owequitit : 2013 Accord EX-L V6 6-Speed Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

owequitit : 2013 Accord EX-L V6 6-Speed Coupe

Traded the Si in on this the other day... I like the new car but the loss of the Si is very...bittersweet...

Exterior

Stock

Interior

Stock

Engine

Stock

Suspension

Stock

Brakes

Stock

ICE

Stock
    Last edited by owequitit; 05-20-2018, 12:34 AM.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Looks great, Scott.

I'd highly recommend multiple sets of locks for those wheels. I recall reading not too long ago that at one point they were the most stolen wheels in the US. What's wild is that HenRoc had told me that they only cost something like $28 to manufacture, but it's probably $1,000 retail for a set.

What does Hondata or the like over for these as far as a reflash? With the bigger motor there has to be some power still locked in there somewhere to get out.

I looked at the Mugen grille for that car and I was not impressed. Any plans for cosmetic changes? I know typically that's not your style, but I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
      Looks great, Scott.

I'd highly recommend multiple sets of locks for those wheels. I recall reading not too long ago that at one point they were the most stolen wheels in the US. What's wild is that HenRoc had told me that they only cost something like $28 to manufacture, but it's probably $1,000 retail for a set.

What does Hondata or the like over for these as far as a reflash? With the bigger motor there has to be some power still locked in there somewhere to get out.

I looked at the Mugen grille for that car and I was not impressed. Any plans for cosmetic changes? I know typically that's not your style, but I'm curious.
      Thanks Mike!

I do really like the car, I am just not sure how much I am going to regret selling my Si!

And yes, I definitely need to get some wheel locks on there. Had I thought about it, I would have taken the locks off of the Si and put them on this. I guess I'll probably get two sets. Don't know if that will work or not. I think someone told me that Honda has 5-6 keys so, theoretically if the thiefs had all 6 they could take all of them off anyway.

Hondata does make a FlashPro for this car, and I think it unlocks some power. I also think it helps with some of the throttle delay issues which this engine does also have.

For right now, no plans for anything. Maybe a rear sway bar which has been recommended, but I think I'll just drive it for now. Maybe a projector upgrade down the road so I can put HID's in it.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
        Thanks Mike!

I do really like the car, I am just not sure how much I am going to regret selling my Si!

And yes, I definitely need to get some wheel locks on there. Had I thought about it, I would have taken the locks off of the Si and put them on this. I guess I'll probably get two sets. Don't know if that will work or not. I think someone told me that Honda has 5-6 keys so, theoretically if the thiefs had all 6 they could take all of them off anyway.

Hondata does make a FlashPro for this car, and I think it unlocks some power. I also think it helps with some of the throttle delay issues which this engine does also have.

For right now, no plans for anything. Maybe a rear sway bar which has been recommended, but I think I'll just drive it for now. Maybe a projector upgrade down the road so I can put HID's in it.
        Who makes the OEM branded wheel locks? Toyota's TRD is McGard.

The drive-by-wire delay issue can be aggravating. I notice that it's very present on the Tacoma and it's tough if you're driving more aggressively for whatever reason.

HID is so key, although honestly, some of the modern head lamps are almost as good as earlier HID setups. As you saw, I have a set in the Vette and they are 55w (vs the more standard 35w units due to the higher voltage requirement for the pop up assemblies to work correctly) and they are the equivalent of daylight. However, my old 2013 Tacoma had amazing head lamps and they were simple OEM bulbs with reflectors, so I think it's more than possible to have good headlights without going projector HID.

Do you have any leftover Si parts that can be sold to fund mods for the new one? I have a few remaining STi / 2G Tacoma parts I'm working on moving so I can put some money into the new vehicles.

Comment

Who makes the OEM branded wheel locks? Toyota's TRD is McGard.

The drive-by-wire delay issue can be aggravating. I notice that it's very present on the Tacoma and it's tough if you're driving more aggressively for whatever reason.

HID is so key, although honestly, some of the modern head lamps are almost as good as earlier HID setups. As you saw, I have a set in the Vette and they are 55w (vs the more standard 35w units due to the higher voltage requirement for the pop up assemblies to work correctly) and they are the equivalent of daylight. However, my old 2013 Tacoma had amazing head lamps and they were simple OEM bulbs with reflectors, so I think it's more than possible to have good headlights without going projector HID.

Do you have any leftover Si parts that can be sold to fund mods for the new one? I have a few remaining STi / 2G Tacoma parts I'm working on moving so I can put some money into the new vehicles.
          I think Honda's are also McGard.

