H22 Accord vs. the new CR-Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CRX Si had a 106HP D16A.

The SIR had, I believe a ZC with 130HP, and the SIR-T had 160HP B16.

That car with a B16 was more of a high 14 second car, which for the time was pretty speedy, considering that is what V8 "muscle" cars were struggling to run. However, it was never offered in the US, nor was it widely produced. They are still pretty rare.

That said, back in those days, in order to have a really fast Honda, you had to modify it a bit. They weren't "slow", but they weren't exactly fast either. But they got awesome mileage, decent power, and handled like go-karts. They also responded well to modification.

The CR-Z is actually quite light by today's standards, with the only really lighter car being the Mini, but overall all cars have gained shit tons of weight. However, HKS currently has several forms of this car running around, one making about 170HP, and another making just shy of 300. The higher powered supercharged one is actually quite fast considering the power to weight ratio, so it would appear that it maintains all of the basic attributes that made Honda popular in the first place.

Also, even in stock form, the car is seriously fun enough, and enough like a modern CRX, I would almost consider trading the Si for one. I would probably require just a bit more power, but frankly, out of VTEC, the CRZ moves around about as well as the Si in normal driving, and it actually feels less strained doing it, thanks to the boost of the electric motor.

In fact, rather than see a boosted Si in the future, I would rather see a hybrid since the electric motor perfectly compliments the power delivery of a small NA gas engine, and makes for a completely linear pull. Add the VTEC rush to the top, and it would be a FANTASTIC powertrain.

It has a great feature set, better materials and build quality than the current Civic, and doesn't feel like there is much cost cutting (other than some of the hard surfaces the Civic doesn't either, but the Insight sure does). It felt as solid as a bank vault and was actually quiet and composed.

However, the biggest draw for me was the fact that it DROVE like a normal car. No funny brake feel, no funny engine assist on/off boost weirdness, nothing. Just a normal car that was easily giving me over 40MPG in city driving with no special technique. The 3 driving modes were very effective and noticeably too, although "Eco" mode was awfully slow.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

^agreed, I have to admit, I was slightly disappointed when It was first released that the crz would be a hybrid. I am however doubtful that Honda will create a non hybrid version, seems like this whole car is integrated so heavily around that system. But it would be interesting to see future tuners embracing the whole electric system and finding ways to make that thing run 12's

Comment

As DD from what the rest of you have said, looks like I would like to own one...and it is a CRX reincarnated so its to each his own with that one. I am just happy honda has decided to bring back some of their good cars that we all still love
        The CB7 Collector.
        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
        92 LX Coupe F22A1
        2013 Toyota Corolla S
        92 EX Sedan F22A1
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by mattman View Post
          It would be interesting to see future tuners embracing the whole electric system and finding ways to make that thing run 12's
          Blitz did that with a Prius back in 2k3 although it ran high 13's if I remember correctly.
          Call me Travis.
          2006 Cobalt LS/SC ~ "Burt the Bloody Bumble Bee"
          1992 Accord LX ~ "Smoothie"
          1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
          1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

Spotry hybrid

there have been a lot of people, on this board and everywhere else, that are currently wondering what the hell Honda has been doing for th last 10 years.

Well Honda has always been committed to reliability, and recently they have put forth a commitment to the environment as well.

Many of you may know that Honda has had completely developed engines and chassis waiting for somewhere in a warehouse for a few years now.

They have made a v6 almost production Honda sport concept, the v8 for the Acura RL and even the v8 or v10 for the HSV production car that they will probably sell sometime...

A replacement for the K, j, and R series that hopefully incorporates Avtec

and also a concept sport version of the fcx known as the fcx sport LOL.

Now the question to me has always been what the hell are they waiting for, but I am sure they are waiting for something.

The CRZ to me may be the beginning of the revitalization of Honda. In fact they sold so many of them in japan that it set a sales record.

For the last few years, every time I compared vehicles made by Honda to other companies they only thing Honda had over them was reliability. They have been just slightly below power levels, and even gas mileage. Hopefully this is the beginning of something great.

Anyways they still just cant get past stupid kids owning them in america, old people owning them in Europe and no one believing that Acura is anything but a Honda with the top of the H squished together A.

Sorry for getting off topic.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Nice job to check out what it had, I would of done the same thing just to compare it. Good thing you were ahead of the game. Well not that I enjoy Civic's over Accord's but the new Civic is coming in 2012 and we'll see what the big H has up their sleeves.
              Current:
              2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
              1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
              1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

I drove a cr-z at my job. Honestly, idk why anybody would get one. Unless u really need to save money on gas. I rather drive a fit. . at least those look good wen dumped.

Comment

i would get one

Comment

Working...
                  X