AccordWarrior : 1999 Chevrolet Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
    Those look pretty good in there! Do they mount in such a way that they fix the "rocking" or sliding that the OEM seats tend to do? Mine isn't too bad, but it's still annoying. If these seats can fix the issue, I might consider a seat swap.
    They have their own mounts. No rocking, no sliding.

The mounts are a bit stiff to use though, as in they basically don't slide much without force. I opted for the double locking sliders.

They are a VERY tight fit in the car. The way the seatbelt reel is situated effectively limits rearward travel. You have to swap the driver and passenger seats such that the recline levers are mounted on the inside by the tunnel which makes it difficult to rear the lever. Then you have to move the buckle, lift the handle, set the angle and work on pushing the adjustment lever back down while you find the locking detent. Once you find it, the seat is as sold as any normal reclining seat (i.e. some give in the back and forth of the seat back, but not a rocking like the standard Vette seats).

I do like them even though they are a very tight fit. I've got maybe a 35" waist with a bit of newfound middle pudge and I'm squeezed in there. However once you hit your first corner and you don't move...

If you've got the power telescoping option you need to pirate the seat module and harness from your driver's seat or you lose that feature.

Had I sat in a set before I purchased them, I may have waited and lost some weight but since they're in the car, I'm keeping them. They look amazing.

Comment

Prepping for the BBS wheel swap. Ignore the potato quality pics. The car can sit on these until the new wheels have the tires mounted. Everyone hates the wagon wheels, but admittedly I like these more than I should, and probably more than the thin spokes I had on it when I purchased it.

The BBS should be swapped over tomorrow so we will see when I get those on.
      Last edited by AccordWarrior; 05-04-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

They're the corvette version of 10AE six spokes.

Comment

Holy shoes!

Car needs a detail badly and I need to fit the center caps still. It's pouring here, so this is the best pic I can snap.

I'm in love.

Specs are as follows:

Front
          17x9
          5x120.65
          +54 offset
          245/45-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 ZP

Rear
          18x10
          5x120.65
          +52
          275/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 ZP
          Last edited by AccordWarrior; 05-05-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Looks fantastic! Remember how I said the C5 almost has an NSX-ish quality about it? These wheels bring out that quality even more.

I like the wagon wheels more than I thought I would as well... so you really can't go wrong regardless of which shoes you put on it! The beast is really coming along nicely!

Comment

Updated lead foto.

New foto time!

Comment

Looking good, man! Still love that blue. The BBS' look great on there. Makes me miss driving mine; it's been parked in the garage gathering dust for the last month waiting for a steering rack replacement.
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                  Looking good, man! Still love that blue. The BBS' look great on there. Makes me miss driving mine; it's been parked in the garage gathering dust for the last month waiting for a steering rack replacement.
                  Thanks! I had originally wanted black, but now I'm glad I went blue. I guess navy blue was a reasonably low production color, with supposedly only 919 made in my year, and probably less than half of them had the 6MT.

The BBS wheels make the car for me, as I think it does a lot to remove the cheese out of the Corvette. I'm trying to do subtle changes in the vein of maybe a JDM / EDM car.

Ugh at your steering rack issue. Mine's going to be down for a bit pretty soon as one of my pop ups broke and the gears stripped out on me. My inspection is due in two days so I don't stand a chance of passing.

My to-do list on it is long but since I don't drive it every day I'm trying to push off the problems.

- Harmonic balancer is noisy again(!!) Local Chevy dealer completely dropped the ball on me by replacing it once with a faulty balancer, then blamed my crank being bent, then replaced it again after I brought it to a second dealer as part of the GM warranty on the part. What I think happened is the original dealer misplaced the weights that go in the HB as part of the final 6MT hot balance. The 2nd replacement is okay, but not 100% true. The chirping could be belts, could be another pulley, but it's irksome after spending $900 for the repair. I'm going to have it redone at some point in the future with the ATI unit and finally forget about it.

- Power steering is a bit wonky sometimes, as a result of the 2nd balancer replacement. They bled and bled and bled and 90% of the time it's fine, but every so often it bites me.

- Brakes need to be done next year

- Interior...yeah, interior needs love. My center console is broken in many different ways and needs to be replaced. My dash appears to have a crease I'm watching to make sure doesn't crack

- Targa seals leak bad. I don't know if it's from the top seals or from the door / halo seals. I know the metal band inside the targa is bent as well which doesn't help. Of course a glass top would solve that problem altogether, and probably let me enjoy the car more with the roof on, but that's hardly in the budget right now.

The beauty is that if it's giving me too much of a headache, I can just walk away and leave it in the garage for the time being and not think about it, which is brilliant.

Comment

I think blue was absolutely the way to go. I like black, but having some color adds depth. My next toy will probably be the same color as your Vette

Adding black seats really made it look better, too. The black/gray interior with the glossy blue exterior is a stunning combination.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I think blue was absolutely the way to go. I like black, but having some color adds depth. My next toy will probably be the same color as your Vette

Adding black seats really made it look better, too. The black/gray interior with the glossy blue exterior is a stunning combination.
                      Agreed 100%.

