Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB3 - Bounces while driving

Hello! =)

Long story short.. I have a '91 CB3 (EU CB7) that has been standing for quite some time. The car has a swapped H22A with LSD, H&R Springs and coils.

The problem is that it "bounces" slightly up 'n down when driving. Appears to come from the front right side. As if I'm driving on a damaged rim (although mine isn't) which causes the car to bounce. It happens regardless of speed, although it escalates in higher speeds. It doesn't matter if I put it in netrual (it's a stick) or push the clutch in, the bounce is still there.. I have replaced the upper control arms/joints on both sides and also the lower control arm, still the same.

We have also lifted the front end up and let the engine idle in both 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear to let the weels go around, no visual bouncing/wobbling then.. So it only happens when weight is added.

Any ideas? Can driveshafts/axles cause this?

sounds like you might have a bad tire
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
      sounds like you might have a bad tire
      X2. May have a slight 'flat spot' in one of your tyres. I had a set of Avon tyres that developed a flat spot (for some reason) and it acted EXACTLY how you are describing it.
      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        X2. May have a slight 'flat spot' in one of your tyres. I had a set of Avon tyres that developed a flat spot (for some reason) and it acted EXACTLY how you are describing it.
        Damn... Really? :b
        I'll bring a complete set of different rims/tyres next time I'm going to work
        on the car. Hopefully you guys are right about this, because this is something
        that's been grinding my mind for quite some time now :b

Comment

Been thinking this one over a bit after I posted. May want to check for a blown or leaking strut and maybe a ball joint issue.
          When it comes to these sort of things (suspension) there are a lot of working components that should be checked.

Have you checked your tie-rod?
          Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

I would suspect a blown or leaking shock as well. The lack of damping will cause the spring to bounce a lot longer than it normally will.

Comment

Y'all beat me to it on the strut. I would check that next if it doesn't change with a new set of tires. Reminds me of all the old ford expeditions that sag in the rear
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Shocks, not struts.
                But yes... that would be the cause of bouncing. A blown shock will allow the car to bounce over bumps, and at high speeds, the tire is probably actually bouncing a bit. I bet the car dives in that direction when you brake hard, too. If you lowered on stock shocks, they're definitely bad.

Best to replace all 4 shocks at once if you can. If you can't afford all 4, at least replace both sides. You want them to match.

Comment

Actually I have a super easy way of determining if a bad tire is the problem, rotate the tire to an opposing side and see if the vibration moves to that side, if it does then suspect the tire or rim to be the issue. Same measure works to determine source of misfires, move parts one by one to the opposing bank until the misfire moves and you have your faulty part; old man trick right there.
                  [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Working...
                  X