No announcement yet.

First Retrofit, TypeR projectors....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just realized what you might be thinking of when you mention heat.

Inside an HID bulb, the arcing of electricity causes the gas around it to be at enormously high temperatures. Remember though, that heat and temperature are not the same things. While the temperature of the gas inside the bulb maybe be at very high temperatures, since there is so little gas, there isn't very much heat. Heat is a measure of energy contained due to high temperature. As such, heat is completely dependent on mass.

If you have an eye dropper full of 5 ml of 1000 degree water and drop the water into a 60 degree lake, nothing's going to happen. That's high temperature with not much heat. Similarly, if you took 100,000 gallons of 120 degree water, and dumped it into a 60 degree lake, odds are there would be some temperature/water current differences. That's an example of medium temperature, but much more heat.

So while operating temperatures inside an HID bulb are very high, since its heat is quite low, surrounding operating temperatures are also low, especially when compared to halogens bulbs.

Comment

nice work

Comment

Originally posted by 90blackcoupe View Post
        and lucid, I never came here to show you hate I've cb7tuner like you, all I was trying to tell you is don't fucking run your mouth about whats easy and whats not when you haven't done fuck all as yet, and if you can't understand that, the end fuck it this will be my last post on your thread anyways didnt mean to crap it
        too bad you're not a man of your word.
        I wasn't talking about the projectors when I said mine was bigger and probably harder.
        The more you talk the dumber you make yourself look, and I really wish it made you feel better.
        It's not my fault you know/feel you are inferior and have to act retarded.
        I think we should all get together and pray extra hard for 90 black poop.

I wouldn't mind being 21 again, haha. If I'm going to have a battle of wits, I would prefer to choose a worthy opponent rather than kick someone in the face from up a flight of stairs.

To EVERYONE else: Thanks for the support. I did not expect to find my own thread distasteful from some ...how do I put this...well, I've never seen someone so ignorant be so sure they were intelligent, it's fucking ridiculously funny!

This project is so close to done I can taste it. I recently hooked up all the wiring and bulbs to the projectors and ran them off my jumper pack while I fine tuned the light output with a second set of cutoff shielding. Here come the pics...

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
        After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
        Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
        PM me and get it done right!

Comment

This is the first fire-up of the cheapo hid bulbs in the stock Integra halogen housing.
          There is a yellow glare above the cutoff, and some stray light in the lower area too.

I tried blocking the unwanted light initially by just positioning masking tape over the lens, and was pretty happy with the results.

Keep in mind these shots are only from about 8ft away, in my living room, shooting a greenish wall running on 12V from a j-pack.

I don't intend to make a shield or paint over the curved front of the glass, so I measured and aligned the shielding on the flat back of the lens.

The tape is temporary, I want to paint the shields on, and am trying to be sure I have the right materials to make it endure since the lights need to be maintenance-free.
          I think I am going to sand the lens, use bulldog adhesion promoter, then the barbecue paint to try to get a good bond on the glass.
          Suggestions welcome on this, it's the last thing I think I'll have to fuss with figuring out before all these bits turn into a set of headlights again.

I know the glare is because the bulbs I am using are not what was intended for the projectors.
          I'm guessing the light centers for the bulbs are different, and I could probably get improved results by respacing the bulb, but...everything fits together nicely and looks good to me like this, as long as I can get my paint to stick.

The shielding on the back of the lens gives the headlight a pretty unique "sleepy" look that I think is kinda sweet.

These shots are from about 30ft away to show the output at a greater distance. The cutoff line is about 6ft off the ground here.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happy with the results, let me know what you guys think.

BTW, I've never had problems reflecting after melting a bowl, so I don't know what that's about.
          Last edited by lucid; 08-30-2009, 01:11 AM.

Comment

I hadn't thought about physically adding a cut off on a lens before. Its not a bad idea.

The last thing I want to do is be like one of the newer model BMW drivers and drive around blinding everyone in front of me. Maybe they're just using their high beams, but my point is keeping track of your cut off line is a respectable thing to be doing.

