H22 vs H23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tunerman
    from the ludes i've seen, the h23 ludes are way faster than the h22 ludes.
    TORQUE OWNS

Comment

I also believe they have iron sleeves.

I've seen turbo'd h23's with over 500whp. They lasted a very long while.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
        I also believe they have iron sleeves.

I've seen turbo'd h23's with over 500whp. They lasted a very long while.

The H23 has the same FRM sleeves and closed deck as the OBD-I H22.

The sleeves are not inherently weak. The H22 doesn't like boost because of the relatively high compression ratio, and the typical Honda boost weaknesses like ring landings etc.
        Last edited by owequitit; 02-07-2007, 01:16 AM.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
          x2 I remember bjaccord mentioning that.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
            weird.

then Im really wondering why the hell do h22's not take boost so well.

Most likely the tuner sucks ass and the turbo is probably not matched correctly for the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
              weird.

then Im really wondering why the hell do h22's not take boost so well.

Most likely the tuner sucks ass and the turbo is probably not matched correctly for the engine.

Sorry, I was editing while you were replying...

See my post above LOL!
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

but 10.6 isnt that high really.

Comment

from what ive heard and read the h22 pistons like to crack... so when people try to swap the pistons to lets say forged after market pistons the fmr sleeves get all f'ed up... which is why h22's "should" be sleeved before aftermarket pistons are used... but thats just what i have read and whether or not i should believe everything i read.... i dont know

To see my car click here

Bordeaux Red Crew #8

Comment

if your wanting to boost in the future then go with the H23 since the H22 doesnt really go well with boosting without having to resleeve it.

Comment

I have the JDM f22b dohc swapped into my cb7, and I love it! Picks up great!
                      5th Gen. Lude Team I <3 JDM

Comment

The "JDM H23 VTEC" is only vtec on the intake side and has 55mm main bearings. I wish I could find a used crank for my F23
                        Life is wide, limitless. There is no border, no frontier ~ Bruce
                        My Page!

Comment

Cast Honda internals are not great for boost. They are not made for it, and can only take so much before they give. Therefore, forged internals are necessary. FRM sleeves make the selection of forged internals quite limited, and require a full resleeve for anything else. All H series engines have FRM sleeves, I believe... That means that the lower-compression of the H23 gives a little more room for tuning error, but otherwise it is no better for boost than the H22.

Honestly, if you want boost, get the CHEAPEST motor you can find (F22A1), rebuild it with full sleeves and forged internals (shop smart and you'll spend about as much as an H22 would cost.) Put a proper sized turbo with quality components and a good tune together, and you'll have a monster. There's no need to get an H to make things more difficult!

Comment

why not go for the H23 DOHC VTEC? its got the same power as the prelude H22, but more torque, and yes, torque owns..

if i had to choose between an H22a from a CD6 and an H23 from a CH6 (CF4 wagon), i'd snap up the H23, no brainer.. the JDM H23 was a bored out H22.. different from the USDM H23..

and the irony is that some H23 DOHC VTEC's have been shipped at a lower price than most H22's.. but the H23 DOHC VTEC only came in 4 spd tiptronic, no manual, boohoo.. just like the H22 type-s..

my 2 cents..

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                            Honda Accord Euro-R
                            Honda Odyssey Absolute
                            Honda City I-DSi
                            Honda Stream

Comment

ok so h23s ARE vtec motors??? i didnt know that. but u guys have all helped alot, THANKS SO MUCH. i have a aftermarket e manifold right now, and i got someone holding a aem sri for my f22, ima pay for that (caus itd be wrong to not buy it now since he held it for me so long) but then ima STOP spending money on my f22 and save for a H23!! thanks guys
                              "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                              "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                              Disregard females, acquire currency
                              BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

No, H23s are NOT VTEC motors. There was a very uncommon OBD2 H23 in Japan that was VTEC, but it was more of an overbored H22 (as blizzard335 said). Aside from the displacement, it bears very little resemblance to the USDM H23 that you'll be looking at.

A USDM H23 would be a bad investment, IMO. USDM motors often have high mileage. Not to mention the H23 is a Prelude-only motor... The Prelude is a sporty car, and is often driven as such. High mileage + teenage beatings = short lifespan. That doesn't mean that the JDM motors haven't been driven hard, but they usually have lower mileage (as long as you buy from a reputable dealer, like hmotorsonlne.com)

If you want turbo, I say stick to the F22. It's very capable. If you want NA performance and will be happy with 175-200whp, grab the H22. Once you reach that level, the H22 starts getting pretty expensive. The H23 isn't a bad motor, but honestly, it's not the best choice for anything. F22 is much cheaper and more common, H22 has a better aftermarket (and is also more common, since they made the H23 for the 5th generation Prelude as well).

Comment

Working...
                                X