Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slight misfire at idle, Possible cause of bad fuel economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slight misfire at idle, Possible cause of bad fuel economy?

So ever since I got my CB, at idle, especially when cold, the engine seems to have a slight misfire every few seconds in no particular pattern. It doesn't do this when in gear and driving. There's no loss of power, it still smoothly revs up to redline. I checked my plugs, they seem OK but should probably be replaced soon. I also have bad fuel economy. Last time I got about 228 miles from a full tank of gas. The plugs are certainly not fowled or broken though. They are bosch plugs which I think I read somewhere on the forums that our F22 engines like NGK plugs and do not like the Bosch plugs. I also read somewhere that my problem could be a vacuum leak. I think I hear a hissing near the middle-right side of the intake manifold area, but its very faint and it could be the sound of an idler pulley bearing or something. Any ideas on what the problem could be and how I could find it? Also, is a slight hissing noise normal for our cars? Its VERY faint, can't hear it much over the *CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK* of the valves

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Bosch plugs are hit and miss. Had a set, engine didn't like them at all. Seemed like I was always cleaning them, running SeaFoam through the car, and all sorts of things to fix the issues I was having. Finally swapped them out for NGK and all those issues went away. Found out very early owning the car that NGK plugs are the only way to go.

A bad or failing O2 sensor can cause a miss/bad idle.
    Check your distributor? Plug wires?

Hissing sound you say? What sort of intake setup do you have (hybrid A6/H23, stock?). You could have a leaky plenum or runner gasket.
    There are a lot of vac lines. Could always shoot some carb cleaner around and see if the idle jumps any.

Hissing could also be from the injectors. Bad O ring/seal.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      Bosch plugs are hit and miss. Had a set, engine didn't like them at all. Seemed like I was always cleaning them, running SeaFoam through the car, and all sorts of things to fix the issues I was having. Finally swapped them out for NGK and all those issues went away. Found out very early owning the car that NGK plugs are the only way to go.

A bad or failing O2 sensor can cause a miss/bad idle.
      Check your distributor? Plug wires?

Hissing sound you say? What sort of intake setup do you have (hybrid A6/H23, stock?). You could have a leaky plenum or runner gasket.
      There are a lot of vac lines. Could always shoot some carb cleaner around and see if the idle jumps any.

Hissing could also be from the injectors. Bad O ring/seal.
      Plug wires and dizzy are new, The previous owner had it done as preventative maintenance, The plugs were changed around the same time. I have the stock F22A1 intake, no mods whatsoever. Im gonna try changing my plugs to NGK's and see what happens.

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Comment

New doesn't always mean they are ok...
        And I was pretty certain you hadn't modded anything on it yet, just wanted to make sure.

If you change out the plugs, don't forget to check for vacuum leak. Could be a bad intake gasket since you said there is a slight hiss near the middle-right side of the intake manifold.
        Even say a broken intake manifold where an injector port was...
        Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Working...
        X