CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Suspension

Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member

BreckAConner is cool... so far.
Cheap Suspension Question

Hello,

I just bought my 5th accord, I plan on using it as a daily after I swap the tranny out since it's bad. The suspension on the car isn't in that great of shape, and I don't plan on doing anything special with this car or being hard on it.

If you search on eBay: "1990 honda accord suspension kit"

or

"Kit suspension steering parts control arms tie rod ball joint Honda Accord 90 93"

It comes with some ball joints, control arms, etc... My concern is the safety of these parts, so my question is has anyone had any luck with kits like this on eBay?
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
H311RA151N
Silver Member

H311RA151N seems to have made some friends! H311RA151N seems to have made some friends!
Junk. Not worth taking if someone wanted to give them to you.

If your concerned as to the safety of the parts then that alone should be enough to steer you away. Listen to your self. Don't look for someone else to come along to try and justify it.
H311RA151N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H311RA151N View Post
Junk. Not worth taking if someone wanted to give them to you.

If your concerned as to the safety of the parts then that alone should be enough to steer you away. Listen to your self. Don't look for someone else to come along to try and justify it.
Thanks man, I was looking for that straight answer.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
nope, those kits are good for installing when youre selling it and dont have to redo shit 3-4 months down the road lol. I had a good experience with the carquest parts i had to buy to replace my ebay stuff, they outlasted the car (~1 year later) Id even be more prone to reuse old stock stuff then new ebay no name stuff if moneys tight or what have you, if i was rich id use all oem, but its expensive, but lasts 20 years
Old 11-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckAConner View Post
Hello,

I just bought my 5th accord, I plan on using it as a daily after I swap the tranny out since it's bad. The suspension on the car isn't in that great of shape, and I don't plan on doing anything special with this car or being hard on it.

If you search on eBay: "1990 honda accord suspension kit"

or

"Kit suspension steering parts control arms tie rod ball joint Honda Accord 90 93"

It comes with some ball joints, control arms, etc... My concern is the safety of these parts, so my question is has anyone had any luck with kits like this on eBay?
DO NOT buy cheap parts off ebay for suspension, brakes, engine or other important safety features of your car. Period. You WILL regret it.

I bet they don't even have a brand name to them. And in the end you will pay twice as much fixing the part that broke and parts it has broken when they fail. In the end you will have wished you had just bought OEM or some quality part instead and the lesson will be learnt.

Cheap = not good. Period. Ever see a lower ball joint fail on a Honda while driving on the highway?

What I do recommend if you want to use ebay is find the OEM part # for the part(s) you want and search for that. At least then you will be ordering the OEM part at a cheaper price from China or wherever and you will be safe. There are other cheaper manufactured parts that are safe to use but stay away from the "no name ebay junk".
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
H311RA151N
Silver Member

H311RA151N seems to have made some friends! H311RA151N seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_erik View Post
nope, those kits are good for installing when youre selling it and dont have to redo shit 3-4 months down the road lol. I had a good experience with the carquest parts i had to buy to replace my ebay stuff, they outlasted the car (~1 year later) Id even be more prone to reuse old stock stuff then new ebay no name stuff if moneys tight or what have you, if i was rich id use all oem, but its expensive, but lasts 20 years
I used carquest outer tie rod ends on my 93. They made it 6 months.

Front upper control arms Dorman $35 each.
LBJ's OEM $55 pair.
Outer tie rod ends Moog $60 pair.
Sway bar end links Prothane $25.
*Inner tie rods ends I have never replaced before. I just replace the whole rack.*

That's the brands I would suggest. Prolly different for all of us but that's my suggestion.

And your welcome BreckAConner.

EDIT: Never mind Erik. I lied. I could have swore they were carquest but according to my pics they were something else.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 11-24-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
Cheap = not good. Period. Ever see a lower ball joint fail on a Honda while driving on the highway?
Not on the highway, but I've had mine fail on my 1st cb in a parking lot. I can't imagine the damage done if so.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Front upper control arms Dorman $35 each.
LBJ's OEM $55 pair.
Outer tie rod ends Moog $60 pair.
Sway bar end links Prothane $25.
*Inner tie rods ends I have never replaced before. I just replace the whole rack.*
Why did you have to replace the rack, do they usually go bad?
Old 11-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckAConner View Post
Why did you have to replace the rack, do they usually go bad?
Leaking. I have no idea if they go bad frequently or not. Sorry I can't help you there.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
Quote:
I just wanted to second this. I've done inner tie rods without doing the rack before but I don't think I will again. The replacement boots that I've found for this job are cheap plastic and not the high quality rubber like OEM. This won't hold to each end where it's clamped as well because there's not as much give in it. I've even had a pair that physically would not fit. If the cost of going OEM Honda is considered for the boots, then I'm approaching what I would be spending on a remanufactured rack. Plus I get the added benefit of a new steering rack with a warranty.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
If the cost of going OEM Honda is considered for the boots, then I'm approaching what I would be spending on a remanufactured rack. Plus I get the added benefit of a new steering rack with a warranty.
How good have the remanufactured racks been? Ever rebuilt one yourself? To the best of my knowledge, my 90 still has the original rack on it (inner and outer rods replaced) at 325,000 miles; I've never had to replace one on any of my Accords ('til now). My daughter is bringing the wagon home for Christmas and I know both boots are split. I'm debating just swapping in the rack as-is from my wrecked 93 EX (181,000), or installing new inners and boots, or rebuilding the entire rack (have all the seals) so I have it ready to go in when she gets home.
92 EX coupe auto 190,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210341
07 Element EX AWD 173,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right

