Best method to clean the old adhesive off of Moulding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best method to clean the old adhesive off of Moulding

I got 2 used door channel runners and one still has a lot of old goop(adhesive) on it. It isn't the same type of rubber as door moulding but close i assume. Can i soak this in water to get the remaining adhesive off before i apply it on my car. Will the water dry out the rubber in any way?

someone here suggested WD40 for loosening up plastidip, give it a try on a small area.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I don't think water is going to do it. You'll need some kind of solvent to remove it; brake cleaner, mineral spirits, alcohol.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

You didn't try GooGone? I've used that to remove any type of adhesive on the exterior. I'm trying to think of what I used to scrape it off, I believe some type of plastic edge. My older brother was good enough to actually be able to use a razorblade without scrapping the paint!
        '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
        If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

I've had very good luck over the years with a product called De-Solv-It! It's worked well in removing just about any adhesive and is very benign to your skin and the material you're applying it to.

I've used it to remove adhesives from labels, moldings, etc. IMO it's better than goof off but a little harder to find. I know Amazon carries it and maybe some local hardware and supermarkets may have it too.
          My Collection:
          93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
          00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
          04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Don't try and cut it off like me and cut into the rubber part of the door like I did ...... But i couldn't find anything to take it off either.

Comment

Ammonia, or windex which has ammonia in it. I learned this long ago removing bad window tint jobs but seems to work great on all adhesives. Kinda burns them slowly. Coat, wait, wipe. Repeat. Might be bad for rubber though.
              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
                Ammonia, or windex which has ammonia in it. I learned this long ago removing bad window tint jobs but seems to work great on all adhesives. Kinda burns them slowly. Coat, wait, wipe. Repeat. Might be bad for rubber though.
                What about taking a gasket off the air plenum. It is actually the Intake manifold gasket connected to the butterfly plate. The top one i took off the car and is now soaking in water. CRC Gasket remover is like paint remover and not working well on the one removed. How do i remove the one on air plenum that i can't take off car. Can't soak it in water obviously. Didn't expect those two gaskets to be soo hard to remove.

Comment

Working...
                X