Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22a n/a build piston choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22a n/a build piston choices?

Lack thereof I think is more accurate these days. I've been scouring the interwebs, searching this and other forums, coming up pretty short. I am still in the very beginning stages of coming up with a formula, forged internals will be a must with my goals. I will be installing Darton MID sleeves, part # 400-150 and have had trouble finding pistons I want. Goals for this build will be a mostly street driven 250+ hp (hopefully close to the same torque). E85 will be utillized for this build.

I want 88 mm or larger pistons. Helpful info and suggestions are welcome.

Edit* I know there are some H22 H23 options out there but the compression height of the piston and valve clearances become an issue as I want to use the factory .026 (after crush) MLS head gasket. 1 mm over size valves will be used. A cam somewhere in the neighborhood of jdm_accorns' (mine will not be a mirror image of his but I have not got to the point of picking 1 yet) should give you a rough idea of where I'm wanting to go with this.
    Last edited by Size9zombie; 05-09-2018, 09:22 PM.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

thats a big piston!

you can call any piston manufacture for a custom piston
    arris
    wesco
    je
    cp

i just bought a set of 86 mm arris 12:1 for my build going crower stge 3 cams to...

what are you building the motor for?

what are your goals ?
    No marathon gets easier later. ...

Comment

Goals listed above, what did they cost you if you don't mind me asking? I like the look of those pistons.
      Last edited by Size9zombie; 05-09-2018, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Anyone that has had custom pistons made, what kind of rough price should I be expecting? Or I guess what I'm really asking is, are there any of the shelf choices for pistons of this size range?
        Last edited by Size9zombie; 05-09-2018, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Expect to pay around $150 per piston on a custom set. It might be better to go through a vendor to have someone that does this on a regular basis acting on your behalf with the manufacturer. English Racing, as well as hundreds of other shops all over the place perform this service.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Oh, that's not too bad.

Comment

Why would, or what benefit would it be to go thru a vendor instead of dealing directly with the manufacturer?

Comment

Originally posted by Size9zombie View Post
                Goals listed above, what did they cost you if you don't mind me asking? I like the look of those pistons.
                eBay special 200 bucks I got less then 1000 into my motor build buying everything new but second hand
                No marathon gets easier later. ...

Comment

Originally posted by Size9zombie View Post
                  Why would, or what benefit would it be to go thru a vendor instead of dealing directly with the manufacturer?
                  Unless a manufacturer has a direct to customer retail arm, vendors are usually much easier to work with. Many manufacturers won’t even do one-off things for individuals. Vendors have working relationships with manufacturers (including pre-existing accounts, batch orders, etc...). They are also accustomed to dealing with individual customers (shipping channels, customer-focused record keeping, etc...)

Basically, it’s like going to a butcher for a T-bone steak, rather than the rancher. The rancher doesn’t want to butcher the cow, pack the meat, and sell it to you. They’d rather sell you the whole cow at once. Vendors can buy the whole cow and sell you the steak. You don’t want to buy the whole cow.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Have you ever seen a custom piston order form? Go look at a PDF of one of those and tell me you don't have a single question.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Never had to order custom pistons before, but no it's standard stuff on the Wiseco form, even if you were getting off the shelf stuff, you still need to know dome volume and height, compression height, etc., etc. Or at least you SHOULD know. Not knowing the technical side of building an engine can (and a lot of times does) end in disaster. I don't claim to be an expert mathematician or a professional engine builder by any means, but I am well versed in building vehicles. People not knowing what they are doing causes my colleagues and I grief and irritation on a regular basis. Maybe I shouldn't have even asked? No need to be condescending.
                        Last edited by Size9zombie; 05-10-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I'm talking about pin offset, gas port locations, valve relief placement and volume, etc...

Comment

Yes all these and many more things will have to be taken into account. Maybe I worded this whole thing wrong, I was trying to see if anyone knew of a or more than 1 company that makes pistons of a size above 88 mm and 12:1 or more compression ratio that I could just get off the shelf to fit my needs. I didn't know getting custom pistons made was so damn cheap though, so I'll go that route instead, thanks everyone for your replies! To answer your last, I mentioned volume (+ or -) above, yes definately valve reliefs need to be taken into account (1 of the reasons I had mentioned it would be getting bigger valves), piston pin offset as it pertains to what, rod load or the rocking side to side motion of the piston? I don't plan on spinning this motor at 10,000 rpm, E85 is much less carbon producing and I hadn't really got this far into my plans yet but since you mention it, lateral porting would be a better way for me to go since it will see lots and lots of street duty and I would hate for the vertical ports to get clogged and have an issue with my rings. I am also going to have to do extensive bowl work on the head to pevent hotspots and detonation (even though much less common with E85). I might be new on this site but not to building cars, I promise. So please be respectful, I take my craft very seriously, and don't treat me like some dumbass teenager trying to "hit v-tak yo!" or race on the street with every car near me with a fart can.
                            Last edited by Size9zombie; 05-10-2018, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Funny, Wisecos pdf doesn't even mention gas porting OR pin offset now that you mention it.

Comment

Working...
                              X