This one actually has the throttle issues most noticeable when trying to drive softly! Like right at throttle tip in, there is just a slight hesitation, which makes it a little weird to time the gas and clutch. Part of it is that the Si revved like a motorcycle and this definitely does not! There are also times when you let off the gas the revs stay up for just a fraction of a second.

I have the Flashpro for the old car, so I can sell that, but other than that, it was pretty much stock.

As for HID's the halogen cutoff is HID crisp, so I wonder if a good set of aftermarket HID bulbs would work. Theretrofitsource has a bolt in kit to make it HID, so maybe down the road I will do that. I'm not really disappointed by the light, it was just kind of silly that Honda didn't just put HID's in the top sporty level coupe in 2013. The actual light output of them is pretty good though honestly.

Comment

Aw shit man, you came on over!

I am super jealous right now. I have spent the last year or so enjoying this car and reading and I have read a lot of great reviews on the 6-6.

So many dudes trade in their CVT/4CYL for the 6-6.

If I could afford to make up the difference, I certainly would myself.

Does it drive as well as they say it does?

A lot of guys use Ktuner for these and it allows you to install custom maps and to open it up squeezing out some more HP.

The other big mod I see is the PCD removal.

I did the HID thing but beware, make sure you use a good brand and get the H11-B bulbs.
            I used the cheap DDM ones and besides shitty quality, I had the infamous return rod shadow up near my cutoff.

Of course everyone says do a retrofit, but I believe if you spend good money on bulbs from TRS, you will see quality results with our stock projectors. I just don't have the money.

Comment

Yes...The 6-6 is a monster. I haven't driven a 9th gen, but it's a totally different monster than the Si.

Enjoy second and third gear gratuitously.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

i almost had a 13 coupe 6/6. i loved how to drove, all the technology it has etc. those are badass!
                COUPE K24

Comment

Nice pick up man. and yeah McGard makes locks for both Toyota and Honda. And it is true about the cost, I worked at a local dealer last summer and came to work to find 2 sedans that were sitting on cinder blocks.

Through co-workers at that job I met a guy who's a Q/A for Honda of America and he himself told me. (I also envy that he was able to check out the pre-production NSXs..haha)

Also crazier is that Hondas quality has suffered build wise and there's a huge rift between Honda of America and Honda of Japan, they stopped taking imported CRVs from Ohio and manufacture their own for the home market.

Just saw on Facebook that Honda Manufacturing of Alabama is stuffing a 9th gen V6 into a 7th gen body.

Pretty interesting.
                  Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                  Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                  made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                    Also crazier is that Hondas quality has suffered build wise and there's a huge rift between Honda of America and Honda of Japan, they stopped taking imported CRVs from Ohio and manufacture their own for the home market.

Just saw on Facebook that Honda Manufacturing of Alabama is stuffing a 9th gen V6 into a 7th gen body.

Pretty interesting.
                    I read a bunch of complaints about the CVT in the new CR-V when I was looking at the CUV segment. We both liked it, but found the Mazda to be much more fun to drive, which is a hallmark of "old" Honda. The new Honda was a great appliance. I'd be curious if the JDM made CR-Vs have the same CVT issues.

/sorrytogoofftopic

I wonder if Honda avoided HID to avoid competition with Acura, although at this point, Acura doesn't offer anything the Accord coupe would cannibalize sales from.

Comment

I wonder if Honda avoided HID to avoid competition with Acura, although at this point, Acura doesn't offer anything the Accord coupe would cannibalize sales from.
                      I believe that is what they have done for a while. Another good example are the turn signals in the mirrors. I believe the 9th gen is the first gen Accord to have them(though I might be wrong and im speaking of USDM)

I always felt items such as that; side mirror turn signals, HIDS, etc were premium items that Honda left out to help bring people over to the Acura side.

These days though, there is not much left to pull people over.

On the 9th gen accord FB page, they did a side by side of a TLX an a v6 touring and the Accord is obv the better buy.

Comment

If you look at the European market, CR-Vs come in diesel AND a six speed manual gas model.

TLX had a few minor problems when it debuted with that push button transmission the parking pawl wouldn't engage so it would actually roll while it was in 'Park'.

CVTs are prone tons of problems especially when they debuted on the MY 13 Accord.

Honda has really suffered quality wise...hell even the new Civic had an engine recall one was reported for an engine fire (wrist pin issue blew a hole in the block leaked oil onto the manifold and caught fire) it was actually sold here in NH and towed back to the same dealer when the fire happened apparently the new Freon they use is also very flammable .

