CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 10-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
emosun
CB7tuner Member

emosun is cool... so far.
two little engine problems

Problem one , it sometimes will act as if the idle it set to low when i put it in drive and the rpms go way down for a second. otherwise drives totally fine and only sometimes happens.

If i didn't know any better I would say the idle is set to low but I know they are spose to idle around 600 ish.

Problem two , my oil light yesterday flickered for a brief second at least twice. It wasn't on solid , or flashing consistently. It just flickered. It's never happend before. I checked the dipstick and it has oil in it.
emosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
wagon-r
CB7tuner Member

wagon-r seems to have made some friends! wagon-r seems to have made some friends!
I'm paranoid about oil lights flickering. Low oil pressure is one of the fastest ways to destroy an engine.

I do give a bit of allowance if the light flickers only at idle. The oil pump is spinning slower at idle and the engine can tolerate a bit of low oil pressure at idle. But if it is flickering at all at any other time, I would park the vehicle until the problem is identified.

Most people probably don't agree with me. And you likely can drive it without creating a problem. But you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
wagon-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
emosun
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon-r View Post
But you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
no but i do have two spare engines
Old 10-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Sometimes it is just the oil pressure switch that is bad. Best thing to do is to actually check the oil pressure; a lot easier to do than changing the engine.
92 EX coupe auto 190,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210341
07 Element EX AWD 173,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
emosun
CB7tuner Member

Any ideas on the idle issue because i'm thinking of just setting it higher to bandaid the problem
Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
johnl
CB7tuner Member

johnl seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emosun View Post
Problem one , it sometimes will act as if the idle it set to low when i put it in drive and the rpms go way down for a second. otherwise drives totally fine and only sometimes happens.

If i didn't know any better I would say the idle is set to low but I know they are spose to idle around 600 ish.

Problem two , my oil light yesterday flickered for a brief second at least twice. It wasn't on solid , or flashing consistently. It just flickered. It's never happend before. I checked the dipstick and it has oil in it.
Of the top of my head idle should be 700rpm + or - 50. If your idle is 600 rpm then this means two things:

1) The 'base' idle speed is set too low.
2) The IACV is not working.

Note that I don't mean one of two things, but both of two things.

Base idle speed is set with the blue 'diagnostic' connector (under the dash, in the footwell) 'shorted out' with a piece of wire, and actually adjusted with the large slot headed 'plug' on the throttle body. Turn this anti-clockwise to increase idle speed, clockwise to decrease it. After base idle has been set, remove the wire so that the ECU can adjust idle speed if needed (which it will assuming the IACV is working).

The IACV may be faulty, or it may just need to be cleaned (two screens inside the valve, easily seen with the IACV removed). The IACV should allow the ECU to increase idle to spec whenever it falls below spec (for whatever reason).

Oil pressure at idle will be quite low when the oil is hot. If your idle speed is too low then the pressure could fall below the pressure at which the pressure warning light triggers. Your pressure warning light may or may not be indicating an actual problem with oil pressure.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:06 AM   #7
emosun
CB7tuner Member

ok i tightened the plastic thing down and that has made it start much smoother , however the car now has a cough or a miss kind of sound , any ideas?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
emosun
CB7tuner Member

Ok the engine coughing is getting worse and my oil light came on an started flashing. I stopped the car and turned it off and the dipstick had no oil but then I turned the car back on and it has oil and the lihgt is off. Any ideas guys?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
johnl
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
ok i tightened the plastic thing down and that has made it start much smoother
Describing something as "the plastic thing" is not any sort of help. You're going to need to be much more specific...
Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
emosun
CB7tuner Member

I dont really know what its called but its plastic an you use a flathead to tighten it down and its on top of the engine. That being said the plastic thing seems to be working but now the egine has like a miss every 10 or so seconds and the oil light is losing its mind
Old 11-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
johnl
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
and the oil light is losing its mind
You should get the actual oil pressure checked.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #12
emosun
CB7tuner Member

ok i figured out the oil light would come on when i go around corners , and that the dipstick would collect oil in the dipstick tube making it appear to be full. So i added more oil and it seems to have stopped it.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
wildBill83
CB7tuner Member

wildBill83 seems to have made some friends!
Park on level ground, pull dipstick and clean, re-insert then check the fluid level. You should never go by whats on it when you first pull it out...
wildBill83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #14
johnl
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
ok i figured out the oil light would come on when i go around corners , and that the dipstick would collect oil in the dipstick tube making it appear to be full. So i added more oil and it seems to have stopped it.
As wildBill says, it's obvious that you are checking the level incorrectly. Further, the dipstick will always be oily from the oil that is flung around inside the crankcase (even if the level is low), which will give a poor indication of the actual level. So, you need to first wipe any oil from the dipstick before re-inserting it into the engine.

While we're at this basic level and there at least seems to be some misconception of how to do it, I'll just mention that the engine needs to have been turned off for at least a short while before checking the oil level...
Old 11-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #15
emosun
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnl View Post
So, you need to first wipe any oil from the dipstick before re-inserting it into the engine.
I'm not stupid. I know to do that already. In fact at no point did I say "I'm a moron who has never checked the oil before"

The dipstick is collecting oil in the tube when it's reinserted , meaning i don't even have to insert the dipstick in all the way before it collects enough oil to appear as though it's full. it's just scraping oil off the sidewall of the tube
Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #16
johnl
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
I'm not stupid. I know to do that already. In fact at no point did I say "I'm a moron who has never checked the oil before"

The dipstick is collecting oil in the tube when it's reinserted , meaning i don't even have to insert the dipstick in all the way before it collects enough oil to appear as though it's full. it's just scraping oil off the sidewall of the tube
My apologies. The way I read (or misread) how you worded your post suggested a very basic level of misunderstanding. I have to say that I've not had a similar issue when checking the oil level on my Accord, my dipstick tube doesn't collect enough oil on it's walls to give a misleading reading.

I do have a similar issue to what you are describing on our Saab, but with that car the oil is poured down the same tube that the dipstick occupies (a relatively large diameter tube). After pouring in new oil the sides of the tube can be covered in enough oil that some rubs onto the dipstick and makes getting a clear level reading more difficult, unless you wait a little longer than with most other cars (I have the same trouble with the Briggs engine in my ride-on mower). It doesn't create a problem when just checking the level.

I am wondering why you are getting a significant amount of oil travelling up the tube. An explanation may be that crankcase pressure is high (due to excessive blow-by gas and / or blocked crankcase breathing system) and some pressurised gas may be escaping through the dip stick tube, possibly carrying some oil at least part way up the tube as it does so. Do you ever find that the dip-stick isn't quite seated at the top of the tube? If so then this might be because the pressure is pushing the dip-stick up until the dip-stick seal is no longer sealing the crankcase...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: