wagon.spec : 1991 Accord EX-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wagon.spec : 1991 Accord EX-R

I got the car bone stock with no engine or transmission in 2012. I daily drove it for a while until I lost my f22a to a crumbled bisimoto retainer at 6000 rpm on track.

ENGINE:
    JDM 1994 H22a
    600 miles after refresh at the time of this post (June 2018)[I wish I kept track of hours(Sept 2020)]
    Honda OEM Piston Rings
    King Race Main Bearings
    King Race Rod Bearings
    KSTuned balance shaft delete kit
    Gates Racing Timing belt
    KSTuned manual timing tensioner
    ATI Super Damper
    Exclusively filled with Amsoil Dominator 10w-30

Ferrea Spring Locators
    Ferrea Dual Endurance Valve Springs
    Ferrea Tool Steel Retainers
    Ferrea CNC Valve Locks

Hondata heat shield intake manifold gasket
    Stock intake manifold port matched to an S2000 F20c Throttle Body
    K&N Air Filter

OEM OBD1 H22 340cc Low-Impedance Injectors cleaned and flow tested by Injector Pulse in Chesapeake, Virginia
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    Fuel Tank vented to atmosphere through a roll over valve(deleted charcoal canister)
    EGR Block off/delete
    A/C and P/S removed
    Mocal Sandwich plate with AN fittings
    Setrab engine oil cooler with -8AN lines
    Koyo 53mm radiator

EXHAUST:
    1320 Performance 4-2-1 (Pre-production prototype, no idea how I managed to get them to send me this)
    2.5” header back exhaust welded together by me
    2.5”x14" Dynapypes straight through bullet muffler(located near center of car)

TRANSMISSION:
    M2F5
    Mfactory Metal Plate Diff >
    4.64 final drive
    Exedy oem clutch
    Stainless braided clutch line(deletes dampener)

EXTERIOR:
    Front windows removed(except for windshield)
    Rear windows are lexan
    FIA Afterburner Rain light
    Front right headlight removed to allow air to filter

INTERIOR:
    6-point roll cage with NASCAR door bars on both sides extending deep into doors
    Cage welded by my father and I, tubing purchased from RollCageConponents
    Kirkey containment seat
    RaceQuip 5-point harness
    Heater core removed
    Innovate Wideband AFR
    Innovate Oil temp/pressure
    Longacre Racing killswitch
    Battery in trunk/hatch area
    Cheddas Auto adjustable CNC shifter
    NRG quick release and wheel

SUSPENSION/WHEELS/BRAKES:
    Fortune Auto 500 coilovers(upgraded to one off 510s, more to come possibly)
    20k/10k as of right now
    Poly bushings
    Progress Rear 22mm Sway Bar
    SPC Front upper balljoints(want to look into a better way to adjust camber)
    Boxed in rear lower control arms
    No front swaybar
    Kingpin Machine radius rod spherical bearings

R-O-H Conversion from TAS(R.I.P.)
    Wilwood hats redrilled from 5x114.3 to 4x114.3
    Fastbrakes slotted rotors
    Wilwood superlite 6 piston front calipers
    Rabestos ST43 Race pads up front
    JEGS 2 in, 3 out adjustable proportion valve
    Honed booster delete with 7/8” civic master cylinder
    TAS Auto rear disc conversion for drum cars, bored out to fit larger wagon wheel bearing
    Stock Rear calipers
    Carbotech XP8 Rear pad
    Stoptech slotted rotors (rear)

BuddyClub P1 15x8s
    Kosei K1 15x7
    Rota Slipstream 15x7

AUDIO:
    Weight Reduction
    No speakers/radio
    LISTEN TO THE EXHAUST

Future:
    I need to cut out about 50lbs to get the car down to 2625 with driver
    I’m going to cut out the rusted quarters this winter and weld in not rusted ones haha

Last edited by wagon.spec; 09-16-2020, 05:00 AM.
    IG: H2wagon
    https://www.youtube.com/@H2wagon

Already one of my favorite builds on the site

Engine looks like a simple setup, just beefed up in key areas. Do you know what power you're making?

And when you say you're working with a couple companies to make coilovers... is the plan to have them put into real production for anyone to buy? My plan now has just been to get Variant 2s, so some more proper options would be great, since my wagon will also see track time.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Hell yeah. That wagon looks like fun. Very cool.
      5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

I completely forgot to mention, the car is built for Honda Challenge 2 for road racing with NASA. Class rules say the h22 has to be stock with the exception of the parts I’ve done. It made 193whp/153wtq on a dynopack but I’m hoping to make a little more power and then detune it after swapping to a 1320 performance 4-2-1 header. I’ll keep you posted on that as well.

And for the coilovers, Mfactory actually said if they get five orders they can make a production run. So that’s one option. The other two companies I’m working with may or may not offer it. Fortune Auto will do it for anyone but the two ways from them are in the upper $3000 range as they’re considered custom built.
        Last edited by wagon.spec; 06-26-2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

You had D2s on your wagon before right? I think my friend bought that old set from you if thats the case.

Nice build too btw
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
            You had D2s on your wagon before right? I think my friend bought that old set from you if thats the case.

Nice build too btw
            Dan? Yes I did. They were originally supposed to be place holders so I could track the car for the time being, but They worked much much better than what I was expecting so they got lowered on the priority list. And thank you! I’ll have to sort through all the misc progress photos sometime this weekend and order them better.

And an update on the coilover thing. The route I’m going to take is likely to pick up some fortunes now and then in a couple of seasons decide whether to upgrade the fortunes or have Anze build me a custom set of shocks. Probably Penskes. This will get me back on track in time to make the August race at VIR.

Comment

What a beast! Great build. Props to you and your pops on the cage!

The video you posted isn't playing though.
              1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

cool to see another CB being tracked, and a wagon no less! superb work here.

some questions:
                how do you deal with oil starvation? I spun a bearing on my last H22 due to lateral g's during cornering. a baffled pan is the obvious solution, so are you running one? if not perhaps you are running more oil than normal?

how do you like the feel pedal feel without a booster? I see you have an adjustable prop valve anyway. I never liked driving a car with a deleted booster, even on the street it did not inspire confidence.

how do you like your LSD? I'm running the factory LSD in the M2B4 trans and it's decent but I'm sure a the mfactory is nice. I'm running the same clutch as you, but what flywheel are you using?

very interested in your next suspension setup. I'm in the market for a nice set of track coilovers and looked into fortune auto. Penske is too rich for my blood but if you can get more details on the mfactory I'd like to consider it.
                1cor10:31
                - 92 LX coupe
                - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool View Post
                  cool to see another CB being tracked, and a wagon no less! superb work here.

some questions:
                  how do you deal with oil starvation? I spun a bearing on my last H22 due to lateral g's during cornering. a baffled pan is the obvious solution, so are you running one? if not perhaps you are running more oil than normal?

how do you like the feel pedal feel without a booster? I see you have an adjustable prop valve anyway. I never liked driving a car with a deleted booster, even on the street it did not inspire confidence.

how do you like your LSD? I'm running the factory LSD in the M2B4 trans and it's decent but I'm sure a the mfactory is nice. I'm running the same clutch as you, but what flywheel are you using?

very interested in your next suspension setup. I'm in the market for a nice set of track coilovers and looked into fortune auto. Penske is too rich for my blood but if you can get more details on the mfactory I'd like to consider it.

Sorry for the delayed response!

So first off, I completely failed to mention I’m actually running the pan from Moroso. It’s baffled with trap doors. With the oil cooler and kicked out pan, total fill after engine rebuild was something like 7.25 quarts but on an oil change is closer to 6.5. So that helps immensely.

The pedal is extremely easy to push and much easier to modulate as it has more travel now. Not just because of the smaller diameter master cylinder but also the pedal ratio is different from drilling another hole closer to the pivot point. I absolutely love it and, keep in mind, I’m road racing so I’m using a lot of brake pedal. I’ve never been more confident in brakes as I am now.

I again apologize for leaving out the flywheel. I have the lightweight three piece fidanza. The $60 surface replacement was my selling point. I’ve nevwr had any issues with it. And of course I should mention I’m using ARP fasteners for the clutch and the flywheel.

I’m extremely happy with the LSD, it’s pretty wicked. Definitely made it more obvious that I had a front/rear Iimbalance in spring rate/damper settings. But the traction is pretty phenomenal and it certainly is working better than my previous LSD as far as any issues with the inside tire locking up under heavy braking through bends.

Mfactory is willing to straight up custom make 5 sets of coilovers for our chassis if we set up a group buy. I imagine that they wouldn’t have to be all valved the same but I’d have to pursue that further.

I just ordered fortune 500s though. I’ll decide later on down the road if I want to have them upgraded to a 2-way or if I am going to go with the custom Penskes. As I still haven’t heard back from BC Racing, I was tired of waiting for an answer, though for the price, If they tell me yes, they’ll make them, I will still consider it a valid option.

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
                    What a beast! Great build. Props to you and your pops on the cage!

The video you posted isn't playing though.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/SOHCwagon

And thank you very much. I appreciate it.
                    Last edited by wagon.spec; 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Do you have much track time with the Moroso pan? I've been looking into an Accusump and trying to find a good sandwich plate that can accommodate that and a couple sensors, because I was reading that people were having problems with the Moroso pan not doing anything for road racing. But those were old forum posts on other sites, so I'm curious if they ever updated the design to address complaints. I'll still go Accusump for its help against dry starts, but you can't have too much insurance on an expensive build.
                      Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-10-2018, 07:55 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

It's awesome to lay eyes on another CB race car. The only one I've ever seen was running in the Honda Challenge 2 same as you a few years back. Also thanks for sharing your feedback on the parts you're using; it's definitely helpful information to have.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                          Do you have much track time with the Moroso pan? I've been looking into an Accusump and trying to find a good sandwich plate that can accommodate that and a couple sensors, because I was reading that people were having problems with the Moroso pan not doing anything for road racing. But those were old forum posts on other sites, so I'm curious if they ever updated the design to address complaints. I'll still go Accusump for its help against dry starts, but you can't have too much insurance on an expensive build.
                          I’ve actually got tons of track time with the Moroso and I have never had oil starvation issues like that.
                          And I’ve got a Mocal thermostatic plate with a setrab cooler but I’m using a sensor installed in place of the stock one. Then the oil temp sender is in the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                            It's awesome to lay eyes on another CB race car. The only one I've ever seen was running in the Honda Challenge 2 same as you a few years back. Also thanks for sharing your feedback on the parts you're using; it's definitely helpful information to have.
                            I’m an open book! And That’s Karl! I had actually messaged him years and years ago. Then in May I was supposed to race with him in a field of 17 cars in H2 but I had issues and DNS. but Karl actually won that race at Hyperfest this year. I highly recommend trying to find his video of the in car footage on YouTube. I’ll link it at some point if I can remember to do so. “Hyperfest 2018 VIR ACCORD Honda challenge” would probably be a good search

Comment

Update

I put fortune auto 500s on the car and I just ran Summit Point’s main course and the car feels absolutely amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X