I snagged a picture of the carnage...total loss for sure.

I'm a Honda loyalist..even thinking about a used RL as a replacement for my Avalon in the future. Quality just suffered so much..especially after what I had heard from someone with good insider info.

Sorry to hijack the thread Scott.
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                          Honda has really suffered quality wise...
                          Agreed...that's why I went German...for the cheap plastic in critical engine components.

New Honda is just blah nowadays with a few gems left on the lot. The interiors aren't as bad as Nissan's, but they have taken a serious downgrade in quality and ruggedness. I understand that they have to make it feel more upscale and luxurious to be competitive...it doesn't have to fall apart at 100k though. Maybe I just want everything to feel like a CB/CD.

They got the interior design right with the 10th gen Civic. My short time in the cockpit was wonderful...It felt like a real Honda. I'm waiting on the turbo with manual trans to test drive it. The exterior isn't bad, I wish it was a bit simpler without all those faux vents.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                            Aw shit man, you came on over!

I am super jealous right now. I have spent the last year or so enjoying this car and reading and I have read a lot of great reviews on the 6-6.

So many dudes trade in their CVT/4CYL for the 6-6.

If I could afford to make up the difference, I certainly would myself.

Does it drive as well as they say it does?

A lot of guys use Ktuner for these and it allows you to install custom maps and to open it up squeezing out some more HP.

The other big mod I see is the PCD removal.

I did the HID thing but beware, make sure you use a good brand and get the H11-B bulbs.
                            I used the cheap DDM ones and besides shitty quality, I had the infamous return rod shadow up near my cutoff.

Of course everyone says do a retrofit, but I believe if you spend good money on bulbs from TRS, you will see quality results with our stock projectors. I just don't have the money.
                            Well to be fair, I was the one that convinced my parents to hold out for a 2013 V6 and they LOVE that car.

This one is probably about as fast overall as the V6 auto (which is backed up in testing), but is a lot more responsive and flexible when you would be waiting for the transmission in the auto. Sport mode on that car is pretty aggressive, but there is just something to be said about picking your own gear. I just took this on a 750 mile road trip and have a lot of thoughts about it.

1) This things is legitimately fast. It is quick in instrumented acceleration runs, but that doesn't tell the story about how flexible it is. From 2000RPM to redline it is just a freight train. It simply has a torque curve that can't even be beat by small blocks. Yes they have more area by virtue of more displacement, but this curve really is as plateau flat as it looks on dyno charts. You can feel it in the Auto too, but not as much because the PCM tends to downshift it into a better spot. Being in the midwest, there were a number of instances where truck guys (especially diesel douches) think they are just going to roll right past... Not so much. The power delivery here is definitely effortless, and it doesn't really matter much what gear or part of the rev range you are in. Definitely a MASSIVE character change from the Si. It still has that beautiful J series wail at the top end, and it loves to smash the rev-limiter because it is still pulling hard.

It also has a subtle growl to it and they definitely tuned the intake and exhaust a little differently compared to the Auto V6, which is more serene until you stomp it. This one isn't obtrusive or loud (nowhere near as much exhaust note as the Si), but you definitely know what it is doing with a faint exhaust burble in the background.

The clutch is very light and easy to use, although this has some noticeable rev hang as the Si did when stock. I Flashpro'd that for the same reason (and to gain some area under the curve by moving VTEC down) and that made the car a lot easier to drive. This will probably eventually get the same thing because the greenies have ruined the throttle response on modern cars.

The shifter is good, and it is precise, but it reminds me a little bit of a BMW shifter versus Honda's best. In this area, the Si was quite a bit better in that it felt more positive, more durable and more satisfying.

The one area where the MT is far inferior to the Auto is in MPG. The combination of gearing, programming, VCM and the PCM being able to tailor it all together pays about a 15% city MPG advantage and a 20+% highway MPG to the auto car. You don't really lose a lot of outright speed for that, but you do lose a lot of fun and a bit of flexibility. On the highway I have averaged about 30MPG so far, which is right in line with the Si. However, the Si also did about 29-30MPG in the city with little effort, where this is down in the low 20's. I am still learning what works best for this car from a driving standpoint, so I expect that will improve slightly, but I doubt I will get to improve by leaps and bounds.

