). after that it would only fire for about 1-5 seconds then sputter out again. almost like its misfiring, the engine shakes violently and throws the whole car around a little bit. every time it sputters out the engine shakes quite a bit. It has not thrown ANY check engine light codes during this entire process. (as far as I know, the CEL still works, it has told when shit went askew before)

SO, over the last 4 days I have gone through the entire air intake/fuel intake system. I have installed multiple new (junk yard) MAP sensors, I took apart and cleaned both my IACV and my FICV valves, the fuel filter is only 1 year old, and today I took apart my dizzy (only 14 months old) and it was filled with that red dust and abnormal wear marks on the cap. So I replaced the refurbished autozone dizzy with a brand new O'reileys distributor. Still, my car starts up, idles for 10-15 seconds and then quickly sputters (or diesels) out. the longest I have gotten my car to idle for is maybe 20 seconds. After I replaced the distributor with a brand new one, the car fired up and idled (idled very well, for about 20-25 seconds, no shaking) but then, it quickly sputtered out. I can hear the fuel pump power up, and prime the system. but is it possible that the pump is in the middle of failing and is not pumping at max capacity? once the car turns over and fires up the pump cant keep up with the demand of the open fuel system?

SO, whenever I do get the car to fire up and idle (idle for a short time). As soon as I give it any throttle at all, the car will die immediately. and I mean IMMEDIATELY. as if it calls for fuel but it cant meet the demand and so it sputters and dies out. I also replaced the plugs on Saturday just for the hell of it because they looked pitted and old (despite being only 3 months old). So as of now I am pretty stumped, any input is greatly appreciated.

and I know, SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH. But I have been meticulously searching this site for the past few days and haven't been able to find anything that describes my same situation. CB7TUNER gods and gurus, please help a brother out!! I miss driving my wagon dearly

Here she is: 93 EX, F22A6, 203,xxx miles, recent t-belt, tensioner, and water pump
    Last edited by LowWago; 04-15-2014, 11:49 PM.

Right away it sounded like a fuel deliver problem. This ya sound obvious but, is there fuel in the tank? I only ask because I learned the hard way one time. If there is fuel in the tank and it is indeed getting past the filter and is coming out at the fuel rail u may move to injectors. A quick google of places in your area and u should be able to find so where that will clean them for u. Other then that knowing the pressure at the rail would be helpful for u.
    If that checks out I would look at your igniter. I don't know if u got a hole we dizzy or jus a cap but when my igniter failed it showed the same symptoms.

Comment

I replaced the entire distributor (the refurbished one I had was completely coated in that red dust and abnormal wear marks on the inside). and my fuel gage is sitting just about 'E'..the fuel light never came on while I was driving it though. I realize the fuel is low, but I wouldn't expect it to be low enough to make the car not start. and I am going to get a fuel pressure gage today, thanks for the advice man.

Comment

also, I noticed I have a strong fuel smell around the bay every time the car does fire and idle for a few seconds.

Comment

I was going to tell u check your cooling system. I had a similar problem recently. What was it?

Comment

Originally posted by LowWago View Post
            also, I noticed I have a strong fuel smell around the bay every time the car does fire and idle for a few seconds.
            This is not correct. So it sounds like your fuel is making it to the rail, and then either not getting past the injectors or the return is clogged, etc.

I would check your rail and the injectors as it sounds like they can't keep up with the flow. You could also check if the injectors are working with a stethoscope.

Comment

Working...
            X