So how much does a dyno test cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how much does a dyno test cost?

I've never had a reason to have any of my cars tested on a dynamometer but just wondered about the cost of it and if it's worth doing just for fun...

My suspicion is the shops want to sell parts so they offer the service cheaply or free if you spend $$$$?
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

My experience with cars is that the fee is always the same.if you're only there for dyno results. It's around $40-80, depending on the number of pulls they'll offer.

I have always had techs that are pretty underwhelmed and make it evident they wish they were doing something else if you bring them something slow by their standards, and more enthusiastic if you had something that was performance-oriented.

Call ahead and get a time slot. But then don't expect them to be over the moon to dyno a stock 25 year-old Accord.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      My experience with cars is that the fee is always the same.if you're only there for dyno results. It's around $40-80, depending on the number of pulls they'll offer.

I have always had techs that are pretty underwhelmed and make it evident they wish they were doing something else if you bring them something slow by their standards, and more enthusiastic if you had something that was performance-oriented.

Call ahead and get a time slot. But then don't expect them to be over the moon to dyno a stock 25 year-old Accord.
      If I did bring it, it wouldn't be to impress anyone. I'm more curious to know how much degradation has occured over the years.

Thanks...
      My Collection:

Comment

A lot of shops will host dyno days and that's when you'll typically see the better deals, offering multiple pulls for lower rates, but as Jarrett said, the $40-80 range is probably reasonable.

Don't forget that not all dynos read the same. Some can read significantly higher than others depending on design and the parameters entered by the operator, so take whatever number you get with a grain of salt.

When I dynoed my STi, my number was lower than most other online values I've read given the car, parts and tune I had done. However, relative to the specific dyno I was on, it was almost dead on with similar cars.

Comment

Indeed, some dynos will read differently than others. DynoJet units are known to be optimistic, wheras Mustang units are known to be conservative. Depending on the dyno, you may or may not get a completely accurate reading.
          Special pricing for dyno pulls, such as at large track events via a mobile unit, or on a promotional day at a local performance shop, are likely to be optimistic. Few people are going to brag about a dyno number that's lower than they expected. However, they'll be talking to everyone when they "discover" that their car makes way more power than they thought. It's just better advertising.

This may not be true 100% of the time, but I've heard enough to know that it happens, and it seems to happen frequently enough to be worth mentioning.
          For the most part, a dyno is better used as a tuning tool; something to mark the increase and decrease in power as you make adjustments. Getting an "official" horsepower number is cool, but it may or may not be absolutely accurate.

Comment

The often overlooked benefit is that it allows for the driver to know optimal shift point for each gear as it shows the powerband and one can use such graph to calculate when to shift according to each ratio to maximize the usage of power available.
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
              The often overlooked benefit is that it allows for the driver to know optimal shift point for each gear as it shows the powerband and one can use such graph to calculate when to shift according to each ratio to maximize the usage of power available.
              That is very true, and regardless of the dyno calibration, that data would be useful for that purpose. Good point!

Comment

Here is a read for anyone interested in reading the relation of power to hear and how it is used to calculate the optimal shifting point for each gear and for which the graph would be useful. http://www.welltall.com/ymc/discovery/car/shiftpt.html
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

This is fascinating stuff I would have guessed dynos were calibrated based on some SAE type standard or such.

But in reality its more like women's dress sizes where the numbers are fudged to make you feel better depending on who is testing... too funny.
                  Last edited by hiptech; 02-27-2017, 11:20 AM.
                  My Collection:

Comment

Sortof. I hear Mustang Dynos are that way. But Dynojet is quite accurate.

I second the dyno day option. Usually shops will hold a dyno day and all they will be doing all day is running cars to see numbers, no tuning. So usually for $25-50 they will strap down the car and do a few pulls. I'm betting that on a normal Tuesday they wouldn't just strap down a stock Honda just to see the numbers because that'll be taking up time they could be using to tune a car. A good dyno shop will be busy.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                      Sortof. I hear Mustang Dynos are that way. But Dynojet is quite accurate.

I second the dyno day option. Usually shops will hold a dyno day and all they will be doing all day is running cars to see numbers, no tuning. So usually for $25-50 they will strap down the car and do a few pulls. I'm betting that on a normal Tuesday they wouldn't just strap down a stock Honda just to see the numbers because that'll be taking up time they could be using to tune a car. A good dyno shop will be busy.
                      I think now that you guys explained the process it would be more of a pipe dream having it done. Obviously these shops are there to sell product so just having someone come in with no intention of spending any money beyond the pull (just for laughs) is not going to happen...
                      My Collection:

Comment

Can't hurt to call around, though. If a local shop happens to have a slot open, they'd surely rather take your $25-$75 (or whatever) for a few quick and easy pulls than to have no money coming in at all.
                        Plus, one key to business success is getting customers in the door. If you go there for a dyno pull, then you're more likely to go back there when you need a proper tune. They'd be stupid to turn you away if they had the time to fit you in!

Comment

I paid $40 on a dyno day to get three pulls done, best was 191whp and 155wtq when the ambient temperature was 110 degrees . They also provided hot dogs and soda as part of a grand opening of the place. So, getting a lunch out of it was pretty good. I think the place was called Soulless Performance. It was back in June 2014 near Country Club and Broadway in Mesa, AZ. They might've moved since then though. But the guy loved my Honda after he realized it still pulled past 6k RPM with my H22.

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                          X