2) It handles a lot better than I thought it would, but you can still feel the weight on the nose a bit. It probably benefits from a rear sway like all Honda cars, and the Si had that sway, so I might not be accurately remembering how the Si was when it was 100% stock. I seem to remember it being a little too nose heavy feeling too and the rear sway cleaned that right up. This one has wider rubber, and minimal body roll, so it isn't bad to hustle fast. The steering is a lot slower though, so I find myself having to think a little bit more about what I need it to do ahead of time. That might be me getting used to it.

For having decent handling, the ride is A LOT more refined and serene than the Civic. I am sure some of it is more travel, but you do lose some of the immediate response and fluid handling composure the Si had.

If this car has one chassis related dynamic failure, it is that the brakes are a little small for this much power and speed and weight combined. They aren't bad, per se, but they sometimes leave me thinking "oops, I should have braked harder." Some of that might be adjustment, but Honda has had a history of undersizing Accord brakes for a long time now.

3) The interior on this car is high quality generally speaking. Definitely a trend reversal for Honda and the Accord, where each successive generation got a little bit cheaper in some areas until hard plastic had crept in by 1998. The 7th gens still hit it pretty well, but they had more hard plastic still, and then the 8th gens were almost on the level of GM cars. Lots of ill fitting, low grade hard plastic, shitty carpet, questionable leather (never a Honda strong suit), and just generally obvious signs of cost cutting.

This one reversed that in a huge way (which is one reason I had my parents hold out). The new Civic also signals that Honda gets that they can't just build shitty plastic cars anymore, which is good (as do the Pilot, the HR-V, Fit and all other Honda's that debuted after this one). Hopefully the trend will continue even more. This one doesn't have blatantly bad plastics, materials, and most surfaces are soft touch. But the carpet is still cheap and the silver painted plastic looks lame.

Overall, it is a great car though.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                              Well to be fair, I was the one that convinced my parents to hold out for a 2013 V6 and they LOVE that car.

This one is probably about as fast overall as the V6 auto (which is backed up in testing), but is a lot more responsive and flexible when you would be waiting for the transmission in the auto. Sport mode on that car is pretty aggressive, but there is just something to be said about picking your own gear. I just took this on a 750 mile road trip and have a lot of thoughts about it.

1) This things is legitimately fast. It is quick in instrumented acceleration runs, but that doesn't tell the story about how flexible it is. From 2000RPM to redline it is just a freight train. It simply has a torque curve that can't even be beat by small blocks. Yes they have more area by virtue of more displacement, but this curve really is as plateau flat as it looks on dyno charts. You can feel it in the Auto too, but not as much because the PCM tends to downshift it into a better spot. Being in the midwest, there were a number of instances where truck guys (especially diesel douches) think they are just going to roll right past... Not so much. The power delivery here is definitely effortless, and it doesn't really matter much what gear or part of the rev range you are in. Definitely a MASSIVE character change from the Si. It still has that beautiful J series wail at the top end, and it loves to smash the rev-limiter because it is still pulling hard.

It also has a subtle growl to it and they definitely tuned the intake and exhaust a little differently compared to the Auto V6, which is more serene until you stomp it. This one isn't obtrusive or loud (nowhere near as much exhaust note as the Si), but you definitely know what it is doing with a faint exhaust burble in the background.

The clutch is very light and easy to use, although this has some noticeable rev hang as the Si did when stock. I Flashpro'd that for the same reason (and to gain some area under the curve by moving VTEC down) and that made the car a lot easier to drive. This will probably eventually get the same thing because the greenies have ruined the throttle response on modern cars.

The shifter is good, and it is precise, but it reminds me a little bit of a BMW shifter versus Honda's best. In this area, the Si was quite a bit better in that it felt more positive, more durable and more satisfying.

The one area where the MT is far inferior to the Auto is in MPG. The combination of gearing, programming, VCM and the PCM being able to tailor it all together pays about a 15% city MPG advantage and a 20+% highway MPG to the auto car. You don't really lose a lot of outright speed for that, but you do lose a lot of fun and a bit of flexibility. On the highway I have averaged about 30MPG so far, which is right in line with the Si. However, the Si also did about 29-30MPG in the city with little effort, where this is down in the low 20's. I am still learning what works best for this car from a driving standpoint, so I expect that will improve slightly, but I doubt I will get to improve by leaps and bounds.

2) It handles a lot better than I thought it would, but you can still feel the weight on the nose a bit. It probably benefits from a rear sway like all Honda cars, and the Si had that sway, so I might not be accurately remembering how the Si was when it was 100% stock. I seem to remember it being a little too nose heavy feeling too and the rear sway cleaned that right up. This one has wider rubber, and minimal body roll, so it isn't bad to hustle fast. The steering is a lot slower though, so I find myself having to think a little bit more about what I need it to do ahead of time. That might be me getting used to it.

