No announcement yet.

07 AV6-6 vs 1G TSX vs E39 540i/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My commute will be cut in half once we move. I never planned on having that long of a commute ever in life, but a job opportunity popped up.

I have a v6 6 speed 8th gen that my wife drives right now. Plus I wanted a sedan this time around.

I went with something different yet similar

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

So much werk to do

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Good choice!!!
        http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

I'm just now seeing this (after reading JDMdriver's comment in the other thread.) Used BMWs are scary... but I can't say I don't like it. Looks damn good! That's not a color I see every day, either.

Comment

Thanks guys. This one will be getting an OEM alarm, wheel locks and maybe an aftermarket alarm integrated with the OEM one. I want only one key fob and one of those smartphone apps that tell me the cars status.

I think the 3 series are German Hondas. Everything has been done/recorded on them. Tons of DIYs are available and it's fairly easy to work on. The mechanicals are solid, the electricals don't scare me lol. The only thing to worry about are the plastic bits around the engine. (Even the valve cover is plastic?!?! Really BMW?)

The larger or formally more expensive German cars scare me a bit especially for parts that can only be purchased from the manufacturer.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

That is true. The 3 series does seem to be the safest bet when it comes to bmw.

Comment

I am driving an e46. They are fairly easy to work. Parts are made not to last. It is like they are intentionally made to break, just for you to make the dealer service a ton of money. Dealer parts prices have been reasonable(I get a healthy discount) but lately some things are beginning to jump pretty high. The only non oem parts I used are the radiator(oem manufacturer), electric fan(tyc), and brakes(ate discs and rotors)

Use oem trailing arm bushings only. I bought some loemforder ones out of convenience when I was ordering brake stuff from pelican. They literally slid out of both arms when driving and messed up one of the arms.

Lots of oils leaks, check the filter housing to block. That gasket will need to be replaced.
                Cam sensors need regular replacing
                Pulleys/tensioners need regular replacing
                Radiator fill/expansion tanks go bad
                Window regulators are also crap, start planning on how to repair or replace

Check front lower arm ball joints, my parents zhp clunks and sounds like front is falling off.
                The air pump thingy in the front passenger side hoses are most likely crunchy and need to be replaced
                Air intake tubes rot. All the vacuum hoses rot quickly.

German plastic and rubber are garbage. Windshield cowl rubber rots off. Door seals fall apart. Tabs on interior plastics break on removal.

The a/c fan control units self destruct. They are potted and you destroy them trying to unpot them to replace the transistor. The newer design looks better. Unfortunately they only sell them as a complete unit with the fan.

Interior hvac blower fans squeak like crazy when blowing cold air at low speeds

Final stage blower resistor also has issues. The newer cars may have a better design.

You will notice quickly it is not a Honda. Welcome to BMW, for those who like working on cars just to keep it functioning.
                Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

It's sad that the higher-end brands seem to be that way. They're made for the people that lease, or those that buy a new car every 3-5 years. They're wonderful when they're new, and then they start to break. I'm sure all the stuff that's covered under any CPO warranty will last a decade or more. Anything else... forget about it.

Of course, that can depend on a number of factors as well... including the care the previous owner took in storing/maintaining/using the car, how much use the car got, and the climate the car was used in (excessively hot will kill rubber, plastic, vinyl, and some electronics. excessively cold isn't as bad, but many cold areas use salt on their roads... which does nasty things to a car.) Also, luck.

As far as any German brands go, BMW is the one I'd choose. Audi and Mercedes-Benz seem to be needlessly complex... you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out how to fix one. BMW seems to keep most things fairly straightforward. Especially with the 3 series.

Comment

Dam, wish i had of seen this thread earlier. I own a 04 TSX, black with tan interior. The car will spoil you, but so will the BMW more I Imagine. The TSX like all cars has its "bugs". And some are not small bugs like when you have to replace the axles due to wearing of the connections, Acura wants $900 a piece for them. A small bug would be the dam squeaky door hinges which are suppose to be "self lubricating", $300 for all four or the headlights that you have to re-seal. Besides that an amazing car that has tons of power and is super comfy to drive!!

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                      I am driving an e46. They are fairly easy to work. Parts are made not to last...
                      Wow, that's good to know about the RTABs. Yes my OFHG is leaking lol...it'll be replaced very soon.

You know you drive a BMW when you have a maintenance log AND a build log.

EDIT: New sig quote, thanks Lucifer!

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      It's sad that the higher-end brands seem to be that way. They're made for the people that lease, or those that buy a new car every 3-5 years. They're wonderful when they're new, and then they start to break. I'm sure all the stuff that's covered under any CPO warranty will last a decade or more. Anything else... forget about it.

Of course, that can depend on a number of factors as well... including the care the previous owner took in storing/maintaining/using the car, how much use the car got, and the climate the car was used in (excessively hot will kill rubber, plastic, vinyl, and some electronics. excessively cold isn't as bad, but many cold areas use salt on their roads... which does nasty things to a car.) Also, luck.

As far as any German brands go, BMW is the one I'd choose. Audi and Mercedes-Benz seem to be needlessly complex... you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out how to fix one. BMW seems to keep most things fairly straightforward. Especially with the 3 series.
                      I always chuckle when I see a young person driving a 7 series. Yes they are cheap on the front end...but if you can't DIY then it's going to hurt when it breaks. I think the owning a BMW is still like owning a CB that one has purchased from a non-enthusiast. The only difference is when you refresh the CB, it will last another 300k. When you refresh a BMW, you'll do it again in a few years.

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      Dam, wish i had of seen this thread earlier. I own a 04 TSX, black with tan interior. The car will spoil you, but so will the BMW more I Imagine. The TSX like all cars has its "bugs". And some are not small bugs like when you have to replace the axles due to wearing of the connections, Acura wants $900 a piece for them. A small bug would be the dam squeaky door hinges which are suppose to be "self lubricating", $300 for all four or the headlights that you have to re-seal. Besides that an amazing car that has tons of power and is super comfy to drive!!
                      I liked the TSX when I drove it. I notice more of them on the road now lol. The interior is the best thing about the car imo. Everything is nicely laid out and has a "cozy" feel to it. And it doesn't have a plastic valve cover...
                      Last edited by sonikaccord; 06-30-2016, 08:19 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                      X