Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

HID's..... high or low beam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HID's..... high or low beam?

so if iwanna run HID's do I get the high beam kit or the low beam kit? or do I get both? just trying to see what anyone on here has done, any general tips when looking for a kit. I know the bulb size and the color(temp) I wanna do. just not sure if I should do high or low beam. any input and opinions are appreciated.

thanks

You can get away with a Bi-xenon kit. I have it on my car, with the Bi-xenons theres a connector that you can use on your high beam connector so basically you'd 'elimate' the high beam part of the headlamp system.

If I were you, I'd do a retro-fit better visibility with a sharper cut-off and you're not blinding other people on the road with just a plug in HID kit.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
      You can get away with a Bi-xenon kit. I have it on my car, with the Bi-xenons theres a connector that you can use on your high beam connector so basically you'd 'elimate' the high beam part of the headlamp system.

If I were you, I'd do a retro-fit better visibility with a sharper cut-off and you're not blinding other people on the road with just a plug in HID kit.
      so the bi-xenon kit looks like a possible option. also what do you mean by retro fit?

Comment

HIDs in the high beams are a bad idea, unless you regularly drive with them on for long periods of time. Flicking them off frequently when you encounter oncoming traffic can damage the system, and "flash to pass" is REALLY hard on HIDs. At least that's how I've always known them to be. Not sure if new stuff is better. It's been a while!

By retrofit, HenRoc means installing projectors in your housings. Halogen housings are not meant for HID lights, and they throw the light everywhere. It looks awful, and the light isn't as useful. Such a setup will put you among the ranks of 16 year old ricer kids in their rusted out Civics (because $35 HIDs are cheap... and nobody else matters!)
        Most importantly, HIDs used in halogen housings will blind oncoming drivers. In my advanced age (37 now... ugh...) I find that my eyes recover much more slowly in the dark after being blinded by irresponsible HIDs or high beams. The few seconds of near-blindness could result in me running over one of the MANY morons that like to walk around my town in the dark wearing black clothing.
        You can buy quality projectors at theretrofitsource.com, or you could find a nice set from an Acura TSX or Honda S2000. Or get creative... just be sure they're designed for HID use (there are halogen projectors out there as well... you don't want those.) There are a few DIYs on here regarding a projector retrofit... albeit without pictures until we get around to transferring them to one of our dedicated servers.

Finally, it would be a very good idea to build or buy an auxiliary harness for your HID system. Newer systems supposedly aren't terribly hard on your car's electrical system, but these cars are old... don't abuse them. Especially when it comes to stuff that could cause them to catch fire! Such harnesses are cheap (like $10... not like the $75 custom piece I had to get back in 2005...) HIDs generally draw less power than stock halogen bulbs, but only when warmed up. They draw considerably more as they're warming up. With brittle quarter-century-old wiring, that could be a recipe for disaster.

Comment

This is the retrofit that is on my car, my friend who owned it before I bought it actually installed this kit. As Deev mentioned you would need an heavy duty auxilary harness which comes as a kit when you get thru

The Retro Fit Source

This is what the kit consists of:

- Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 Projectors
          - Mini Gatling Gun Shrouds
          - Morimoto H1 Bulbs, 4300k
          - Morimoto 3Five 35w ballasts
          - Morimoto Heavy Duty Aux Wiring Harness

I lucked out since it was already done for me but up until a few years ago a lot of the older members used the TSX projectors but it was a little bit more involved because you had to measure for the cut-off and you needed shims and long bolts to be able to secure the projectors inside the stock headlamp housings...and add to that having to mod the headlamp bucket just for the projector bowls themselves.

This Morimoto kit really simplifies it. Now I believe TRS is starting to sell LED retrofit kits too and from what I've seen those looks really nice.
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,

Comment

Yea the Mini H1 is a solid option. The new LED stuff is pretty cool too but you will have to check for clearance.

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post

This is the retrofit that is on my car, my friend who owned it before I bought it actually installed this kit. As Deev mentioned you would need an heavy duty auxilary harness which comes as a kit when you get thru

The Retro Fit Source

This is what the kit consists of:

- Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 Projectors
              - Mini Gatling Gun Shrouds
              - Morimoto H1 Bulbs, 4300k
              - Morimoto 3Five 35w ballasts
              - Morimoto Heavy Duty Aux Wiring Harness

I lucked out since it was already done for me but up until a few years ago a lot of the older members used the TSX projectors but it was a little bit more involved because you had to measure for the cut-off and you needed shims and long bolts to be able to secure the projectors inside the stock headlamp housings...and add to that having to mod the headlamp bucket just for the projector bowls themselves.

This Morimoto kit really simplifies it. Now I believe TRS is starting to sell LED retrofit kits too and from what I've seen those looks really nice.
              The kit is only the harness and lights themselves right? Where could I obtain the headlight housing that was in the picture you posted?

Comment

Originally posted by JTL_91CB7 View Post
                The kit is only the harness and lights themselves right? Where could I obtain the headlight housing that was in the picture you posted?
                Headlamps are stock ones. There'a DIY thread on how to open these up. They already sell everything else on their website.
                Henry R
                Koni/Neuspeed
                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                Legend FSM

Comment

I wondered that, but that halo look threw me off. Do you have a link for the DIY?

Comment

Working...
                  X