npor: 2006 C6 Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starchland
    nice car man...and ebay that is ballsy....auto I guess no choice??

found the car on ebay, drove down to Ft. Lauderdale to look at it and after seeing/driving, purchasing it.

Comment

Originally posted by npor
      found the car on ebay, drove down to Ft. Lauderdale to look at it and after seeing/driving, purchasing it.
      How much did you pay for it?
      She's my 1st love!

Originally posted by CustomLowz via greencb7inkc
      Hey, Grandma! You want a lumpkin?
      Oh,here comes one now! What now, BITCH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
        It is a six speed auto, which is the same # of gears as the manual.

That means that the only real additional loss is through the torque converter.

Most tools driving a manual though more than make up for that with imperfect shifting.

Bottom line: There is probably little to no real world advantage to the manual tranny, and you don't have to shift the damn thing all the time.

Ferrari's F1 gearbox is repeatably proven to be faster than their the regular manual tranny. It is a different setup, but I would expect similar results here.

Besides, with 400HP, turning a torque converter isn't that big of a deal.
        you're 100% right, but i'd still want a manual, just more fun, at least for me.

the newest z06 is the car i'd buy if i could...along with my cb7 of course. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
          you're 100% right, but i'd still want a manual, just more fun, at least for me.

the newest z06 is the car i'd buy if i could...along with my cb7 of course. later.

Typically I prefer manuals too. But the Vette isn't notorious for smooth shifting, positive engagement manuals. They have gotten far better in recent years, but still have a way to go to catch up.

Honestly, I would be happy with either, although I would be more inclined to lean manual too.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Typically I prefer manuals too. But the Vette isn't notorious for smooth shifting, positive engagement manuals. They have gotten far better in recent years, but still have a way to go to catch up.

Honestly, I would be happy with either, although I would be more inclined to lean manual too.

Neither.

DSG with paddle shift!
            WTB - IACV for H22a4.

FS: 1993 CB9 w/H22a4 and much, much more.

PM or email with inquiries.
            Vouch Thread

Comment

Ferrari's F1 gearbox is repeatably proven to be faster than their the regular manual tranny. It is a different setup, but I would expect similar results here.
              Dude, how can you even compare the two? You know damned well they're totally different beasts. Even the best slushbox still can't shift nearly as fast as F1 box or SMG or DSG.

Comment

Originally posted by NutBucket
                Dude, how can you even compare the two?
                apparently rather easily.

Comment

Dude, how can you even compare the two? You know damned well they're totally different beasts. Even the best slushbox still can't shift nearly as fast as F1 box or SMG or DSG.

That is true. But even the slowest slushbox can outshift the average human by a significant margin.

The point wasn't to say the tranny was equal to the F1 box. It was to illustrate that for the average driver, the auto will most likely be faster.

Comment

Well, I suppose the actual shift is fairly fast. The thing that always bothered me the most was the delay. Even on the newest slush box with paddles or whatever there's still that delay between you pushing the stick for a shift and the shift actually happening.

On the other hand, most average drivers will never even try to shift fast, negating your point somewhat.

Comment

Well, I suppose the actual shift is fairly fast. The thing that always bothered me the most was the delay. Even on the newest slush box with paddles or whatever there's still that delay between you pushing the stick for a shift and the shift actually happening.

On the other hand, most average drivers will never even try to shift fast, negating your point somewhat.
                      Depends on the tranny I guess. The 5 speed auto in my moms Accord kicks down before I would have even thought about needing a kickdown. And it downshifts while slowing so as to be ready to go again. It is hard to explain, but in most cases you would enter a turn, get on the gas, then the tranny would decide it needed a downshift, kick down, and by then you have the delay you are referring to. The 06 is already in the gear you need. There is no delay, and it is honestly much quicker on the gears than the average person would be.

As far as negating the point, not really. Typically those who go for the manual do so for 1 of 2 reasons.

1) They like the added control.

2) They like the added performance. (these are the ones that are more likely to be shifting fast)

Recent advances in autobox technology have blurred #2 to the point that in some cases (Ferrari) the autobox is actually higher performance than the manual. Even the torque converter equipped autos are getting close with equal gear ratios and improved electronics.

With Ferrari, autoboxes outsell manual boxes by about 4:1.

Really it doesn't matter. It is what it is. For the average wannabe Nascar driver, the auto will probably still be faster, and with 400HP the car is plenty fast anyway.

My understanding with the way Chevy setup the paddle shifters in those is that there is a fair degree of control without having to row. The delay is also supposed to be negligible. I don't know I haven't driven one, that is just what I heard.

Software is primarily responsible for how auto's behave anyway, so it really depends on what the powertrain engineers wanted.

Honda sets theirs up so they will bounce off the rev limit all day if you want to. Don't know if Chevy did that though.

CandD who is typically very manual tranny preferential said they preferred the auto, because it was just as capable, but easier to live with.

Comment

nice car man, to bad its automatic. and dont argue with me on why your auto is better than a manual....dont waste my time
                        To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7
                          nice car man, to bad its automatic. and dont argue with me on why your auto is better than a manual....dont waste my time

Enlighten us.

Comment

Enlighten us.
                            It's Soy, he's always right. :sarcasm:

I agree on the manumatic stuff. Don't forget though with Ferrari, those gated shifters are a bitch to shift, which certainly lends itsself to the sales figures.

The problem with a lot of automatics, at least in a non-performance car is they will shift early.

My mom's auto Accord actually surprised me in how strong it was compared to my manual...it will bang right into the redline. Don't forget, in the CB era Accords, the transmissions were fundamentally the same, with just the added parts to make it an automatic.

If I remember right, the 98 Supra was 0-60 in 5.0 seconds for the autobox and 4.9 seconds for the manual.

The automatic wouldn't be faster in the curves, but could win in a straight line if the driver of the manual wasn't good.

It all depends on the car.

Comment

there is absolutly no comparison when it comes to control during a road race. You cannot begin to compare unless you spead of SMG transmissions. Accord warrior you have issues, get off my back
                              To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7
                                there is absolutly no comparison when it comes to control during a road race. You cannot begin to compare unless you spead of SMG transmissions. Accord warrior you have issues, get off my back
                                Issues?

ias;ufeo29r9032823093r8309F @A(*)(!*R#()*R#)(FDS*)FDS( DSF8094efqewafudsiofuads09fdsa90823-r280321410-39-0329rasdfwefawrewre fd sf dsafdsaafadsfsdasdfdsafdsasfd fdsasdfdf s asdfsd faafdsfdsfdsdsfafds fdsaadfsfads dsf sdffdsdfsdsf asdfe2321 4 32445y@$##$

I guess I do.

I can live with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X