I suppose the only tricky part will be making sure that the line is pretty much perfectly level when you install your lenses.

Comment

e-thug's i'm so scared haha dumb children when will you learn

1993 CB6 Coupe Seattle Silver YR-94M

Originally posted by Acclude
              4gens are win. It's in the bible somewhere.
              yeah its verse 10.6:1

Members Ride Thread
              1993 Accord Coupe- Summer ride
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=130064
              1995 Civic Coupe - Winter/DD
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...53#post2744953

Comment

Get the fuck off my headlight thread, etard. I don't understand what your little brain is trying to grunt out half the time since you can't even type complete english sentences. I saw your members ride thread and you should be too busy to talk out of your ass right now. You act combative without provocation. Your criticisms are opinionated and not constructive whatsoever. Hell, even the mods don't want you here. I'm tired of wasting my energy acknowledging you. How about I send a free jar of turd polish to your address? You could use it on your ride and double it's usefulness as a bodywash.

I am sorry to everyone who was expecting a headlight thread, believe me, you're not the only one. For those of you who are just joining us...I'm trying to work on this headlight conversion for my own enjoyment and this guy who is smart "feeling", who has an inferiority complex and self-esteem issues seems compelled to use my thread to crap out of his mouth.
                It is a little irritating, pretty funny, but just terribly sad. He is effectively blind, closed-minded, and and stuck on himself right now (see narcissist). It's a shame but it makes all the rest of us that much cooler by comparison.
                You know, there would be no good without bad, no intelligence without ignorance.

I won't have to worry about the problems of painting the lenses now. I found some 3" round punched 18gauge copper plates and have enlisted the help of a metalsmith to have one piece shields hand cut with a jeweler's saw.
                Once the plates are cut to my specs and painted, I can drop them in place behind the lenses, align them, and lock them in place.
                Hopefully I'll have them done in the next couple days so I can get to reassembly.

Comment

if you're good with a dremmel
                  i'd suggest you engrave a middle finger in the copper plate

take a picture
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

nice job, keep up the nice work

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
                      Get the fuck off my headlight thread, etard. I don't understand what your little brain is trying to grunt out half the time since you can't even type complete english sentences. I saw your members ride thread and you should be too busy to talk out of your ass right now. You act combative without provocation. Your criticisms are opinionated and not constructive whatsoever. Hell, even the mods don't want you here. I'm tired of wasting my energy acknowledging you. How about I send a free jar of turd polish to your address? You could use it on your ride and double it's usefulness as a bodywash.

I am sorry to everyone who was expecting a headlight thread, believe me, you're not the only one. For those of you who are just joining us...I'm trying to work on this headlight conversion for my own enjoyment and this guy who is smart "feeling", who has an inferiority complex and self-esteem issues seems compelled to use my thread to crap out of his mouth.
                      It is a little irritating, pretty funny, but just terribly sad. He is effectively blind, closed-minded, and and stuck on himself right now (see narcissist). It's a shame but it makes all the rest of us that much cooler by comparison.
                      You know, there would be no good without bad, no intelligence without ignorance.

I won't have to worry about the problems of painting the lenses now. I found some 3" round punched 18gauge copper plates and have enlisted the help of a metalsmith to have one piece shields hand cut with a jeweler's saw.
                      Once the plates are cut to my specs and painted, I can drop them in place behind the lenses, align them, and lock them in place.
                      Hopefully I'll have them done in the next couple days so I can get to reassembly.
                      GETTUM! lol.

Can't wait to see the finished product. I have an old headlight I may hack up and see what I can do with it. I keep reading this thread and a couple of other ones and am tired of the lenses I have sitting around lol.

Comment

wow dude seriously your just a hater, you checked out my mr thread and what you hated cause your daddy drives a s2k and don't give you money to pour in your cb? grow up little girl. you keep swearing and talking shit, telling me about I can't type a sentence I don't need to it's the intrawebz duh, don't worry about the admins they doing their jobs, and so what if its your thread you don't have to ethug and talk smack online, your just hating on my opinion dude, go get a real life, don't hate someone's opinion and start cussing and talking shit, you know it would be a pleasure to see you in real life man hope you come to toronto one day, i'd be glad to take a trip to the states let me know when your ready, link up
                        Last edited by 90blackcoupe; 09-02-2009, 10:34 AM.

