Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Power Steering Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering Help!

Hey guys, when i was in the process of doing my blue top swap i did the power steering loop like ive seen on all the how to's. block off the pressure line coming from the rack with a plug,cut then loop the lines going to the vss and the cooler, and use the line coming from the reservoir for a breather/filler.

Fast forward some time, now i want PS back. I got a h bracket pump and line, everything's installed but i keep popping the hose thats looped from the vss and the cooler, new hose, multiple hose clamps, tried a bunch of different stuff.... my question is, can i plug those two lines directly at the rack? and just keep the pressure line coming in and the line out to the reservoir, or will the rack not like that? my vss is looped at the sensor itself, and the cooler was thrown in the trash years ago. ANY input would be helpful, thanks!

So I've 'eliminated' my cooler and was going to have to loop the VSS too soon, and I think your problem is you are blocking and not looping. No way some metal clamps and rubber hose will stop the pressure as I believe it can be 200+ psi. What you want to do is loop these lines properly so it goes back into the system in the proper direction.

Comment

What would be the proper way to loop them but keep the pressure line in and the line out from the reservoir?
      I’m going to try blocking them off today and hope all goes well...

Comment

If you're putting the pump back in, seems like it would be prudent to put a cooler back in as well.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Yes sir I agree, I’ve heard of people not running a cooler and it being fine, but I do auto x and have a couple track days this year and I’d like to make a custom setup. This will just be to get it back up and going.

Comment

Doesn't putting a loop in place of the VSS significantly reduce the power assist? The VSS (as I understand it) partially bypasses the supply flow from the pump based on differential ring gear speed to reduce the power assist at higher speeds; it is is open loop doesn't it just short circuit the pump supply (time to study the service manual!)?
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

It looks like the reservoir has an outlet to the cooler and one back to the rack, I think the feed from the rack to the vss has a tee somewhere in the line back from the cooler to the rack. I could be wrong, I removed all of my hardlines a long time ago. I looped the vss line with fluid in it at the sensor a long time ago, never had a vss issue. If it does make a full circle I should be okay to block those ports off at the rack and just use the inlet from pump and outlet to reservoir, I think lol. That’s what I’m struggling with 😑

Comment

Yeah I think fleetw00d is right about the looping thing. I believe that the VSS with the power steering is somewhat based on the speed the vehicle is traveling.
                So at whatever amount of speed you are going, the power steering will assist x amount to compensate with the speed.
                That probably sounded weird but I can't think of how to describe it.

Slower = More Assist
                Faster = Less Assist

At least that is what I believe. Correct me please if I am wrong lol.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by jross360 View Post
                  What would be the proper way to loop them but keep the pressure line in and the line out from the reservoir?
                  I’m going to try blocking them off today and hope all goes well...
                  Jross360, what I'm saying is don't block the lines, loop them.
                  Ex: if you eliminate the PS cooler, you loop the two lines you cut and cap off two lines.
                  Ex: if you eliminate the VSS lines you loop them.

There is too much pressure in the system to cap it off. You could technically loop at the rack too but you'd have to know what hard lines before hand (manual may have this). Oh and i found this:

http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=81761

And I always wondered about the VSS lines. Sooo... let me go look at my car.

Comment

So here it is:

(the second pic i stole off the web)
                    I don't fully understand this but I'm assuming B and D are just output lines?
                    It see how the system is different than other hondas. Thus why we have 2 in lets on our reservoir. But it looks like

B = outlet which is split between the VSS and reservoir
                    D = inlet from VSS

I wish I knew how this worked but I don't. I'm guessing from the amount of fluid the VSS lets by (from spinning faster) it allows more fluid to assist in the pushing of the PS gears. I'm curious how much of a difference this really makes...

Comment

Thank you for the input guys! I’ve been studying that diagram with the lines at the bottom of the rack.. the hardlines B and D I cut short after they make the 90 out of the rack and kept about 4” of straight hardline, then I looped them previously on my ‘breather style’ setup. Never had an issue with leaks or pressure on that setup. Kept them looped but added the pressure line in from pump and kept popping them, I am going to try better hose clamps, or get a custom hose made, or get some sort of NPT to AN fittings and use those as cooler lines. I will update you guys tomorrow!

Comment

Can someone comment if B & D are both output lines or is one input and one output?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                          So here it is:

(the second pic i stole off the web)
                          I don't fully understand this but I'm assuming B and D are just output lines?
                          It see how the system is different than other hondas. Thus why we have 2 in lets on our reservoir. But it looks like

B = outlet which is split between the VSS and reservoir
                          D = inlet from VSS

I wish I knew how this worked but I don't. I'm guessing from the amount of fluid the VSS lets by (from spinning faster) it allows more fluid to assist in the pushing of the PS gears. I'm curious how much of a difference this really makes...
                          I don't see the diagrams and I'm out of town (so no access to my manual). The VSS works by effectively reducing the flow of the pump; the higher the speed, the more flow it takes away from what the pump is delivering to reduce the assist at higher speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                            I don't see the diagrams and I'm out of town (so no access to my manual). The VSS works by effectively reducing the flow of the pump; the higher the speed, the more flow it takes away from what the pump is delivering to reduce the assist at higher speeds.
                            So you think for the VSS lines one is input line and the other is output? (creating a loop of fluid through the VSS)

Comment

from what ive been seeing, yes raf. I just removed all the oem hardlines a long time ago when i painted the bay, and didnt put them back in, so i cant tell whats going where..

havent touched the car in a few days been super busy at work. Thinking about just going back to my looped setup with no ps. OR getting a line made at a hydraulic shop to connect the two?

Comment

Working...
                              X