Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear engine mount bad, How big of a fight am I in for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear engine mount bad, How big of a fight am I in for?

So Im thinking of replacing my rear engine mount (Auto DX). I have a spare DX 5 spd rear mount but that probably wont solve my vibration problem at idle in gear. I need the vacuum operated hydraulic one. I tested the solenoid, which seemed to work okay, I ended up breaking one of the plastic pipes off and JB welded it back, still working okay
    there is power coming to the solenoid, and the power cuts above idle speed which I believe is normal, Now the hose going to the mount, does NOT hold vacuum, I used a vacuum pump to test it, I hear hissing coming from the mount I think, and nothing changes in terms of vibrations, So Im preeeeeettttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyy certain the mount is bad

I looked at other threads about this topic, but I feel like im not seeing the full picture here... I know you have to remove the intake manifold, but I read somewhere you need to remove the throttle body too, I read somewhere else you need to remove the IACV and the FITV, I read somewhere else that the manifold cant even come out because of the clearance between the firewall and the actual engine. and the vacuum hoses! do I need to mark down where each specific one goes? And the IM gasket? will this need to be replaced? is it a steel gasket or a rubber type?
    Is that the only gasket I will need to replace?

and on a slightly different topic, The EGR ports, I see this as a good chance to clean them, but I cant really find a thread detailing on how to actually do this "properly" with the IM off the engine and on a bench

I dont have a lift, How difficult will this be...?

is it weird that I removed the entire engine from a cb7 without an engine lift, with no prior experience (without any help might I add)

but the thought of removing an IM intimidates me?

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

I changed mine thru the bottom in an hour n a half like how Honda came up with. Raise car remove driver axle and oil filter, oil pressure sender. Disconnect front dogbone mount pitch engine and swap em out.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
      I changed mine thru the bottom in an hour n a half like how Honda came up with. Raise car remove driver axle and oil filter, oil pressure sender. Disconnect front dogbone mount pitch engine and swap em out.
      Don't you need a lift for that? Would jackstands allow enough flexibility and room for that?

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Comment

I did it with 4 2ton jackstands like 7/8 out (im big need room to move) and a floor jack for an assistant. Easy peasy. I too was dreading thru the top and found an obscure TSB drawing with a paragraph explination.

Comment

Could you share that with us? I'd like to see it.
          My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
          Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
          Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Rear mount is replaceable without taking the intake manifold off. It can be removed from the bottom as detailed above. It can also be snaked out through the top if the plastic intake tube is removed. I've done it multiple times and never removed the intake manifold.

Comment

Working...
            X