I'd like a set of black floor mats, but I have a suspicion doing a complete transfer to black would turn the car into a coal bin.

It still needs some interior dress-up, but again, I don't see that happening in the forseeable future.

Comment

Good lord.

Stunning, dude. Best way to describe it. The color/wheel combo is awesome. Super jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                          Good lord.

Stunning, dude. Best way to describe it. The color/wheel combo is awesome. Super jealous!
                          Thanks Ralphie!

A lot of it is the trick of the camera. I'm not really good with the camera yet, but I've found with the right high res shot, anything can look appealing.

That being said, with the exception of the front turn signals, I'm quite pleased with how it looks aesthetically. I could lower it a bit, but I feel like that would make it much more of a headache compared to what it is now, which is still pretty functional.

I took it to a car show Monday put on by the local Corvette club and the Corvette guys did not like this car, which kinda made my evening.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                            - Harmonic balancer is noisy again(!!) Local Chevy dealer completely dropped the ball on me by replacing it once with a faulty balancer, then blamed my crank being bent, then replaced it again after I brought it to a second dealer as part of the GM warranty on the part. What I think happened is the original dealer misplaced the weights that go in the HB as part of the final 6MT hot balance. The 2nd replacement is okay, but not 100% true. The chirping could be belts, could be another pulley, but it's irksome after spending $900 for the repair. I'm going to have it redone at some point in the future with the ATI unit and finally forget about it.
                            I had a similar problem with the noisy accessory drive. I replaced all my tensioners/pulleys, and put on a new belt, and it was quiet for about a month, then the squeak/squeal came back. I swapped out to a Continental Elite belt (formerly Gatorback), and it hasn't squealed since; might be worth a shot. My balancer does have a bit of wobble, which doesn't help, so it's getting a new Powerbond OEM while I have the rack out of the car.
                            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

So my headlights are the bane of my existence.

The OEM headlight assemblies are about as bright as a pair of cheap flashlights. The fix is the super nice ACA projector setup, which I bought and put in the car. I had issues with the driver's side headlight cover not fitting correctly due to what I believe previous collision damage (CarFax was clean, but I see evidence of a respray that I didn't catch during the pre-inspection). The problem with the pop up assemblies is that they are imprecise as far as holding up the headlamps, so the cutoff would shimmy and dazzle. I had adjusted them quite low, but I know it was annoying people, so I made a note to fix them.

Long story short I had a failure of the driver's side popup motor. I ordered replacement brass gears thinking that would solve my issue. I pulled apart the whole assembly to realize the arm that holds up the popup lost it's retainer pin. I decided since I spent the money on the gears, I may as well pull the motors apart and replace it. I put it all back together, adjusted the headlight cover and thought I was good.

I hit the lights and they popped up and the HID didn't ignite. I shut off the stalk and the lights didn't retract. I hit the high beams and down they went, and both sides slammed down. I tore apart the motors, readjusted everything and got them working again. The HID still would not ignite. I checked every connection and was baffled. I ended up putting the OEM assemblies back in and everything worked beautifully and went and got my inspection to make the car legal again. I pulled into the garage, shut off the headlights and the driver's side slammed down again and I noticed the cover is now hitting the hood.

It turns out the Vette needs 55w HIDs to run the popup assembly. However, since my car sits most of the week, the battery / charging system doesn't typically have enough juice to fire off the HIDs. So either I have to run a relay to get everything to work or not use the headlights for the first 20 minutes I drive the car.

So I'm on the fence of whether to sell the whole HID setup and go with HIR bulbs as they are the best halogen equivalent from a lumen standpoint, or to try and build a harness that will work to actually have the HID do what I need it to do. Then i still need to find a way to reinforce the whole popup assembly. There is a DIY on CorvetteForum, but it's a video and doesn't have photos, so I don't know how good it ultimately will be.

All I know is I'm 12 hours into the project, and I'm sick of it!

I've also been greeted with more belt chirp, which I know as foamypirate mentioned can be lessened with new belts, but ultimately is due to the wobbling balancer. It's the same balancer I paid nearly $1,000 to have repaired at a Chevy dealer last summer. The original repair unit failed, the dealer blamed my crankshift being bent (really?). I had a second dealer look at it who verified it was a bad balancer and the hot balance weights weren't replaced on the balancer. The first dealer repaired the balancer after that and the replacement still wasn't 100% true but they told me that GM's tolerances are such that it's not unusual.

Ultimately next year I'll go and get an aftermarket unit done by a speed shop since it's more involved than I want to deal with right now, especially with a new baby on the way, but it's frustrating nonetheless.

Comment

Dang man, tough luck on the headlights. It's funny you mention that though, because my passenger side headlight (with new brass gear), only popped up halfway today when I went for a drive. Turned it off and on a few times, and it closed, and opened up, half way, each time. Got to my destination, popped the hood to check it out, and naturally it came up all the way, and did so repeatedly. These cars sure do have weird headlights.

Hope you get the ideal solution figured out!

Comment

Working...
                                X