For having decent handling, the ride is A LOT more refined and serene than the Civic. I am sure some of it is more travel, but you do lose some of the immediate response and fluid handling composure the Si had.

If this car has one chassis related dynamic failure, it is that the brakes are a little small for this much power and speed and weight combined. They aren't bad, per se, but they sometimes leave me thinking "oops, I should have braked harder." Some of that might be adjustment, but Honda has had a history of undersizing Accord brakes for a long time now.

3) The interior on this car is high quality generally speaking. Definitely a trend reversal for Honda and the Accord, where each successive generation got a little bit cheaper in some areas until hard plastic had crept in by 1998. The 7th gens still hit it pretty well, but they had more hard plastic still, and then the 8th gens were almost on the level of GM cars. Lots of ill fitting, low grade hard plastic, shitty carpet, questionable leather (never a Honda strong suit), and just generally obvious signs of cost cutting.

This one reversed that in a huge way (which is one reason I had my parents hold out). The new Civic also signals that Honda gets that they can't just build shitty plastic cars anymore, which is good (as do the Pilot, the HR-V, Fit and all other Honda's that debuted after this one). Hopefully the trend will continue even more. This one doesn't have blatantly bad plastics, materials, and most surfaces are soft touch. But the carpet is still cheap and the silver painted plastic looks lame.

Overall, it is a great car though.
                              Yea that is pretty much what I have heard. I really can only imagine as I have the 4CYL CVT, and when I shift it into Sport mode, it is pretty surprising how well it accelerates and I feel like this car has a pretty strong curve like you said. Especially when im in 2nd gear(ish) and I slam on it. Good god does it sound good and I am 100% OEM.

I can only imagine how fast the v6 gets up and how well it sounds without mods.

The brakes suck ass. If you are ever froggy, go on over to the 9th Gen FB group. There are plenty of posts about how the brakes are straight trash on this car(all trims apparently)

I know when I am doing 60ish and I have to come to a quick stop(not locking up), It shudders pretty bad. I guess these rotors are trash and warp easily. I can't wait to change everything out.

You thinking you will upgrade size or just quality?

Handling is definitely great. I could probably use a rear sway as well. It is stiff up front and definitely nose heavy at times, but I have not once worried about losing it when I have participated in spirited driving.

The interior is the best I have had. I mean my 93 SE was plush, Leather, wood grain trim, but this Accord is showing how Honda is pushing to be on par with a lot of the nicer models available from other makes.

I do dislike the cheap shiny trim but I pretty much love everything else. Only issue I have had with my interior, is the black paint chipping off the cruise button and the forward button on the steering wheel.

The only other complaints I have found in my car is -

1. CVT seems to shudder when coming to a stop, mostly slow stops like stop signs etc. I had an update done last time it was serviced, and there is a update for the 2015-2016 CVT but I guess the 2013-2014 is not included in that.

2. The Imid is subpar. I don't know if any auto manufacturer has gotten it right but I know C&D seems to rate other makes over Honda for simplicity and ease of use. My major gripe with the infotainment system is that long text gets cut off, as opposed to scrolling, which has been around for like 15 years lol. Also I feel that the system could benefit from more features. I think its silly that you can control HVAC unless you have the NAV system and things like that. I guess its their way of luring people over.

3. Ive gotten to really like the lanewatch so much so that I wish I had a way to trigger the backup camera on command like you can lanewatch. its not often but once in a while I would like to glance behind me without having to put the car in reverse. Its a small gripe and its not like putting it in reverse is difficult but I like the manual control of the lanewatch and Im sure it could be added in some how some way.

Other than that, she drives great still. I am at 36k miles and all ive done is change oil and cabin filter. I am about to change my trans oil and check lines and hoses. Not sure if she needs much else. I need to check the brake diameter and see if I should upgrade my rotors/pads or if I can get away with another season.

I consistently get about 30-33 MPG. I do mostly rural driving, 40-60mph. I have been able to pull around 560 miles on a single tank.

What tires did yours come with?

I love that this tire is wider than any of the cars I have had previously. I like the way it looks and the handling again has been really good. I have the OEM tires still and they have been really good. Still have plenty of tread left and I picked the car up last August!
                              Last edited by Ralphie; 09-09-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X