av6g6 : 1999 Mazda Miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

av6g6 : 1999 Mazda Miata

So it's been a loooooong time since I've been active on here. Having recently purchased a CB9 I have also acquired a 99 Mazda Miata since being inactive here. This was purchased as my first fun car and turned into a project after getting a different daily driven car. On to the details.

Day one.

This was before the konig wheels. These are 949racing 6ul 15x9 +36 with 205/50/15

This is currently with the konigs

And the engine bay

Engine:
    Toyota 4age blacktop IRTB
    Mega squirt 3 pnp
    Flyin Miata dual feed fuel rail
    Technotoytuning IRTB velocity stacks
    Technotoytuning Miata Toyota IRTB adapter manifold
    Mild wire tuck and harness trimming
    Toyota celica gts coil on plug conversion
    Mishimoto aluminum radiator
    Misgimoto coolant hoses
    Perrin overflow coolant tank
    Mazda comp engine mounts
    Power steering deleted
    A/C deleted

Suspension/exterior:
    Flyin Miata vmaxx track pack suspension upgrade
    (Adjustable cool overs and adjustable sway bars)
    Willwood front brake upgrade
    Konig flat out wheels 15x8 +20
    Dunlop direzza 205/50/15
    HID retrofitted headlights using morimoto bicenon projectors.

Interior:
    Radio deleted
    Nardi classic steering wheel
    NRG quick release and short hub
    Last edited by dj_ender; 03-09-2015, 06:47 PM.

My 6th gen accord thread
    99 Miata

Alright, that's a first. This seems like it would be hell on wheels on the track!
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Wow, very cool!

Comment

Yes!!! I love it man! That hardtop is mean! Is this a drift build? I've always wanted to swap an ls1 in an mx5. Freaking clean build so far man, keep it up and keep us posted please.

Comment

I'm not sure a Miata is a great platform for drift. They're so balanced, it'd be hard to make them go sideways for long!

I'm looking to buy an NA Miata myself. I like the NB and NC, but I love the absurdly low curb weight of the NA

Comment

Thanks for the props everybody.

It is definitely not a drift build. Like Deev said its just not suitable for a drift car being balanced and a shorter wheelbase. My plans for this are a high revving throttle happy auto cross/street/track day car.

I've seen your posts about contemplating a Miata. A friend of mine has a 92 NA with the 1.6. While it is slower than the NB, every time I drive it, it makes me want to add an NA to the bunch. Having said that though I will probably be getting the ND that's on the way and projected to be 2200~ lbs. Deev you will not go wrong getting an NA if you're looking for pure driving enjoyment, and I'm sure you've looked enough to know the aftermarket is endless.

My 6th gen accord thread
            99 Miata

Comment

Thanks. That seems to be the universal opinion of the NA! I'm looking to get the 1.8L, which makes roughly 133hp... which is actually going to be mildly quick compared to my 117hp 2600lb Fit!
              The ND sounds really cool. I THINK I sat in one at the auto show last month (I was in a hurry, as we got there late and were trying to see everything before they locked us out.) The ND is supposed to be "underpowered", making less power than the NC... but if it's going to be returning to the NA's curb weight, that would be awesome! I'm curious to see what Fiat does with it as well, as they're building their own roadster based on the ND platform, only with Fiat engines reputed to make at least 200hp.

Have you taken it to a dyno? I'm curious to see what all that did in terms of power. Though it seems your goal was more for throttle response than overall power.

I was on the Flyin Miata website the other day. They have some really cool stuff! Do you know any details about their suspension products? Where they're made, and such? I'm so used to seeing crap suspension components these days, though that could just be due to the fact that the Honda world is inundated with total garbage. The Miata is often a more serious platform, and Flyin Miata seems to be highly respected...

Comment

Not sure on power yet. Still getting everything buttoned up.

As far as flyin Miata products, they deal lots of good parts with lots of track proven setups. The vmaxx coil overs I've actually just installed. The coo lovers are supposed to be made in the Netherlands but are built to flyin miatas desired specs. Most of the flyin Miata, 949racing, moss, and goodwin racing parts are very reputable.

My 6th gen accord thread
                99 Miata

Comment

I agree they're not the best choice for a drift car, but they do drift quite well. It's all about initial weight transfer anyway.. That being said, the AE86 had a similar wheelbase and weight ratio, and that's pretty a popular drift platform. Sorry a bit

Mazda designed it so the rear wheels DIDN'T break lose, why change that? This will make an absolutely amazing autocross build. Post numbers when you get them please!

Deev, if you do get an NA Miata, get a 94+. More displacement/power with the 1.8, and a better differential.

Comment

The AE86 wasn't a great drift car... it was just cheap! The S13 and S14 actually made fantastic drift cars. Which is good, because they weren't made all that well otherwise (not that I don't still love to see one in good shape!)

I'm planning on getting a 95-97 M Edition. Either in (for the lack of the proper paint names), dark red (95), dark blue (96), or a dusty dark green (97... not quite British Racing Green.) Manual transmission only (all M editions have a torsen LSD), peanut butter brown leather (it seems to hold up VERY well...) and a hard top, once I locate one.
                    I may pick up a cheaper lower model just to play with it. I currently don't have a garage, and I plan on the car sharing daily driver duties with my CTS-V, so its bound to get a little beat up!

Anyway, didn't mean to drag it totally off topic!

av6g6, is that an OEM hard top, or aftermarket? I've never been in a convertible with a hard top before. Is it really worth having in lieu of the soft top?

Comment

I'd go with the darker green with the tan interior; to me that just looks way nicer. I'm moving this to your contemplation though, haha.

I think the hardtop would be better than a soft-top, being in Jersey I think it'd be better for the winter too. It will hold up to the conditions, and it will keep in heat better. Factor in wind noise, and if you flip, your head is toast. On top of that, you can't cut open a hardtop and steal stuff.

Comment

I 100% recommend a hard top. Mine is oem. The biggest advantage I saw was going from the flat panel back window that little more than a peep hole, to a window that wraps around to the sides. Visibility is significantly improved with the hard top.

My 6th gen accord thread
                        99 Miata

Comment

I hadn't even considered improved visibility. Now I definitely want one!

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                          I'd go with the darker green with the tan interior; to me that just looks way nicer. I'm moving this to your contemplation though, haha.

I think the hardtop would be better than a soft-top, being in Jersey I think it'd be better for the winter too. It will hold up to the conditions, and it will keep in heat better. Factor in wind noise, and if you flip, your head is toast. On top of that, you can't cut open a hardtop and steal stuff.
                          I like the dark green, but I want the M edition. They only come in one color each year. A dark green might be on the table if I decide to go non-M to start. Probably won't be much help in a rollover, though rolling a Miata is tough. Plus, it has the roll hoops behind the seats.

Comment

Mmmm that hard top!

Now working at a Mazda dealer, I recently got to drive a handful of Miatas. Now I know what it's all about!

Fun little cars.

Miata
                            Is
                            Always
                            The
                            Answer

Comment

Little update. Got her started and idling smooth. Base timing is set and ready for some auto tune testing.

My 6th gen accord thread
                              99 Miata

Comment

Working...
                              X