Members Ride Thread

Comment

Race you!

I use my stock dividends to hook up my ride, ye of adolescent intellect. You have no idea how to be cool at all. You should get some friends. Hater? There's the pot calling the kettle black for you. Find one post on this site of me being condescending at all that is not in response to you...Good luck, you'll be busy!

I nominate 90blackcoupe for biggest douche on the site! He probably got ass-raped on honda-tech for being that loud of an idiot. I hope this is providing an interesting read or something for an off-topic thread, because it sure isn't about headlights. Maybe we can start a "bullshit" section and have this thread or maybe just all posts by douches go straight there so the kids can get their drama fix. People with those kind of manners and tunnel-vision are the only thing I've experienced here on CB7tuner.com that make the site seem crappy.

Who would want to hang out and have a conversation with an intellectual invalid? I think we should all just ignore him at this point, it's giving him something to do that makes him feel good to argue with someone as if he had a life. And there is no benefit for anyone intelligent to respond, though i had high hopes for being able to smooth things with reason, it is obviously a waste of time. Your life sucks if you act like that. You get back what you put in to the universe, so good luck with all the issues everyone but you knows you have.

headlights! whee!

Comment

this looks like a nice setup ... i had similar problems with the size of the projectors being to big... good thing is that you got some shrouds... i had to make my own.

oh and BTW... if that guys even looked at my crap of headlights he would have a shitload to talk about .... everything he is saying is bad I have done and have had no problems what so ever. Just do what you want and if it fails then who cares ... you at least tried it. .... start over and do it again !!

lets see some pics when you are done !! ever thought of yellow housing the high beams ??

Originally posted by Devergote
                            A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

you say im not a man of my word since I showed up back well how could I be when you keep talking smack and swear and calling me all these names, all because my opnion hurts you? but thats about all your able to do and I assume you feel really smart since you called me "adolescent intellect" when your the one to keep swearing (btw not to mention your retrofitting halogen projectors in glass headlight obviously theres something missing there) whats wrong your childish ways acting up? Its great that your mommy and daddy have a lot of money to pay for good school, maybe your daddy will buy you an s2000 too one day? Be mature learn to talk why you have to swear?too much hate bulding up? go find a chick dude get laid, relax too much stress from retrofitting?, you keep talking and talking and thats about all you'll even do is ethug all day, good job!

btw this goes out to anyone else who keeps talking smack to me on this thread as well thats all you'll ever do keep on hating my opnion.

Your getting upset at me and swearing at me cause I told you not to waste your time? You say I showed up here and talk smack about your work well its not about you not doing what your doing but why do something that does not serve purpose? Your modifying your cars headlight by spending all this time/money to get what in the end? (function over form) nothing basically cause you guys are here telling me that plenty of people have put hid in their halogen projector and never melted the housing, yeah well prove it show me pics? do these people even drive at night?lol show me threads its easy to talk on cb7tuner and thats what most of you guys do, you need to understand halogen and hid do not mix, thats the reason hid projectors were created, got that? good, but I guess you'll learn the hard way one day, not to mention that you waste so much money on a retro that you'll never get anything for anyways since its a pos(what you going to tell me next its for your own enjoynment, well duh isn't it suppose to be...) as well as your output sux you could have easy found tsx projectors for $50 and then at least you would have had a decent retro good luck with failing cause thats about all you'll ever do in your life,

o and you say I dont have any idea how to be cool at all? what do you mean be fake like you? come on talking smack and then play it off? I didnt know it was cool to do that

Members Ride Thread

Comment

I wasn't talking about the projectors when I said mine was bigger and probably harder.
                                or really?
                                so whats this?

My dad and brother both drive S2000s, and only since working on my lights have I realized how much smaller and easier one of the S2k's size would have been.
                                big fail there good luck with life I'm outta here

Members Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X