Last edited by fleetw00d; 11-24-2014 at 10:54 PM.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
I just wanted to second this. I've done inner tie rods without doing the rack before but I don't think I will again. The replacement boots that I've found for this job are cheap plastic and not the high quality rubber like OEM. This won't hold to each end where it's clamped as well because there's not as much give in it. I've even had a pair that physically would not fit. If the cost of going OEM Honda is considered for the boots, then I'm approaching what I would be spending on a remanufactured rack. Plus I get the added benefit of a new steering rack with a warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
How good have the remanufactured racks been? Ever rebuilt one yourself? To the best of my knowledge, my 90 still has the original rack on it (inner and outer rods replaced) at 325,000 miles; I've never had to replace one on any of my Accords ('til now). My daughter is bringing the wagon home for Christmas and I know both boots are split. I'm debating just swapping in the rack as-is from my 93 EX (181,000), or installing new inners and boots, or rebuilding the entire rack (have all the seals) so I have it ready to go in when she gets home.
My 1993 had the OEM rack and was still good when it was smashed into sitting in a parking lot at 375,000 miles. (Yeah, my butt's still sore about it ). But my 1991 that I currently have was just pissing PSF everywhere and the boots were shot when I bought it in 2010.

I went with Detroit Axle. It seems to be a popular choice. I personally talked to the guy about a proper system flush when I received it and he seems like a straight shooter. They have a life time warranty and cost $135 shipped. Mine has 3500 miles on it currently. IDK how much of a testament that is to it but that's all I can say for mine personally.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 11-24-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
wildBill83
CB7tuner Member

wildBill83 seems to have made some friends!
I have a reman rack in my SE from AutoZone, no problems yet and over a year of service with a limited lifetime warranty. I spent around $170 for the unit and it had a core charge of around $50 if I recall correctly.
wildBill83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
My rack failed on my 93 coupe back in 2010 with maybe 225k on the odo.

I went with a NAPA unit for 210 including core exchange. Its been great, no noises, premium boots, they feel like a high quality silicone and zero leaks. Also has a lifetime warranty. I think mine was reman'd in the USA. I've got literally 5 locations nearby that could get one shipped to their store the next day, so that's one advantage over eBay. Plus, you won't have to pay shipping.

You could buy cheaper at Autozone, but its most likely using sub-par plastic brittle boots and remanufactured in Mexico.

I've never had an issue with any NAPA part I've purchased even if they're a bit more money.

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
97' Lexus LS400 295k miles.....Luxury Cruiser DD
89' SEi Coupe 42k miles one owner museum find
89' Accord SEi
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Autozone is an A1 Cardone. They also offer an Atlantic Automotive brand for about $25 more.

Waiting on a text back from a friend who works at Napa. But I could have swore he said A1 Cardone was one of their part suppliers.

I know with absolute certainty that my brake booster and master cylinder I bought for my truck from Napa two weeks ago was an A1 Cardone.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
I know this is bringing back an old thread, but it had some useful info for me. NAPA racks are Cardone; if you read the warranty for the rack on the NAPA site it is a Cardone warranty.
92 EX coupe auto 190,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210341
07 Element EX AWD 173,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #17
tommi
Accord of the Month: August 2011

tommi seems to have made some friends!
do it right the first time or dont do it at all

(125)Transactions and counting
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #18
lbus9168
Contributing Member

lbus9168 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Being that its extremely difficult to find quality replacement parts in Australia, without paying $150+ a bj, I tried using the eBay ones.

I found the quality control to be the biggest issue.

I got the midranged price setup that I could find ($100 for uca's, about $40 for a pair of ball joints, $50 for a pair of wheel bearings)

Now the wheel bearings are junk, lasted 10k km's/6k miles

The ball joints were quite good quality, I installed them January 2015, and as of November 2016 after a routine three month inspection (I'm super neurotic about making sure my car is running well) and about 20000 km's. There is no sign of wear or stress on the upper or lower ball joints or on the tie rod end.

I did find that the integra dc2 balljoint is identical, so I will probably source OEM dc2 balljoints to use when I replace them in 5k kms.

Overall: did it work better than the stock 270k units?

Yes.

Would I reccomend them?

No.

are they quality?

Sometimes.

Is it better to get the proper items when you can access them?

YES.

As someone who as actually tried them. Your legs won't fall of if you install them. But, do you check your suspension all the time? Do you constantly listen to your car for Boise's and have the mechanical knowledge to identify the noises quickly?

If not then absolutely get the name brand high quality stuff.

Also, I tested the strength of the eBay upper control arms vs OEM, and the eBay ones took more force to move.

I measures this using a vice and a hammer, attempting to keep the same pressure but with more force until it bent, obviously not very scientific but I had spares of both.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: