Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Accord Dies when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accord Dies when hot

I have a 1991 honda accord EX with the f22a4. manual.

I had all sorts of issues with the car when I first got it. I replaced plugs, wires, igniter, distributor cap and button, main relay, timing belt, and a few other odds and ends.

It runs excellent until it gets super hot. Was sitting in traffic yesterday in 100+ degree weather and the engine just died multiple times. Goes from running to not instantaneously. I switch the car off and let it sit for a minute and it starts back like nothing ever happened. During that minute, it will crank (turn over) but it sounds like the ignition is not sparking.

Ideas? I have posted about this in the past but I thought it was fixed until yesterday. I still think it is the igniter. I put an off-brand in it and I maybe should have used the OEM. I am considering putting an electric fan on it or something to see if it helps..

[edit] I also replaced the ignition switch

Sounds to me like the main relay. Resolder or buy a new one.

Comment

I bought a main relay less than a year ago..

Comment

Could it possibly be vapor locking???
        My MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200048

(Turbo lag - turbo power) + HYPE = VTEC

Bought From: Davids92Accord

Sold To:

Comment

Why do so many people always bring up the main relay no matter what the problem is??? I doubt that the main relay would cause the car to die once it has been started....and I would not start replacing thing that might be the problem

Comment

The car is FI so I would assume vapor lock to not be the issue. Thanks for the input, though.. If this is common for FI vehicles let me know and I will pursue this further.

Comment

Have you had your alternater tested? I know it doesn't fit your problem description but I had some similar issues with my car and after I changed out the alternator, it solved all my issues.

Just a thought.

Comment

Is the car overheating? Have you ever noticed it getting hot wile sitting in traffic, these cars (and possibly most other electronically controlled vehicles) will shut themselves off if the temps get in the red. That happened to me once.

Also could be simple, your idle may be to low. If you've ever noticed, the engine RPMs' will dip sometimes when you release the throttle. Possibly it dips to low to remain running. Because I've had the same problem when my idle was to low, takes a couple seconds to restart the car.

How long exactly does it take to restart once it dies?

What is your idle sitting at running?

Just throwing out ideas here...

Oh and the car should already have an electric fan.
                Last edited by Cblove; 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1991redcoupe View Post
                  Why do so many people always bring up the main relay no matter what the problem is???
                  Because the main relay is a common culprit with starting problems (especially when its hot outside). It also controls the fuel pump so when its acting a fool then no telling what might happen. Its also fairly cheap and easy to replace/fix. But he replaced that already so thats probably not the issue.

Comment

If it was the main relay, your car wouldnt start. it also wouldnt be the cause of your car dying.

need to explain "car getting hot" do you mean its getting over heated? if so, you need to have the fans checked.

Also do you have any audio equipment that drains power? cause if youre rocking 2000 watts of musical heaven and not properlyu wired, that would be your cause...

Comment

Originally posted by ernestmyname View Post
                      I have a 1991 honda accord EX with the f22a4. manual.

I had all sorts of issues with the car when I first got it. I replaced plugs, wires, igniter, distributor cap and button, main relay, timing belt, and a few other odds and ends.

It runs excellent until it gets super hot. Was sitting in traffic yesterday in 100+ degree weather and the engine just died multiple times. Goes from running to not instantaneously. I switch the car off and let it sit for a minute and it starts back like nothing ever happened. During that minute, it will crank (turn over) but it sounds like the ignition is not sparking.

Ideas? I have posted about this in the past but I thought it was fixed until yesterday. I still think it is the igniter. I put an off-brand in it and I maybe should have used the OEM. I am considering putting an electric fan on it or something to see if it helps..

[edit] I also replaced the ignition switch
                      All these parts that you say you've replaced - Were they replaced with new or 2nd hand parts?

Sounds like the igniter or main relay.
                      When the problem occurs you need to check for fuel and spark to narrow down the possibilities.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Same exact symptoms on my wife's 93 LX 5 speed. I could hear main relay click and the pump running, so it wasn't the main relay. Had no spark. Ignition Control Module (ICM) in the distributor fixed it. $262 quoted from Honda. $50 lifetime warranty from AutoZone.

Oops! I reread and it says you installed an "igniter" - assuming that is the ICM, did you put the grease supplied with it between the ICM and the mounting plate?
                        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-01-2011, 08:15 PM.
                        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks for the input, everyone.. Every time the car gets super hot the same thing happens.. I really thought it was the igniter. Once I replaced it, the issue got a lot better. It went from happening every other week to every couple months. Perhaps I should have bought the OEM igniter. It could still be the issue here.. I considered trying to place a large head sink on it to see if it would help any. Every time I got an error code in the past it was something about ignition.

Overheating isn't an issue and the idle is fine. And yes, I did put thermal paste on the non-OEM igniter.And all parts were new nut none OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
                            Because the main relay is a common culprit with starting problems (especially when its hot outside). It also controls the fuel pump so when its acting a fool then no telling what might happen. Its also fairly cheap and easy to replace/fix. But he replaced that already so thats probably not the issue.
                            I had the same problem where the car would run fine in cool weather such as mornings and evenings but middle of the summer day it would sputter and die. It ended up being the main relay.
                            1993 Accord LX Coupe 5spd

Comment

Where did you get your original main relay? if i were you i would go to the junkyard and buy a few. resolder all of the points on one because i feel like that is a permanent solution. But have 1 extra just in case you mess up soldering

and what color is your interior? my new black interior gets REALLY hot and i had main relay problems

Comment

Working...
                              X